User Tag List

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicycle seats with missing bits

Ok... so I posted here last week to confess that I have been using an Easy Seat for the last year and like it because it leaves me pain free. But I think it also might add some additional arm, shoulder, wrist stress... I'm wondering about other seats, like the Serfas Rx and the Terry Touring, both of which have cutaway parts near the perineum. I've read that they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and I've also read that they actually might contribute to prostate pain. Which is true?

Plus, I am wondering why I don't read more about the problem of prostate pain among the 50+ group. After all, we read that some 90% will experience this after 50. Are bikers immune?

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, not immune, but I just don't experience prostate pain while riding and I've had prostate problems since I was 29. Don't know why I have no pain there. Perhaps the pressure on the prostate actually helps to massage it.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other pain masks it out (GRIN)

seriously - no prostrate pain , but legs heels, knees, ............lets me know I'm still alive (and lifes challenges).

Ain't it grand.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was casually riding I went to a Serfas RX on my hybrid. On a 30+ mile ride I noticed some pain, so I got a Brooks B-67. I still ride the Serfas for shorter rides on my mountain bike, say 20 miles or less. Its a very comfortable saddle. I could ride it further, but having had pain once, I won't. Any longer and I swap my Brooks over to the bike.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time you are 50 either your nuts are numb , or you don't care if a Brooks 67 saddle looks goofy on a Serotta

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    When I was casually riding I went to a Serfas RX on my hybrid. On a 30+ mile ride I noticed some pain, so I got a Brooks B-67.
    B-67 is a sprung saddle. Wonder if that makes any difference? I notice the rear of the saddle seems higher than the nose.

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if I should try some of these? Wallingford has a good return policy, but what about vendors for Terry or Serfas?