Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repair Books...............

As I have mentioned far more than most people want to hear, I'm considering moving the components from a Trek 1200 to a Soma frame and might need help.

In case I do this myself, and one lbs quoted me $100 for the job, I am looking for a repair manual that can help.......when, not if.....I screw up.

The search pulled up Zinn's and Park Tools, so I posted over here to get a mature answer.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a free resource: http://www.parktool.com/repair/

As for books, I like Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenence. Straightforward with good illustrations. Of course, there may be other good books.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last bicycle maintenance book you'll ever need is the four volume Barnett's Manual. amazon.com has it at a substantial discount.
    - Stan

My Bikes
    In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an old wrench I have collected many over the years. I have both Zinn and Park. They are both good. If I were to pick between only those two for a rebuild I would pick Park. The best manual is the four volume Barnett’s manual. They also have Maintenance school in Colorado. The book and School is the best you will find on the market. Trick is the book is about $115 and worth every penny. If you only do one bike every few years. Maybe $100 at a “good” LBS is worth it.

Just checked the link in post #3 at that price it is a deal. I heard from Barnett's that this is the last paper version. I would grab it at that price.

They also have a PDF version that is updated often.

Good luck

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I needed printed help to swap out my handlebars I just went with the bike repair book in the local library. Free and instantly available. Name? No idea.
    This space open

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repair Books...........

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper
    The last bicycle maintenance book you'll ever need is the four volume Barnett's Manual. amazon.com has it at a substantial discount.
    Amazon link appears to be the 4th edition. Other link shows 5th?

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Todd Downs book. At $20 at Barnse and Noble, it's certainly priced well. When Downs describes how to complete a repair, he does a good job. My problem with the book is, occaisionally, he does not describe how to complete a repair, but recommends you 'take it to a qualified mechanic'. Twice I've completed repairs with the help of BF members but without help from my book. Every other repair I've made has been included in Downs book. I think for general maintenance, Downs is fine, well written and well priced. If you plan on doing your own build-up, well, you may or may not find everything you want. YMMV.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found Shimano's information on their website in the technical area useful from time to time (assuming it's Shimano components). In fact, I just printed out information on replacing a rear derailleur and it helped me a good bit especially getting it properly aligned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2007 Waterford 953 RS-22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106
    Amazon link appears to be the 4th edition. Other link shows 5th?
    Not sure why you think the Amazon link is for the 4th edition. Viewing the "Inside this Book", "Front Cover", lower left it says "Volume 1, Fifth Edition"....
    - Stan

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I've found Shimano's information on their website in the technical area useful from time to time (assuming it's Shimano components). In fact, I just printed out information on replacing a rear derailleur and it helped me a good bit especially getting it properly aligned.
    Thanks for the heads up JPPE, I was not aware of that link.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator