Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chased!...Twice!!

So there I was last night, tooling along at a leisurely 12 mph, determined to get in a ride of about 8 miles or so after dinner. It was a glorious evening...temperature about 70 degrees, little or no wind, and virtually no traffic on my neighborhood loop. The only sounds were an occassional chirping bird, the wind whistling through my helmet, and the sound of rubber meeting the road. It was literally The Perfect Storm.

Without warning, in my peripheral vision I see a furry brown ball looking to cut me off and then a blood curdling high pitched scream, Noooooooooooooooo! Darting across a lawn to my right was a Pomerianian, hell bent on giving chase. I swerved to avoid the critter and took off, leaving him in the dust, although he didn't quit for about 100 feet. Heck, I know it was a little dog but they still have teeth.

Well, I had about 2 miles to go to meet my goal for the night and decided not to tempt fate and the dog owners wrath (although he should have been on a leash) by making another pass. I also didn't want to run over the dog or have my rather bony ankle become a dog treat so I decided to change my route for the last two miles.

My choice of an alternate route, however, left much to be desired.
    Once again I hear the familiar, Nooooooooooooo! This time it's a Brown Lab, still a puppy, but twice the size of the Pomeranian. He's coming at me on an angle with the owner in hot pursuit as well. I'm pedaling like hell once again until he gives it up with the owner hanging onto his tail.

At about this point I'm thinking, "What the hecks going on here?" Luckily my 8 miles flashed on the odometer and although I was feeling good and wanted to ride more, the dogs kept getting progressively bigger, and who knew what was around the corner...a Pit Bull?...a Rottweiler?...or Cujo himself?
    I headed home and hugged my cat when I got through the door.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, another advantage of cats... I've never been chased by one.

I have never been bitten while riding, but I always assume there will be a first time, if I am not careful.

On an organized ride this weekend, I saw several dogs in unfenced yards, and at two points some of them barked and ran back and forth parallel to the road, but about 20 feet away... I was alert just in case their direction changed, but it didn't veer toward the road. After this happened twice, I passed a yard with little flags in the lawn and a sign announcing that the dog was protected by a doggie fence (some other wording but it escapes me now)... and the row of flags across the front was about the same distance from the road as the other dogs were...

So this explained to me how come the earlier dogs were so well mannered.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay someone has to ask:

Did you give them The Look?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is good interval training. You need to thank the dog owners!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fluffy was right around the corner.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go back and talk to the owners. Tell them who you are, and ask if they want help in training their dogs not to chase bicycles. Offer to fill a water bottle with vinegar or lemon juice and ride slowly past the dogs. When they give chase have the owners yell the dog's name followed with a strong no. If the dog continues chasing, you get to squirt them with the vinegar or lemon juice. Aim right for the face while also giving a strong firm shout of no. I wouldn't, however, try this with Fluffy. The two dogs you encountered, yes. Fluffy... No, switch to interval training. On a serious note, I know a guy who carries one of those small air horns that use compressed air in a can. Boaters use them, and you can buy small sized ones that will fit in a jersey pocket. My friend says he waits until the dog is about 15 to 20 feet away and then hits the air horn. According to him, he's never had a dog not stop when he did that.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were probably in more danger from the pomeranian. The little ones are fiercest. I've seen my Jack Russell Terrier chasing a German Shepard down the street.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Artkansas,
    I think you're right. The Pomeranian had blood in his eyes. The Lab just looked like he wanted to have some fun. Typically this is not a neighborhood with stray dogs or that could be a big problem.

Just got back from my evening ride and...NO DOGS!
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear you outran them!! My biggest fear is a dog getting under a wheel and taking a rider down as opposed to getting bitten. I've seen several riders go down from dogs getting in the way......

We have a route we usually do with our group on Tuesdays and Thursdays and never see a dog. I take my wife out riding doing the same route and 3 dogs give chase. Go figure......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, you've really depressed me. Whatever happened to jumping off the bike on to all fours. facing down the wannabe devil dawg with a fierce growl, barring your teeth, lusting to sink them into some pound puppy flesh! The Corps cried because of you today, you b@stard!

"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chipcom, You ALWAYS make me laugh.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    Dude, you've really depressed me. Whatever happened to jumping off the bike on to all fours. facing down the wannabe devil dawg with a fierce growl, barring your teeth, lusting to sink them into some pound puppy flesh! The Corps cried because of you today, you b@stard!

10 bonus points for this one....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pain ?? What Pain !!
    My Bikes
    2010 Felt F75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!!
    2010 Felt F75

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a few years ago, at age 16, I rode my first 10 speed. My neighbor's huge (as in 70-80 lbs) twin black labs would attack me on both sides as I approached the house. After a couple times I filled a squirt *** with ammonia water and was ready for the rematch. Not to worry for the dogs - as soon as I pulled the squirt *** they took off and I never got a shot.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding up a hill one day and a little 3 legged mutt came after me. I was looking back at him and laughing when I missed a front shift and the little SOB got a hold of my foot . he nearly chewed my shoe off.

My Bikes
    Giant ATX 870, Jamis Pro.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago when I was living back in Ireland I did a bike trip from my home in Dublin to Killarney in County Kerry. I took a long loop of a ride, through the back roads, and spent a great 7 days in all cycling. In all I cycled through 8 Irish counties and the trip made me some what of an expert on the average Irish farm dog.
    My first day saw me cycle through Dublin unscathed and enter County Wicklow where I experienced my first friendly dog. Cycling up an overgrown, leafy lane I spied the little beast about 2 seconds before he launched himself from the grass straight at me. He came like a rocket and I got such a fright that I swerved all over the road to avoid it. It was a small terrier like thing but that did not stop me ‘effing and blinding’ it and his now concerned owner for about 5 minutes. In fact the owner never appeared from behind the stone wall of their house but called the dog inside.
    County Carlow saw me pass several farm dogs that barked loudly and never moved an inch.
    Kilkenny seemed to be full of sleeping dogs which I let lie.
    Tipperary was the same as Carlow.
    Waterford the dogs were noisy and chased me for a few feet which probably made them feel good.
    Cork dogs looked, yawned and turned over.
    Kerry dogs were a beast of a different colour though. Once here I had to put the bike between myself and 2 biggish brutes that came out of a farmyard. I did not have the speed to outride them on a hill, going up, so hopped off and walked around them. Also gave them and their missing owners a good ‘bollicking’ in passing.
    In all though it was interesting to see the habits of different ‘county’ dogs. Don’t mean to put any one off cycling in Ireland as the back country roads are great for cycling and passing so many farm houses one is always likely to met a dog. I did enjoy on occasion flying down some roads and zipping past a dog before he knew I was there. Of course these were probably the chasers of the cyclists that followed me!! It was my little revenge.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rothar
    A couple of years ago when I was living back in Ireland I did a bike trip from my home in Dublin to Killarney in County Kerry. I took a long loop of a ride, through the back roads, and spent a great 7 days in all cycling. In all I cycled through 8 Irish counties and the trip made me some what of an expert on the average Irish farm dog.
    My first day saw me cycle through Dublin unscathed and enter County Wicklow where I experienced my first friendly dog. Cycling up an overgrown, leafy lane I spied the little beast about 2 seconds before he launched himself from the grass straight at me. He came like a rocket and I got such a fright that I swerved all over the road to avoid it. It was a small terrier like thing but that did not stop me ‘effing and blinding’ it and his now concerned owner for about 5 minutes. In fact the owner never appeared from behind the stone wall of their house but called the dog inside.
    County Carlow saw me pass several farm dogs that barked loudly and never moved an inch.
    Kilkenny seemed to be full of sleeping dogs which I let lie.
    Tipperary was the same as Carlow.
    Waterford the dogs were noisy and chased me for a few feet which probably made them feel good.
    Cork dogs looked, yawned and turned over.
    Kerry dogs were a beast of a different colour though. Once here I had to put the bike between myself and 2 biggish brutes that came out of a farmyard. I did not have the speed to outride them on a hill, going up, so hopped off and walked around them. Also gave them and their missing owners a good ‘bollicking’ in passing.
    In all though it was interesting to see the habits of different ‘county’ dogs. Don’t mean to put any one off cycling in Ireland as the back country roads are great for cycling and passing so many farm houses one is always likely to met a dog. I did enjoy on occasion flying down some roads and zipping past a dog before he knew I was there. Of course these were probably the chasers of the cyclists that followed me!! It was my little revenge.
    Dogs througout the 32 counties are yowling, "You'lll never beat the Irish. You'll never beat the Irish. You'll never beat the irish, no matter how you try."

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many times have you been snapped at only to scare the dog with a kick that misses? Last ride I made BEAUTIFUL contact with the toe of my shoe square to the jaw of a 50 lb mutt. Beautiful.

The sound of the crack on the jaw was music matched only by the sniffling howls as it skulked rapidly back to its porch. It was so good my toes tingled for about the next two miles.

Yes!

Tyson
    Cushing, Oklahoma

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took my usual route today and didn't see the little SOB Pomeranian...and this after spending all day practicing THE LOOK. I was just itchin for a confrontation.
    Ride On!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing is as threatening as watching a pooch eye2eye from a recumbent trike like I did today. I didn't stick around long enough to be sure, but it looked like an Australian Shephard. I just yelled "NO DOG!" and peddled @ss away from there. The yell stunned it long enough so that it didn't get a running start on me.

Some people just shouldn't own dogs!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frame pumps come in handy in these situations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I'm never going anywhere (and I'm not in any hurry to get there), I've been stopping and convincing the furballs to go chase electricians.

Also I couldn't outrun them anyway.

And there's this beautiful Brittany behind one of those "invisible" fences" (the little flags) I wish would follow me home. I wonder if he/she can hunt...

Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm one of those lucky folks that dogs seem to like. They might start out chasing me, but I usually either just stop or continue at a slower pace, and talk to them. When they chase you, it isn't personal, it's a dawg thing that compels them to give chase...with no thought whatsoever about what to do if they actually catch you. So if you get bit or nipped, it wasn't premeditated, it just seemed like the thing to do at the time based on what they sensed from you. Treating the dog as if it were YOUR dog chasing you is usually best. Just slow down, smile and talk to them, scolding them to go home.

When we were kids, we used to raid the junk yards quite a bit and I was always the one who had to jump the fence first to make nice with the junk yard dawg. Maybe I was raised by dogs in the wild and was then brainwashed into thinking my parents raised me? Hmmmm.......
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=chipcom] When they chase you, it isn't personal, it's a dawg thing that compels them to give chase...with no thought whatsoever about what to do if they actually catch you. So if you get bit or nipped, it wasn't premeditated, it just seemed like the thing to do at the time based on what they sensed from you. [QUOTE]

Here, here!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=chipcom]I'm one of those lucky folks that dogs seem to like. They might start out chasing me, but I usually either just stop or continue at a slower pace, and talk to them. When they chase you, it isn't personal, it's a dawg thing that compels them to give chase...with no thought whatsoever about what to do if they actually catch you. So if you get bit or nipped, it wasn't premeditated, it just seemed like the thing to do at the time based on what they sensed from you. Treating the dog as if it were YOUR dog chasing you is usually best. Just slow down, smile and talk to them, scolding them to go home. QUOTE]

Some of the Dogs that chase me know exactly what they are gonna do with me if they catch me.... rip my butt up!
    Doesn't matter if it's personal or not, a dog bite hurts the same.
    As far as talking to them? That's a job for the slowest sprinter in the group.
    Carpe who?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast