Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Wind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wind

This year the winds have been incredible, makes me feel like I'm in mud ( I know it's making me stronger but enough already). Two days ago when I was safe and sitting in my living room the gust were 60 mph.

Head winds are OK, Tailwinds are great but those darn crosswinds!
    Anyone know of a biker getting knocked down by the winds?

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago during the "Ironman" triathelon they had 50+ mph winds and several riders got blown over by sudden gusts.
    A lot of the riders that attempt Mt. Washington get blown over....

I've got routes that I can take on windy days.... I just start out into the wind, ride till I'm cooked, turn around and let it blow me home.
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me the wind is always in my face. Last weekend over Saturday and Sunday I did 140 miles. We had 35 mph winds both days. I would keep thinking to myself not to get worked up over riding out into the wind - that I would be rewarded with a swift tailwind coming back. No joy, it seemed the wind either shifted or whatever, but, riding back was just as bad as riding out.

The weather is much nicer this weekend. Did about 60 miles yesterday - looks like I'm a bit off track to make my 200 miles this weekend - but, hey, who cares.

Riding was pleasant without wind yesterday. I have never experienced 55 mph gusts. Must be quite fun.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's some really strong winds! Give me hills over wind anyday!! At least you can see the top of the hill and know you're making progress......

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    I've got routes that I can take on windy days.... I just start out into the wind, ride till I'm cooked, turn around and let it blow me home.
    I've got a route that I ride frequently that is dead flat. Frequently, on the way out, everything seems to be going well which I attribute to my being in better shape than I had thought. Invariably the turn around point drives home the news that I've been riding with a tailwind.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TaosWoman
    Head winds are OK, Tailwinds are great but those darn crosswinds!
    One of the reasons That decided I would abandon on the Offroad Jaunt in May was the news that riders WERE being blown off their bikes on the next Exposed section of the Hills. Other reasons were there like feeling shattered and didn't want to play any more but It does occur.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Head winds are OK, Tailwinds are great but those darn crosswinds!
    I almost went down once while riding sans hands while hit by a crosswind blast. Recovered just in time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    That's some really strong winds! Give me hills over wind anyday!! At least you can see the top of the hill and know you're making progress......
    Fortunately, winds that strong are rare around here. I just happened to have scheduled a lot of riding that weekend and decided not to let the wind keep me from it. Not only was it windy, but it was chilly for the season to boot.

This weekend has been much nicer - warm (hot), and breezes that can be described as gentle.

Caruso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    I've got routes that I can take on windy days....
    My windy day miles are in a small valley that runs N - S so the winds, generally from the West are not a problem. 6 mile "laps" in the valley can be less than exciting but then I hate high wind days.

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even more dangerous than being blown over by winds is the weaving caused by wind gusts. Leave lots of room between you and traffic on windy days.

Living in Montana has brought a whole new understanding to windy.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago, the year that the big comet was in the spring sky, I skied the last two days of the season at Taos - boy, was it windy! At one point I just had to crouch down on my knees, with my back to the wind, for about 10 minutes. Good thing it wasn't all that cold, and I had on a good wind blocking shell. When it comes to cycling, I'll take hills over wind any day! I really notice cross winds with my bladed spokes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year the winds have been incredible, makes me feel like I'm in mud ( I know it's making me stronger but enough already). Two days ago when I was safe and sitting in my living room the gust were 60 mph.
    Along the Colorado front range, we had a very windy winter (broke the record for number of days with 20mph winds in January). Spring seemed equally windy to me. I think things are improving but we still have some very windy days, and it does seem like there's more wind than past years. I'm blaming global warming

LMCM wannabe
    My Bikes
    Peugot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've ridden in winds here that have nearly blown me off the bike. Road intersections are bad - where the road intersects there are no trees and the wind is funnelled - like riding through a fire hose. Worse than the wind is the branches. The wind blows dead branches off the trees onto the road and then the cars run over them - they go off like ***** shots and pieces of shattered dead branch fire off in all directions. I've nearly been hit many times.
    Anyone else had this experience??
    "Live today as if it is your last, plan for tomorrow as if you will live forever"