Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news, Bad news

Went to doctor today he says my fractured shoulder is healing fine, thats the good news. I asked him if I could take a bike ride Saturday on my birthday, he said you are kidding right. I said no I am serious, he told me no riding for three months from injury date, so no riding until August 22. This is going to be a long summer!
    Treks, 79-710, 83-600, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-930, 1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a bummer, try walking. I broke both arms a couple of years ago and with rehab was off the bike for six months. With both arms in plaster about the only thing I could do is walk. Bike accidents suck, if your lucky you just end up screaming when you take a shower, if your unlucky it can be a life changing event. For me I still can't completely straigthen my right arm and both elbows get tired after long rides. I still keep riding though.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other good news is you'll learn the virtue of patience.
    The othe bad news is you'll have to be patient to do it.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you own a trainer? If you can set it up outside for some fresh experince. Although not the same as actually riding, this will keep your legs and cardio in shape.

Patience is the key to recovery, but who has that.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a knee injury a few years ago (rock climbing accident). I could do no serious biking for two years.
    I used a stationary bike for spinning (no load) and eventually started walking going up to 12 miles/day in 3 hours. I am in good shape now. I love biking but there are other forms of exercise.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a bummer.........August will be here before too long though. Maybe you can spend some time "planning routes" or rehab rides that you will do come August.......

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me tell you of my story... 7/4/2003 I had a bad fall and fractured my collarbone. Doctor told me no activity for 3 - 4 months. Well he didn't mean spin class or trainer did he? In 3 months I did a century. Felt fine, no worries. This last November I had to have reconstructive surgery on the same collarbone. Story is the fracture never healed. It was a non-union. I now have a plate and 6 screws. I was off the bike, and trainer and spin class for 4 months. Learned my lesson!!!! Rest and take it easy. Walk or hike to stay in shape.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that BCI, I went and signed up for therapy today and will do whatever they want
    to recover from this. My frustration level is high but the desire to overcome this is higher, I will stay
    off my trainer for awhile yet. I think I will start walking again.
    Treks, 79-710, 83-600, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 96-930, 1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the spinning classes or a trainer, zero impact so no bouncing of the shoulder nor chance to accidently go to ground. I've had more broken bones from cycling than from playing football, basketball and baseball combined. The wait can be a killer. Just remember there are two kinds of cyclist; those who just crashed and those who will crash.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Lord - just give me the strength to rest" is a prayer I say Often.

Hang in there!!!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to the post that recommends walking. When my neck was operated on, the doctor insisted that I walk a couple of miles every day to circulate the spinal fluids and blood. If your doctor ok's the trainer, that's a good idea too.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent 30 minutes on the trainer yesterday and it felt great, no pain in shoulder and no jolting so will work up from there. I just want to maintain until I get back on the road.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a77impala
    I spent 30 minutes on the trainer yesterday and it felt great, no pain in shoulder and no jolting so will work up from there. I just want to maintain until I get back on the road.
    That's good news!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1!! That's a great sign!!

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed a bias against trainers on this forum. My experience is that trainers allow a focused form of training. For instance: HR compared to Cadence and Speed. I have tried to do the same biking on trails. Other factors enter such as wind and other bikers. I know that that is the real world.
    For optimising your performance in a controlled environment, there is the trainer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen to the Doc and, at 22, you will most likely heal up good as new. Enjoy it while you got it. After 50, recovering from injuries usually doesn't include 'good as new'. There is aways some deficit, loss of strength or range of motion, or chronic residual pain/soreness. The long, slow, downhill slide has its bad points. bk

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    I noticed a bias against trainers on this forum. My experience is that trainers allow a focused form of training. For instance: HR compared to Cadence and Speed. I have tried to do the same biking on trails. Other factors enter such as wind and other bikers. I know that that is the real world.
    For optimising your performance in a controlled environment, there is the trainer.
    Normally trainers suck . I don't need focused training enough to endure a trainer if there is any way to get out and ride. But when the alternative is not to ride a bike at all, trainers are a wonderful thing . Get on that sucker and ride, ride, ride .
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.