Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe what My Brother did

My baby brother is 12 years younger than me so he has no rights to be forgetful.

He took yesterday off work, got up early and drove 2 hours up to the mountains to do a training ride. He put on all his gear on and got his bike out of his truck. He looks around and lo and behold he cannot find the front wheel. After some head scratching he realizes he has left it at home.

Fortunately a bike shop was only 30 mins away so he loaded back up and drove over to it. He waited a while until it opened and the folks were kind enough to rent him a wheel for the day. He wound up getting in a good ride with a lot of climbing and probably will have at least the front wheel the next time he travels to do a ride.

A while back we had a post about blaming stuff like that on being 50+. I guess with some folks it starts a little early......or maybe I'm just beginning to rub off on him a little.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe

Fortunately a bike shop was only 30 mins away so he loaded back up and drove over to it. He waited a while until it opened and the folks were kind enough to rent him a wheel for the day.
    And how much does it cost to rent a wheel for a day?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-14-06 at 07:02 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    And how much does it cost to rent a wheel for a day?

Probably a lot less than the gas to drive back and forth!!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My college student daughter and I left for Santa Cruz last summer--bikes on the roof rack...what fun it would be! A little more than 2 hours away. We'd pedal on the wharf, cruise out on West Cliff along the ocean to the Surfer Museum and beyond. A grown up version of DG, his daughter, Click and Clack.

Except when we got there, Dad had left his front wheel in the garage at home. So, I walked fast, she rode. Lotsa fun.....actually, its always good to be with "the kid".....although she was probably speculating about how to deal with her "aging parent".

jppe, I'll pass no judgement on your bro'.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was your favorite excuse when you were young. I bet it was, "I forgot." It does make you feel better when someone else forgets something important. Next time ask your brother, "How do you spell alzheimers?"
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your brother feels bad, tell him about me: A number of years ago, I bought a brand new bicycle. I removed the front wheel, and leaned it against the back of my car. I put the bike in the car. I backed up. The sickening crunch I heard was the sound of my new wheel being turned into a taco.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine left his whole bike at Lake Tahoe last summer. He'd driven over from Reno and did a lap of the lake, about 75 miles, then leaned the bike against the trailer-hitch rack while he let himself into his truck to change shoes, get a drink etc. That's a deviation from our normal pattern, which is to stow the bikes and all the parts BEFORE we do anything else, to keep from leaving anything behind. He piddled around, tuned the radio, ate a sandwich out of the cooler, then started the truck and headed home. About halfway there, on top of Mount Rose, he realized he couldn't see the bike in the mirror.
    It was gone when he got back, and he was so embarrassed he went out and bought himself a Litespeed.

Morals: 1. Stick to your established pattern. 2. Check the bike EVERY TIME you start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find myself doing little tricks to prevent any more of these kind of screw-ups.

For example:

Anytime I remove the front wheel in my driveway or a parking lot, I either lean it against the drivers side door or hang my car keys in the spokes.

I keep spare stuff in the car...which has saved my butt more than once.

I lost my car key from the seat bag on the road once while fixing a puncture. Now I always keep a magnetized spare key holder stuck under my car. And, yes, it has saved my sorry ass a few times already in non-bicycling situations.

Hey, I know I am now a ****** so why fight it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've begun to assume that I'll make mistakes with keys, etc, and now use elaborate procedures to protect me from myself. What's amazing is that it works! Many times in the past few years I've caught myself just as I was about to make a dumb mistake.

My mother is 88 and is just beginning to have short term memory losses. But, she's aware of it, so she keeps a note pad in front of her and writes everything down.

I guess we should be glad we have enough self-awareness to take care of ourselves!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Hey, I know I am now a ****** so why fight it?
    Fight what?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the issue with keys anymore. My bike mobile is 15 years old and has 420,000+ miles on it. One of it's quirks is that I can no longer lock the drivers side door. I just toss the keys in an inconspicious place and leave the darn thing unlocked. It has the privacy glass (smoked glass windows) so maybe that helps from having things walk off.

One time I did leave the keys hanging in the door and noone messed with the vehicle. I can't even invite someone to take that vehicle.........

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was it again we were talking about???
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"