Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: 11/32 Report

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11/32 Report

I did a century using the 11/32 cassette with the Deore XT rear derailleur on Miss Lightweight and I'm really, really happy with it. While the century I did today did not have a lot of climbing, with the faster pace and rolling hills it was sufficient to run it through the gears, see how the front chain ring worked, etc.

I was really worried that the shifting would seem really sloppy going from a 10 speed DuraAce rear derailleur to a Deore XT RD with a mountain bike cassette. I was very pleasantly surprised how it shifted and spun under load. While it's certainly not as crisp, it is much more than adequate. In fact, I would put it on par with my experience with an Ultegra setup.

The century I did today was pretty flat so I'm not sure I even got in the 28 let alone the 32. I did use the 50/11 several times, especially going down some descents and also closing a gap a time or two. The spacing of gears works okay as well. There's a couple of gaps my preference would be to have something between a gear but that's just a matter of getting used to adjusting your cadence.

I do have a little chain rub on the front derailleur that I didn't have with the 10 speed chain but I can tweak the derailleur using the 2 positions of the front shifter and get rid of it. I suspect that's just the difference in the width of the 9 speed chain versus the 10 speed chain.

I have a really hilly mountain century in two weeks and now I have a lot of confidence that I can survive it with this new setup. Having the 28 with the 50/34 is going to be nice. Having a bailout with a 34/32 is going to be terrific!!

I hope to get up to the mountains for a ride this week to give it one more test with a lot of climbing. If anyone would like more details on the setup just PM me. I'll be happy to share what I've done.

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The XT is a really good RDR. We have one on our tandem and it works great. They were on sale for awhile at Jenson for $39, so I got an extra one. Should have purchased 2. Ours is also set up with an 11 X 34 cogset and a triple chainring (52/42/30). It's perfect gearing for a tandem. About 3 weeks ago we climbed for about 25 miles, up into the S.W. corner of Wyoming where it borders Utah. There's a neat corner state monument up there. It was a hell of a climb (probably more than 3,000 feet), but what a blast coming down, speeds approaching 50 M.P.H. Your XT will give you great service.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im so glad to hear that the set up has worked out. Now I've got something to comtemplate. A 34/32 combination should take you very close to being able to climb up walls. I've got a few 15 to 18% grades that have been killing me. So, it's a real attractive option to consider. Thanks for the post.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report. With all the mountains in Colorado, this sounds like something I might like to try as well.