Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone know anything about this bike?

I dug this up out in my barn. I've never heard of it before and have no idea if it's even worth doing anything with. I was hoping someone might be familiar with it.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Centurion bicycles were an Asian import and were made by the same people who made Diamondback mountain bikes. Sometime in the '80's the Centurion name was dropped and the Diamondback name was adopted to the roadbike. Centurion's best bike was the Dave Scott, the first triathlon-specific bike--and still highly collectable. For a whole lot more information check out the Classic and Vintage forum of BF--there's been a lot of discussion about Centurions lately for some reason. Not bad bikes but nothing spectacular, at least the higher-ends were decent bikes. Like all manufacturers they made a range of bikes from the entry level (yours, sorry...) to the high-end, lightweight tubing, well spec'd models that still bring decent money.

Personally I wouldn't spend any time or money on yours. It's heavy steel construction, bottom end componentry--not worth much unless it has some intrinsic value to you. There are much better bikes out there that can be purchased for what a set of tubes, tires and a chain for that one would cost ($30-$40 or so).

John in Oregon
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John! I appreciate the information.

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    Personally I wouldn't spend any time or money on yours. It's heavy steel construction, bottom end componentry--not worth much unless it has some intrinsic value to you. John in Oregon
    Concur with the above.
    I own an '84 Centurion ProTour, a touring bike that is not the lightest tubing. I've kept it up and still ride it. Spend your money on a newer bike - it will have a lighter & stiffer frame, better wheels, nicer shifting, more powerful brakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to disagree, somewhat. I wouldn't waste time trying to make it rideable 'as is', but if the frame is good, not overly heavy (components are the bulk of the weight of a bike) and it fits you well, you can replace anything or everything else you lil heart desires. You can also paint-up that lugged steel frame to look downright pretty in a way butted frames just can't do. It's not a racing bike, but if you want a nice-looking vintage bike for relaxing rides on a Sunday afternoon (kinda like cruising in a classic car), it could be a worthwhile project.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are LBS in my area that will take bikes like this and make them rideable, give them to kids who don't currently have anything to ride. You got any shops like that in you area?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    LeMond - Gunnar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the time it came out - that was bike was a good deal. It IS a lugged frame, and I bet the main tubes were butted. However, it did use cheaper stamped dropouts and came with pretty crappy components.

I have the next Centurion bike "up the line" -and it's in good condition, and let my brother ride it on Sundays. But as others have mentioned, there's no use jacking around with that bike unless it was just for the challenge.

No doubt though, the frame would provide a soft and comfortable "tour ride".........

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it looks like you have a wonderful beater there. Perfect for riding to areas of dubious parking or to run to the local store. In this manner it should give you a lifetime of service. Some new tires and liberal amounts of WD-40 should get you rolling quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    There are LBS in my area that will take bikes like this and make them rideable, give them to kids who don't currently have anything to ride. You got any shops like that in you area?
    Excellent suggestion! I just might have a place like that nearby.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear that their chains and gear teeth are prone to rusting if'en ya don't oil them (GRIN)
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**