Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you fall over from not unclipping...

If you fall over from not unclipping...and no one's around to see it, do you tell anyone else about it?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah. We want to hear all about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    If you fall over from not unclipping...and no one's around to see it, do you tell anyone else about it?

Just the 50+ forum, and we promise not to tell anyone else!

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, You must post it on the world wide internet or the warranty on your clipless cleats is null and void. (it's in the fine print, honest!)
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's something of a right of passage and as such you must report it here to us.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a clue what I was thinking. Fact is, if I was thinking, I would have unclipped first. There's a sidewalk that runs along the side of the house, and I typically cost back that sidewalk and unclip as I'm moving when I'm returning from a ride. There's a fence with a gate at the end of the sidewalk and I like to coast right up to let my front tire gently touch the gate.... it's a little game I play. This time, for reasons unknown to me, I forget to unclip, glide up to the gate; the front wheel touches the gate as the bike comes to a stop, and I fall over into a bed of roses. I'm still trying to figure out what to tell my wife about the busted up rose bushes... I'm thinking of blaming it on the dog.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a clue what I was thinking. Fact is, if I was thinking, I would have unclipped first. There's a sidewalk that runs along the side of the house, and I typically cost back that sidewalk and unclip as I'm moving when I'm returning from a ride. There's a fence with a gate at the end of the sidewalk and I like to coast right up to let my front tire gently touch the gate.... it's a little game I play. This time, for reasons unknown to me, I forget to unclip, glide up to the gate; the front wheel touches the gate as the bike comes to a stop, and I fall over into a bed of roses. I'm still trying to figure out what to tell my wife about the busted up rose bushes... I'm thinking of blaming it on the dog.
    ATTENTION ALL BIKEFORUMS.NET MEMBERS!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-14-06 at 08:49 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If no one sees it...... it didn't happen. It helps if someone laughs at you too.....
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of a running gag in our house:

If a man says something in the woods with no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    This reminds me of a running gag in our house:

If a man says something in the woods with no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?

My Bikes
    Ha!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    This reminds me of a running gag in our house: If a man says something in the woods with no women around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Yes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first time falling was before clipless pedals hit town.

I was securely straped into my quill pedals when I spotted a soft drink vending machine at a nicely landscaped strip mall. While twenty or so bystanders admired my cycling finesse as I approached, I forgot to loosen the toe strap, came to a stop and fell into a bed of fresh wood chips. While thrashing around in the wood chips trying to get unclipped from the bicycle my wool shorts and wool jersey were busy snagging most of the chips. I finally broke free, managed to get on my feet and went about my business like this was something I do every day, lest my audience think me a showoff. Of course my coins for the vending machine had all fallen out of my jersey pocket and were lost somewhere in the remaining wood chips.

Not wanting to risk yet more embarrassment by searching for the money I quickly re-mounted and rode away as if nothing happened, wood chips flying in my wake.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure its like the proverbial tree falling in the forrest which no one hears. Its an enigma.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Its an enigma.

Man, I haven't had an enigma since I started eating fiber!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-15-06 at 07:39 AM.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tell everyone and have a good hearty laugh at myself. We all know that lifes too short.....
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "...and I fall over into a bed of roses."

Ouch....

B'Dog
    2006 Gary Fisher Marlin MTB
    2004 Salsa LaRaza aka "Mmmm, Blue Salsa" (853 steel is real, baby!)
    2003 Kona Humu Humu Nuka Nuka Apua'A Singlespeed - Gone, but not forgotten
    1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
    1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
    1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you fall over from not unclipping...do you tell anyone else about it?
    It depends. Is this the first time, or the two hundred and sixty third time? This week. While checking out in WalMart. Buying Bates tires and a red woowoo thingy for your Roubaix. And a thong.

Me? I've learned that humiliation tends to find me wherever I am--I don't need to go advertise for it.

John in Oregon
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happened once to me; no need to tell, the scars were obvious! Went clipless; first week, very careful/no problems/was really getting the hang of it. You can guess the next bit!; over-confident/coffee shop parking lot (patrons in picture window looking on); me (Mr. Cyclist) rolls up/stops in semi-trackstand/forgot I was using clipless/begins the slo-mo topple/down I go. Instinctively stuck out a knee to protect the bike of all things >> one b_gg__rd knee for about 3 weeks. No probs since.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say it is a long time since I fell, as that will be tempting fate- But I honestly cannot remember the last Time I fell off through not unclipping- Fallen off yes but no fault of the pedals.
    Mind you in the last week, I have come very close on numerous occasions- I have put the Spare SPD's on my new road bike- and they have a cage around the cleats- I cannot get used to them and have nearly come off several times- Those feet will not unclip- Newness of the pedal or that surround- I do not know but I have now learnt to trackstand while I panic and try to get the foot out.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Falling over from forgetting to unclip a foot I have not accomplished yet. Falling over from not having enough time to unclip, or falling in the direction of the still attached foot has happened. And yes, I do tell on myself.

I would ask if anyone has had their leg fall off after unclipping, but I am probably the only one on this thread who has experienced this.
    Last edited by edp773; 06-15-06 at 07:08 PM.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I used to tell my girlfriend in high school:

"If you don't tell anyone about it, it didn't happen."

My Bikes
    Waterford RS-22;Bottechia-giro 'd italia(ca.1971)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah yes, this reminds me of my first experience-Atala-with toe clips-straps down tight. I guess I was 15 years old at the time. Looking cool, a car load of girls stops to say hello, I ride right up to the side of the car, I'm desparately trying to put one foot down, going really slow now, palming my way to the front of the car, and,.... no more car, down I went, fell right over. Forgot that I was strapped in.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK since none of you know who I really am... I can share this little bit of embarassment.

A whole bunch of years ago, the RAAM started from Huntingtion Beach. I rode over to the start with a group of friends. Our plan was to ride with the RAAM riders for the first 15 miles or so. Anyway, while waiting for the start, I was cruising up and down Main Street. I heard my name, turned to look around and forgot I was sitting on a bike. The wheel turned with my head and arms, and BAM! I was down before I could even think of unclipping. There I laid in front of oh.... about 100,000 people. And I could not get out of my cleat and get up and walk away. I had to wait from someone to come out and give me some assistance. And all my friends... somehow they disappeared into the crowd. I can't imagine why????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was with a canondale and the shoes from the person I bought it from were a half size
    larger, and the cleats were moving about! My first time ever with shoes like that, a lot
    more power in riding! BUT when it came to unsnap, my foot just rotated and didn't release
    I was at a stop sign and this car next to me, I wobbled a great deal and finally reached out
    at about a 45 degree angle to keep from falling over, my hand thumped down hard on his
    hood, scared him, he asked "are you ok buddy?" lol
    Since selling that bike and going back to my old Schwinn with half clip toes I like that a lot
    better for in town riding which is all that I do, otherwise I'd go the route of finding shoes
    and pedals that clip in...
    it was pretty embarssing !
    G2
    "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
    Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

Psalm 1

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgkaplan
    As I used to tell my girlfriend in high school:

"If you don't tell anyone about it, it didn't happen."
    That depends on what the definition of "it" is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast