User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any cure for bike lust?

Well, based on recommendations from this forum about the Specialized Sequoia being a good choice for a casual and comfortable road bike, I started looking at the specs and finally went out and rode one today. I currently ride a comfort bike that I plan on keeping for the trails, and have not ridden a road bike since my Schwinn 10-speed 20+ years ago. Wow! This is a sweet-looking, smooth-riding bike, and lots of new (to me) technology. I can already see myself putting that Flight-Deck computer on it that shows your gear selection, virtual cadence, and all that.

So now that I screwed up and got myself all hot to get the new bike, is there any cure? Or should I just go back and buy it??

-- Doug

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no cures for bike lust.
    one of the finest compulsions one could be driven with
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG
    Well, based on recommendations from this forum about the Specialized Sequoia being a good choice for a casual and comfortable road bike, I started looking at the specs and finally went out and rode one today. I currently ride a comfort bike that I plan on keeping for the trails, and have not ridden a road bike since my Schwinn 10-speed 20+ years ago. Wow! This is a sweet-looking, smooth-riding bike, and lots of new (to me) technology. I can already see myself putting that Flight-Deck computer on it that shows your gear selection, virtual cadence, and all that.

So now that I screwed up and got myself all hot to get the new bike, is there any cure? Or should I just go back and buy it??

-- Doug
    You should not be on this forum unless you are prepared to be enticed into spending money on shiny new bikes. I am a mountain biker and I even got sucked into buying a road bike recently. Now if a mountain biker with years of keeping bikes covered in crud can be enticed into a shiny new bike- Then you have no chance.

Buy it. Not only to keep my conscience clean, but the sequoia is a good bike AND YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT. Only thing is- don't come back asking questions like what colour tassells to get for the bars- or where to fit the bell- because that is when you will start getting the stupid answers.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougG

-- Doug
    D'oh!

Buy it, of course, and report back immediately -- with PICTURES. We love it when someone gets a new ride.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
    no cures for bike lust.
    one of the finest compulsions one could be driven with
    There is a cure; more bikes, more bikes,..........

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to know bike-lust FRUSTRATION? I've currently got a new bike sitting in the study that I can't ride at all because my bottom is still bruised from my latest bike accident! I'm just foaming at the mouth wanting to get on that new bike, but I know that I couldn't sit down if I did!

The HORROR - The HORROR!

In any case, my advice is to go for the bike - Bikes are cheap compared to stereos, golf-clubs, motorcycles, extramarital-dalliances, houses, cars, or other fixations of folks our age... Plus - (unlike every other item I mentioned), bikes actually IMPROVE your health (unless they buck you off, like mine do). Happy riding!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy! Buy! Buy! Then start saving for the upgrades to this and the eventual additional bikes you'll come to own and cherish. The first step is acceptance of the fact that there is a power stronger than you... BIKE LUST!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A trip to Mexico might cost more....but would make you feel sad for the poverty, might cause you to feel the wrath of Montezuma, perhaps put on a few pounds, and be just one more vacation and a faint memory in a few months. Your new bike will be your loyal pal, take you on many adventures, make you healthier, introduce you to more speed, flood you with the better-than-cerveza high of endorphins....and last for 20 years, or until your next, inevitable bike purchase.

Get your checkbook and buy it now. The road to heaven has a bike lane I understand.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave in...bet you will too!
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My self control limits me to one new bike per year so far. Only time will tell if I can maintain this control.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to channel your lust in the right direction and not get caught in public trails and roads lusting after other bikes go buy it. This way your lusting is socially acceptable as you are lusting after your own bike.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'm about 6 steps into the 12 step program.........it only gets worse over time!!! More, more, more!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, backing away from that is really going to be tough. I try to distinguish between what I need versus what I may 'want". I had a hard time walking away from a polished aluminum GRR recumbent when I went to the easyracers factory. Wow, what a nice bike. However, I ride 15 mile trips on a flat trail that goes along a creek out to San Francisco bay. I'm 58 and looking for a sweaty workout. It's a really nice bike and I can afford it, but I don't need it. My Sun EZ Sport will do the job just fine. Heresy? Yes, but I don't need to spend $3500.00+ to save 7 lbs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to divert your attention to another persuit. A mistress might do the trick.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a cure for bike lust? Well yes, but it isn't pretty........
    http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=9265

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=9266
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Torelli, Bianchi Trofeo, De Rosa, Specialized Expedition Touring, Colnago Cross, Motobecane Grand Jubile & Grand Record, Miyata 710, 2 Titans, Raleigh Super Course, 3Rensho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there are 12 steps, why do I have 15 bikes?
    visit my homebuilding blog: www.monoplanar.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke
    You need to divert your attention to another persuit. A mistress might do the trick.
    What's the point? Do you really think that would be less costly than buying a couple of new bikes every year?

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no cure.

The worst part is that, even after you buy the bike that you debated and schemed over for so long. there will be another, even cooler bike next year to lust after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't say a mistress would be cheap. One might cure the bike lust though.