Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nice ride last night, but....

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-16-06, 02:01 PM

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Got dropped by the group on a long hill, then almost got run over by someone pulling out of their drive, then got a flat! But I did get in 33 miles around the Washington's Crossing area near the Delaware on a beautiful evening.
Old 06-16-06, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride that area a lot. Which long hill got you dropped? Just curious.
Obviously, the roads along the river are mostly flat - some gentle rolling inclines, but, to either side are some truly wicked hills. The one that raises my lather the most is the hill leading out of New Hope on Route 232. I bet the first leg of that sucker is a mile long (and steep), then, when you get to what looks like the top, it the road takes off on another climb that's probably a mile and a half.

Glad you got in some good miles - and I certainly agree that the area is beautiful.

Caruso
Old 06-16-06, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The New Hope area is very scenic. For me, I do most of my riding in good old South Jersey. Nothing like a flat coastal plain to make an old guy feel he can move like the wind.

The Pine Barrens make for some great riding.
Old 06-16-06, 03:42 PM

The hill was on the NJ side, west of Pennington, maybe Poor Farm Rd. (see njbikemap.com, Pennington area map). I figured out later that I probably had a slowish leak from the start, which caused me to struggle on the hill - it wasn't a terrible hill or anything, but flat tires do make them a little tougher. I did then go down Pleasant Valley Rd., to Rt. 29 along the river, and south to Church Rd., out of the valley. No really significant climbs.
Old 06-17-06, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a really nice area to ride. Sorry to hear that you were losing air - that's a bummer.
Caruso
Old 06-17-06, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I figured out later that I probably had a slowish leak from the start, which caused me to struggle on the hill - it wasn't a terrible hill or anything, but flat tires do make them a little tougher.
That is a very good line. One I need to remember!
Old 06-17-06, 03:17 PM

"That is a very good line. One I need to remember!" - and, and, the dog ate my spare tire - honest! I went on another good ride today with lots of climbing (and no flats ). I live at the base of the Sourlands and kinda went up most of the hills on the east end - Hollow, Long Hill, Dutchtown Zion, Zion, Lindbergh and Spring Hill. During the ride, my daughter passed me twice on her way to and from the post office. First time was on a really side road. I asked her how she got over there, and she said that "There was a big group of bicyclists going up the hill really slow, so I tried to find a differnt road." Bicyclists - can't live with them, can't pass them.