Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

If you fall over from not unclipping...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

If you fall over from not unclipping...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happened to me last at 07:00 on a Sunday - not a soul about, just me, the bike and an empty road. What a relief.

Now it says in my newbie cycling books that you shouldn't fall on your outstretched hand because you may fracture your scaphoid bone. What are you supposed to land on?.....the only substitute seems to be ones head.
Old 06-18-06, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
If you fall over from not unclipping...and no one's around to see it, do you tell anyone else about it?
Nope. And if somebody is around to see it, pretend to fiddle with your derailleur or something so they'll think that you had a mechanical problem insted of just being stupid.
Old 06-19-06, 02:13 PM
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO !!! Never !! Bart Simpson Sez: "Nobody saw me do it, so I didn't do it".
Old 06-19-06, 03:36 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abarkley
Happened to me last at 07:00 on a Sunday - not a soul about, just me, the bike and an empty road. What a relief.

Now it says in my newbie cycling books that you shouldn't fall on your outstretched hand because you may fracture your scaphoid bone. What are you supposed to land on?.....the only substitute seems to be ones head.
Cheeks out and take it on the Butt. Painfull but not for long. That is if you have time to realise you are going over. If you don't have time and find suddenly yourself on the tarmac- then it doesn't seem to hurt.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-19-06, 03:43 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Last time I fell over from not unclipping, I used what my daughter once called "the plumbing words." Then I decided that I preferred platform pedals!
Old 06-19-06, 04:14 PM
Love to ride!

Bikes: 2010 Allegra 2X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It happened to me when my Daughter did a quick stop and I thought she was going to ride through. So I did a very quick stop.

Does that count?
Old 06-19-06, 05:09 PM
LMCM wannabe

Bikes: Peugot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's more embarrassing if you succeed in getting it right then screw it up.

Last week, rolled up to a red light and track standing - light was slow so I finally gave up and unclipped. As I put my foot to the ground I heard a click - I had managed to score a direct hit on the pedal and clipped in again.

Minuses: Falling over in front of three cyclists which is more embarrassing than falling over in front of motorists. Having to ride to the lbs and ask for a new handlebar.

Plusses: Blood running down your leg quietens the most abusive car driver - far more effective than the two fingered salute!!!
Old 07-06-06, 08:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding all of a month. Went for my first "long ride" 30 miles 2 weeks ago. Clipless a week. Just about home, pretty tired, but feeling good, stopped at a red light, over I went. Banged up my knee and landed on my wrist. Couldn't put much pressure on the wrist, but only 4 miles from home. Pull into my driveway, unclip and coast to the garage. Stop and to my horror over I go again on the wrist! Somehow my left foot clipped back in.
2 weeks later I'm still hurting. Fingers and thumb work, but can't do a pushup or put much pressure on the base of my hand. A little google search and I think I'll be seeing the doctor tomorrow. I think I've got a scaphoid fracture. Fortunately its my left hand and I'm right handed. Unfortunately I'm a dentist and screwed if they have to cast it.
Old 07-06-06, 09:04 PM

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
None of us should feel bad...

David Moncoutie of Cofidis fell over in today's stage of the TDF because he had to stop suddenly and forgot to unclip!
Old 07-06-06, 09:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by abarkley

Yeah, yeah. I threw my chain on a climb last fall. Toe straps pulled down tight. Chain jammed tight. I went over like that old guy on the trike on "Laugh In". As I toppled I actually remembered about not putting a hand down. So I landed on my shoulder. No permanent damage, but walked around like the Hunchback for a few days.

And, yes, some amused friends of course saw it. Still sometimes get "advice" from them while we're all wheezing up some hill.
Old 07-06-06, 09:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
If you fall over from not unclipping...and no one's around to see it, do you tell anyone else about it?
You mean WHEN you fall over from not unclipping...
Old 07-06-06, 09:23 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have yet to fall over from not unclipping. I fell five times on my MTB, but none of those falls was from unclipping. Unfortunately, falling is falling and I wish I could have blamed it on the clipless pedals instead of my own riding mistakes.
Old 07-06-06, 09:30 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Only close cyclist friends. I fell twice from not unclipping and the first thing I did was look around to see if anybody noticed me.
Old 07-07-06, 05:30 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I have yet to fall over from not unclipping. I fell five times on my MTB, but none of those falls was from unclipping. Unfortunately, falling is falling and I wish I could have blamed it on the clipless pedals instead of my own riding mistakes.
So...... in other words nobody saw you so you're not admitting to it.
Old 07-07-06, 11:41 AM

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just started on clipless in May and have fallen three times. The first time, I had just pulled over to ask directions of a guy waving traffic around some event. Shook up the guy more than me.
The third one went like this: I was pedaling along minding my own business when a car full of teenagers eased up without my noticing. One yelled "Huh!" very loudly and startled me a bit, but I didn't fall. A few miles up the road, I see this same car stopped at a traffic light. I ease up to them and yell "Huh!" into their open window.
Then I fell over because I had failed to clip out. The teenagers got a huge kick out of it, and I laughed pretty hard at myself, too .. between deep blushes.
Old 07-07-06, 11:51 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, the joys of catching up on the new posts, globie that is a big laugh, but I wouldn't have laughed if I had been there! I have not tried clipless yet, may or may not, my mind is totally unmade up yet!
Old 07-07-06, 06:39 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Grampy™
So...... in other words nobody saw you so you're not admitting to it.
Somebody fell 5 times, what, who, me? NAAA!
Old 07-07-06, 07:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was standing at a light with two other riders in a recent ride and I hear this quiet little "$-h-i-t" as I watch this girl doing the lean. Didn't dawn on me fast enough that she was falling so I moved my back tire out of the way before she went all the way down. First thing she said... "are you okay?" ??? Where does that come from anyway I'm perfectly happy riding with plain ol' strapless pedals here!
Old 07-08-06, 12:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Accidentally clipping back in after unclipping seems to be my biggest bug-a-boo. Once at a light, I was "standing" unclipped when I decided to put a foot down. To my horror, I then realized that I had inadvertently clipped back-in. I managed to get my foot out of the pedals, but, may have turned my ankle in the process. I didn't fall, but, presented a plenty clumsy picture to the motorists behind me.

So far, one fall since purchasing the pedals a couple of months ago. It makes you feel so stupid - and, somehow, although I never seem to retain a clear picture of my own reaction when I take a spill (for this or any other reason) I always manage to come out of 'em with a bruised wrist or knee - so, I must be doing something other than tucking in as I go down. The good news (I guess) is that, after one pedal-related fall and even a collision with a car, I have no scratches on my new (year-old) bike - none at all - not even a bruised saddle - yea!

Caruso