just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last minute training or food ideas?

I have a 70 mile charity group ride this coming Sunday. I am laying back to be strong for
    it and I am today chomping at the bit to ride. Tuesday and Wednesday I did not commute
    to work because Monday when I rode home from work I was more tired than usual. So 2
    days off in a row has rejuvenated me.

I rode to work today and then took a short 5 mile spin around the neighborhood. I used
    easy gears for the hills, and I feel great. I plan on riding to work tomorrow 7.5 mile round
    trip and then taking Saturday off and do work around the house.

Going from Downtown Kansas City Missouri to Atchison Kansas then to Weston MO.

Any ideas on training or food.
    I just eat what I feel like eating.
    last 7 days 69 miles
    82 miles the past week
    124 miles the week before that
    67 miles the week before that
    147 miles for June
    337 miles for May
    Long ride up to this point 50 miles. 30 April
    With a couple of 40 mile rides in May.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
    I have a 70 mile charity group ride this coming Sunday. I am laying back to be strong for
    it and I am today chomping at the bit to ride. Tuesday and Wednesday I did not commute
    to work because Monday when I rode home from work I was more tired than usual. So 2
    days off in a row has rejuvenated me.

I rode to work today and then took a short 5 mile spin around the neighborhood. I used
    easy gears for the hills, and I feel great. I plan on riding to work tomorrow 7.5 mile round
    trip and then taking Saturday off and do work around the house.

Going from Downtown Kansas City Missouri to Atchison Kansas then to Weston MO.

Any ideas on training or food.
    I just eat what I feel like eating.
    last 7 days 69 miles
    82 miles the past week
    124 miles the week before that
    67 miles the week before that
    147 miles for June
    337 miles for May
    Long ride up to this point 50 miles. 30 April
    With a couple of 40 mile rides in May.
    Start eating pasta or rice to get some carbo-hydrates in you, before the ride have a breakfast of porridge and on the ride take cereal bars. Other snacks are dried fruit, sandwiches, or anything you fancy. Milage seems to be OK for a gentle ride but mainly do not forget water intake. Start drinking a bottle 30 minutes before the start and finish it. Drink a bottle at least every hour and enjoy the ride.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't go out and eat anything out of the ordinary or greasy the night before the ride. Light breakfast, bagel, cereal, banana, whatever you're used to. Don't start out way too fast, the excitement of the moment can make you push harder earlier than you're used to. Stay hydrated, and enjoy the ride. Looks like you've got the foundation miles to pull it off real clean. Don't wreck...

And Stap...I have to ask...what's in your 'porridge' stuff over there???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Stapfam's suggestions, and would add to avoid trying any new foods, energy bars, drinks or gels. A long ride is not the time to find out that one of these does not agree with your stomach. Have a great ride!

OOOPS! Looks like Baggsy cover this in a slightly different way.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The others have offered excellent advice. My routine has worked well for me and only offer it as an example. The key is to not get too far off your normal routine to keep the stomach and body passive. Avoid cheeses and other foods that are harder to digest. As much as I love mexican food I make sure it's not on the diet the day before.

I load up on the pasta (the type you prefer) the day and night before. I do ravioli or equivalent at lunch and spaghetti for supper. Find a sauce that suits your taste and stomach. I do pancakes and a banana for breakfast but be careful of too much syrup-that can cause indigestion. McDonalds does very cheap pancakes and you can get 3 for less than $2.

Another idea for you to think about. What is your goal of the ride? If it's "to finish", then take your time at the start and stay within your normal riding zone. Make a couple stops along the way but keep them limited to just enought time to refuel. If you're riding for a time, get with some others-even while you're doing the ride and let them set the pace for you. You'll eventually fall in with groups that ride comparable to your speed but you'll go faster. Limit your stops to what you need for fluids and just take the time to refill the bottles and grab some food. You can eat while you ride.......

You have some excellent mileage to this point and you going to do just fine. You'll doubt yourself at times but that's just normal. Work through the mental stuff and you're going to do just great. Be sure and let us know how it goes!!

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1. My tidbit: Eat something fairly soon after finishing your ride...it will help with recovery and any blown out feeling you might get that night or the next day. A formal recovery drink like Endurox or some fruit, a sandwich, cereal (you may well be sick of Clif bar food, but eat something.) Also, start rehydrating afterwards especially if hot. Drink all day, pee all night.

Then go feel good about yourself, give the new Volpe a hug, and go for an easy recovery ride the next day while planning your next Big-Ride. And come post something here about your experience.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to the ride. My goal is to finish strong. Not worried about time. May get some rain which would be a blessing.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990