Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe what I just did

I can't believe what I just did.........

I just got a call from my former boss and I turned down a 3 day, all expenses paid trip to Pinehurst to play golf, wine, dine, etc this Friday-Sunday. I had planned a training ride for this weekend and then I've signed up for a really, really challenging ride next Saturday. It is probably the equal to the Assault on Mt Mitchell and a ride I have not done before but one I've heard a lot about. If I played around in Pinehurst for 3 days, it would probably take me beyond next weekend to recover. So I declined the offer in order to do the ride next weekend and live to tell about it. I guess that also says I don't have the discipline to push myself away from the table, refuse the wine and get the rest I should get in Pinehurst. At least I've learned enough about myself the last few years to know my limits..........

Golf has been my top pursuit for 40+ years, but based on this situation can I assume cycling has now officially replaced it???? Where does this cycling stuff stop???

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dunno where it stops but turning down a jollie from the boss? Thats a serious bug you've got.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart move. Golf is nothing but a temptress. She gives you a little taste of honey, and then spits in your eye, laughs in your face, breaks your spirit and walks off with your money. Bicycles love you back.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Smart move. Golf is nothing but a temptress. She gives you a little taste of honey, and then spits in your eye, laughs in your face, breaks your spirit and walks off with your money. Bicycles love you back.
    Beautiful quote!!! I love it!

JiO
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you all need to get a grip?

My Bikes
    2010 Allegra 2X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sound like a serious passion to me. Turning down a vacation to be ready for ride, that's serious.

OBTW, I got my hole in one, now it's time to ride my age!
    2010 Jamis Allegra 2X
    God loves you, and God loves me, Even if I do cause his over time!

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe - I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU JUST DID!!

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Golf is nothing but a temptress. She gives you a little taste of honey, and then spits in your eye, laughs in your face, breaks your spirit and walks off with your money. Bicycles love you back.
    My experience also.