Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel Frame - Any Gios Compact Pro owners out there?

Ok - I need some advice.

I am in the market for a steel framed road bike. I'm 50, in good shape, have always ridden steel and at this point am more interested in ride comfort that weight. With this in mind I have been looking for a frame design that is comfortable, yet still responsive.

I'd been seroiusly looking at a Lemond Zurich and then recently got transferred to Germany, where I am learning the brands and models within brands differ significantly from what I had researched in the US. A few of the bike shops I visited talked to me about Gios Compact Pro. The workmanship looked fine but I looked at the frame geometry and was a little concerned that top tube length was short (I'm 183 cm tall, 88cm inseam and was looking at a size 60 frame with a 570mm top tube). I couldn't understand from their web-page frame sketch whether the top tube length was Actual or Effective.

So, I'm looking for some infor from Gios owners on their experience. Also would be greatful for any other brand/model or sizing advice.

John from Duesseldorf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gios isn't a "compact frame". That "Compact" model designation comes from the fact that the frame had a very short wheelbase back in the day.

Gios are very good riding bikes. Whether you'd think it the best ever probably would depend on your own body dimensions.

And sometimes it's difficult to tell what works and what doesn't until you try it. I got a Fuji frame as a present and set it up with the stuff I had around. The fork was exactly the correct size steerer so I couldn't put any risers to the stem. I didn't think that it would work out for me being in a VERY 'racy' position on the bike. The reach was also a little shorter than I normally use. But the end result was a bike that is extremely comfortable and I wouldn't have predicted that.

When my youngest brother was first getting into cycling I bought him a used Gios painted this sort of nasty pinkish grey metallic. He STILL claims he's sorry he sold it because he's never found another bike that climbs like that. And he now has a Litespeed and a Giant TCR.

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For comfort, you want a somewhat longer wheelbase - check out the Bianchi Eros.