Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you "see" yourself on the bike?

Two things happened recently to cause me to wonder if others have an image of themselves when they ride. Not having many photos of myself, I was stunned to see my image in a photo taken at my youngest son's graduation last week. When did my son get to be two inches taller than me with such broad, straight shoulders? When did I get the folds around the front of my neck, and where the hell did all that grey hair come from? It used to be salt and pepper; now it's all salt. It really took me by surprise. Then yesterday, I was riding and passed a truck that delivers glass panes. It had a very large mirror loaded, the kind you might see in a dance studio. As I passed, I got a full view of me in my typical riding position. BAM... once again the image I saw did not match what was in my head. Good grief, is my position really that upright? Where did those extra folds of flesh around the mid-section come from? Could my legs possibly get any more pale? The rest of the ride I'm thinking about the image I have, or how I see myself when I'm riding. I was amazed that the image is still the same one I had of myself in my mid twenties when I used to ride 10 - 15 thousand miles a year. Physically, I'm not that same person, which I was foolishly holding on to in my mind's eye. Yet, somehow, everytime I throw my legs across the top tube, my brain turns on the twenty something tape, at least as far as my sense of what I look like.

While I recognize this might be a bit of an existential (my first wife would call it vain) exercise, how do you all "see" yourself when you ride? Is there a mental image you hold, perhaps without knowing? Or, do I need to sell off a few of the bikes so I can afford a good therapist?
    Last edited by NOS88; 06-25-06 at 08:22 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mirrors are your enemy.

Don't look.

Biking is my "Walter Mitty" time.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see myself every day. I was the"poster child" for this publication from the Governor's Office of Highway Safety.

My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---
    2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 "Racing Edition"--The bike shop owner said it's toast. R.I.P.

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EVen better I have seen myself as others see me. I watch for places where two glass walls come together at a right angle. If I needed a photo I could take one.
    This space open

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of years ago- I did not look too bad- Then a Picture appeared advertising my big ride the following year- and I look old and decrepid. Personally I think I was entitled to be as the pic was taken at the end of 12 hours in the saddle and 100 miles of sitting on it. Then I have pictures of me taken shortly after the start of this years ride and I do look the part of a fit, accomplished Mountain biker. Legs are taught- muscles in trim and in places where a muscle that size should not be, and I look as though I am enjoying myself.

Get two pictures taken. One at the start of a ride and one at the end. Then throw the one at the end away.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whales on wheels..

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late
    Whales on wheels..
    Okay, I give up, where's my blow hole?
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I only resumed cycling about a year ago, my image of myself is pretty much a guy in his late 50's with too much weight around the middle and mostly gray hair. There is one statement that keeps me proud of my cycling accomplishments however small they are compared to others. After completing a full ride of the advanced section of a local MTB trail with a freind he told me to not feel bad about not being as fast as he was. I simply replied " and how many other 59 year olds do you see out here?" He responded "good point". So my image of myself is one of a man that does not allow age to interfere with his continuing improvment of his cycling capabilities. When it comes to mountain biking, I'm an older man playing a young man's sport.... and I enjoy that immensely.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    Since I only resumed cycling about a year ago, my image of myself is pretty much a guy in his late 50's with too much weight around the middle and mostly gray hair. There is one statement that keeps me proud of my cycling accomplishments however small they are compared to others. After completing a full ride of the advanced section of a local MTB trail with a freind he told me to not feel bad about not being as fast as he was. I simply replied " and how many other 59 year olds do you see out here?" He responded "good point". So my image of myself is one of a man that does not allow age to interfere with his continuing improvment of his cycling capabilities. When it comes to mountain biking, I'm an older man playing a young man's sport.... and I enjoy that immensely.
    +1, except for the mountain biking part.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Middle 50's guy just trying to slow down the onslaught of time...and having as much fun as I can doing it.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel your vain. I, too, have this much younger image of myself. In fact, I think I look younger when I see myself in the bathroom mirror than when I see photographs. Wedding pictures at my daughter's wedding made me realize (at 59) how grey I have become. Riding by big windows show I am not real sleek on the bike. But, every now and then, there's a good picture taken. And while I'm not catalog model, I dont' look bad (sometimes) for an old guy. But take heart in the fact that you are OUT there and 92.568% (my estimate) of 50+ers couldn't and aren't. Good riding to all of us.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardest thing about getting old - is remembering when you were young...

As for body image - give it up & just don't worry about it. You are what you are. If the young laugh at you, laugh back with the knowledge that when they're your age, they'll probably look MUCH worse than you do now!

The fact that you bicycle probably puts you in the top 10% for health. fitness, and looks of all folks your age. You want to be in the top one percent? Get lipo, plastic surgery, a kelp-only diet, a tanning bed, and a trophy girlfriend. That'll make you better looking. Think that'll make you happier? I didn't think so either...

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    The hardest thing about getting old - is remembering when you were young...
    You want to be in the top one percent? Get lipo, plastic surgery, a kelp-only diet, a tanning bed, and a trophy girlfriend.
    Hey, a trophy girlfriend, now that's the ticket! But I don't think the wife would be to excited about that.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't look at reflecting glass windows or stainless steel tankers that pass as I like the image I have in my head, thighs like Jan Ullrich, a waist like Georgie, a pedaling stroke like Ivan Basso's, climbing skills like Lance. Then again, maybe I'm living in a delusional world of my own.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stercomm
    I don't look at reflecting glass windows or stainless steel tankers that pass as I like the image I have in my head, thighs like Jan Ullrich, a waist like Georgie, a pedaling stroke like Ivan Basso's, climbing skills like Lance. Then again, maybe I'm living in a delusional world of my own.

It is a great place to live. I've been there.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think pictures are downright deceiving!! I feel like a 30 year old in a 50+ year old body!!!! That's my image and that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fat slob oozing out all over the recliner on my recumbent. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you guys and ladies think I never submitted a picture to the 50+ Rogues Gallery? My appearance is too gruesome to live with!!!

My Bikes
    Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lean, Fit, Aging Hipster Dufus
    riding a recumbent. And having fun!

Got several thumbs up on my bike
    today when I rode into the bowels
    of Los Angeles. It is all good.
    Ned Goudy, Glendora, CA USA
    Lightning Thunderbolt, Easy Racer EZ1, Rhoades Car
    http://www.rhoadescar.com/4w1p-j.jpg

fredelicious mini-masher overthere's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hybrid Specialized Dolce Elite, Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm..drove my niece up from Irvine today; that LA air is THICK! My lungs hurt just being there.

I see myself about 10 years younger on a bike. Hey, a few weeks ago a 30-something roadie passed by and called out, "Hey, girlfriend!" lol. Helmet and sunglasses can hide a lot!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see myself as an older guy with a younger heart and the willingness and ability to hang on to an important piece of my youth.

I guarantee you that most of us look better because of cycling than we would have without it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgkaplan
    I guarantee you that most of us look better because of cycling than we would have without it.
    Now that is a real scary thought! Hey guys and gals, PLEASE keep up the bicycling.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see myself as a kinny young guy fighting like heck to get out of this body.....
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually think the vast majority of bike riders look pretty good, no matter what their age. Maybe that's so I can think I look pretty good too! Oh well, even if I don't, I still feel pretty good and that's what counts.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do I see myself when I ride? A trained circus bear on a bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast