Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off In Search of Pie

Tomorrow at 6:05 a.m., my plane leaves sunny Virginia for Fort Wayne Indiana, where I will begin a week-long trip that will include:

1) A family reunion.
    2) The Rural Ride in Indiana www.triri.org a bike ride that wanders the back roads of the northeastern corner of the Hoosier State.
    3. A quest for pie

I really have no idea if they make good pie along the back roads Indiana, but it seems to me that they should. My goal is to eat at least one home-made piece of pie every day. No store-bought or mass-produced pies will be allowed. Upon my return, you can expect a report, complete with graphs and pie charts.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like fun. Good luck!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck. I just got back from my 7 day, SF to LA ride and had a ball. The best part is getting up in the morning and RIDING. We'll look for pictures later on. Remember: Tailwinds: Good. Downhill: Good Pie: Good.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's Amish country around there, so there are probably some good opportunities for home-baked goodies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A truly good, home baked pie is something that very few people ever experience. I have a great aunt, who is close to 100 now, that made the best pies I've ever tasted - this coming from an Ohio native, now living in the east, who has traveled extensively. Flakey crusts and heavenly meringues take real skill. And berry pies and cobblers! Oh! What I'd give for a good blackberry cobbler. In New Jersey, they have these things called "diners", with the most digusting pies imaginable. Mountains of ersatz meringue and crusts like cardboard. I commend you on your search for pie. I have been on similar searchs for biscuits and barbeque in the south.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm envious. Looking forward to the reports and stories of pie.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex
    In New Jersey, they have these things called "diners", with the most digusting pies imaginable. Mountains of ersatz meringue and crusts like cardboard..
    I grew up in N.J. I remember those pies. I think Jimmy Hoffa is buried inside one of them.
    Last edited by Blackberry; 06-17-06 at 04:02 AM.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been on similar searchs for biscuits and barbeque in the south.
    Hopefully not at the same time!!! Biscuits and bbq sounds like something some Yankee would think up.

Biscuits I can't help you with, at least not in the south--out here on the west coast, yes--but not in the south. But bbq Mecca is Kruetz BBQ, Lockhart, Texas--about 45 minutes south of Austin. Oldest bbq joint in Texas (really!). It's worth the pilgrimage (and the wait in line).

John in yup, Oregon
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Touring senior
    My Bikes
    Cannondale touring bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope your trip is a real slice!

Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
    My Bikes
    '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... serviceberry pie!
    The best libertarian podcast on the internet! freedomainradio.com

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next thing you know you'll be a bicycle tourist. Have fun. We'll expect a report.

(In Texas, Mrs. Baird's fried pies count as real pie, at least with me)
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 06-17-06 at 09:58 AM.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    (In Texas, Mrs. Baird's fried pies count as real pie, at least with me)
    What's a "fried pie"?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In New Jersey, they have these things called "diners", with the most digusting pies imaginable. Mountains of ersatz meringue and crusts like cardboard. I commend you on your search for pie. I have been on similar searchs for biscuits and barbeque in the south.
    On my last trip there a few months ago. We drove the state top to bottom. Saw lots of diners. I was kind of surprised that most had an excessive, over-the-top American Flag motif. Something about the last refuge of scoundrels is patriotism?

If you come to Arkansas searching for biscuits and barbecue, may I recommend Sims in Little Rock or Mc Clards in Hot Springs.

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman
    What's a "fried pie"?
    A fried pie is a smaller morsel of piedom whose crust is designed to contain as much fat as possible by being made with fat within the crust itself and then being fried after filling, thereby balancing any overly acidic qualities of whatever filling maybe contained within the crust.

It is also a delicacy which is much quicker to make and cook than traditional pie.--And you don't have to turn the oven on and heat up the house; a bonus during hot seasons as you can fry in your electric frying pan outside the back door.
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmm...good home made pie. Although it's not very close to Ft. Wayne, I do recall years ago being in Peru, IN on business and finding a truly fine slice there. Alas, I do not recall the name of the place.

For any who find themelves in or near Traverse City, MI, (hilly!) check out the Grand Traverse Pie Co.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great trip!
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I generally think of biscuits & bbq as separate objects of desire. "Biscuits and bbq sounds like something some Yankee would think up.", well maybe, but you probably havn't been to Dillard's Biscuits & BBQ in Suwanee, GA. And who DOESN'T think that biscuits go with EVERYTHING? I know that cornbread is generally the companion (white cornbread is my favorite) with bbq. Cornbread in the hushpuppie form is best. Sorry to go on, but I'm watching USA vs. Italy while playing on the computer. Just found a great resource on southern cooking that references fried pies, biscuits, cornbread, cobblers, etc., on the "Southern Baking Traditions" web site. Cool listing of recollected baking choices at http://www.westga.edu/~history/centerbakingstats.htm My favorite listing is method of measurement - "always estimated". That was my Grandmother, alright.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great trip and ride. If you find any excelent pies along the way ask them if they deliver to SoCal.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foehn
    A fried pie is a smaller morsel of piedom whose crust is designed to contain as much fat as possible by being made with fat within the crust itself and then being fried after filling, thereby balancing any overly acidic qualities of whatever filling maybe contained within the crust.
    I can always tell when I'm eating a pie with lard in the crust, it's soooo good!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman
    I can always tell when I'm eating a pie with lard in the crust, it's soooo good!
    The best is when you get/make a piecrust half lard and half butter--taste and texture can't be beat!
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it