Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bar extender question

Beginning to get the hang of this cycling stuff now...

Helpful advice on this forum has resolved most of my positional aches and pains. Despite maximum adjustment however my handlebars are still too low(say many of you and others). I think this may be the cause of my hand and finger numbness ie too much weight on the wrists.

LBS seemed happy to help but its the kind of place where anything non standard has to purchased and brought to them for fitting. They sent me off to get a 1" stem extender. This was difficult to track down but I eventually found the one on the picture. The outside diameter of the narrower section is 25.4 mm and the inside diam of the fatter section is surprise surprise.. 25.4 also.

It doesn't fit. Not surprising really, I've just measured the "stem" (ie that silvery bit that goes down into the frame, as shown) outside diameter at 22.1mm on my caliper. The bike's a Peugeot 1970/80's vintage.

Why do I stick with the LBS? Well, setting aside their relaxed approach to deadlines, quality, answering their phone etc, they are very cheap. They found me rare 7 speed STI levers so I've been able to drop my hated downtube shifters. Cost, with fitting and cables 30 UKP ($54), so I suppose I can't complain.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get much sense out them yesterday. They'd been watching England's shaky and unconvincing soccer win over Paraguay 1-0. Unsettled, drunk and high... why, they couldn't get me out of the shop fast enough.

Any suggestions about the handlebar height to take back to the guys when they're in a better mood?

Al
    Attached Images Attached Images

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you have got is a 1.125" to 1.125" adaptor for threaded steerer to Aheadset type system

I use to fit these as a matter of course about 5 or 6 years ago to all my mates bikes and is a very easy way of converting from one steerer sustem to the latest.

What you want is a 1" to 1.125" converter- but this will still cause you a problem on height as it will just leave a short extension out of the top of the forks to take a standard ahead type stem. There is an extender you can then get to raise but you are probably talking arounfd 50 to 60 to get it sorted.

This is not a store I frequent very often but if you want the hard to get part, or something unusual- this is the place to get it. Goes for all those old obsolete parts that have not been made for 30 years aswell- for the Vintage bike owners on the forum.

My suggestion is that you look at the range of 1" quill stems this store has to offer, and go for the longest stem with the highest Angle that they stock. This will be cheaper than converting your existing stem.

If you do get stuck- See the attachment as this is the type of extender you should have got- 1" to 1,125" It ia an old one that I bought years ago, and has a sleeve so it will work on 1" and 1.125" steerers.

Scroll down on the link to find

Stems-1" quill

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

If I change the quill stem, would that involve taking the tape off the bars? Be a pity that... just got that new Specialized Phat Bar stuff - works brilliantly.

Al

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got three things to say to you: Nitto Technomic stem.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abarkley
    Thanks

If I change the quill stem, would that involve taking the tape off the bars? Be a pity that... just got that new Specialized Phat Bar stuff - works brilliantly.

Al

St Johns show one bar stem that is front loading. Providing you can get the stem currently off your bike without damaging the tape- you will need a front loading type of stem. That stem is a Tranz X and is 100 mm with a 30degree rise and a max extension of 100mm. Measure up your existing stem and see if this is better suited than your existing one. If still short- then look for a longer one with the extension height that is as long as possible.

Unfortunately- Most bike shops only stock the new equipment for modern bikes- but any GOOD Lbs will be able to source the unusual parts that some of us require. Try another shop and see if they can help-- Which part of London by the way as I do know some goos shops in South London area.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again.

I live in central/south London viz London Bridge area.