I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, what should I be worried about?

My lower left leg numbness keeps returning. I don't think it's all about the bike, because it doesn't seem to have a cause-effect relationship. For instance, this morning I'm feeling it and i only rode 20 miles yesterday, and that was 24 hours ago.

I get a slight numbing in my left calf, a very slight tingle, sort of the feeling when it's "asleep" but not really pins and needles. Just numbness, and it's simply noticeable and weird. It may or may not be coincidental that my left foot is the one that seems to get numb on rides, although not as much as before (and it goes away during the ride, btw).

If it continues, I suppose I should go to a doctor, although my experience with things like this is the doctor will say, 'Hmmm...that's odd," and that will be about it.

In the meantime, what should I be worried about? What could this mean? I googled "leg numbness" and got things all over the board, but mostly things about sciatica, which i don't think this is.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the doc.

As you have found out, this could be a plethora of conditions.

I wouldn't mess around with it. It could relate to some problems with the nerves in your spinal cord as related to your spine, or a whole bunch of other things (such as diabetes).

I don't think a good doc will just ignore the problem. Numbness is one of the things they ask about in a neurological exam.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 for Denver's advice on this. We don't want to lose you! It is probably "nothing," but don't just ignore it - if it turns out to be "something," instead, you're better finding it earlier rather than later.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +another 1 on Denvers advice. A friend of mine had a similar symptom. It continued to get worse over the course of several months and she ended up finding out she had a compressed disk in the lower back.

I'm not saying that's what you have, just that you should find out what it is before you have to have surgery or something severe to fix it.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't muck about, Gary. This is no time to "do research" and "ask for advice" as you might when it comes to bike selection, etc. ()

Go to a doctor and resolve it one way or the other.
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 06-18-06 at 01:02 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And please don't find a "used" doctor on Craigslist!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, Please follow DFox's advice and see a doctor. If he says hmmm that's strange and does nothing else, maybe it's time to try another doctor. I now wish I had seen a doctor sooner about my neck pain.
    PS. No pictures are neccessary this once.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto to everything. I'll add that if your doctor mumbles something about it being odd, let him know that there are many odd things in life (residents of San Diego, platypusses, your ex-mother-in law, etc.) but your leg numbness isn't one of them. Then if necessary, have him refer you to a doctor who has a higher threshold of odd. Do not however, let him refer you to Dr. P. Diego in South America.

Don't screw around with this one. Go see a doctor. If it's nothing, you need to know. If it's the beginning of something, you need to know. If it's major, you need to know. Go see a doctor.

JiO
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be serious, could be nothing.... could be Peripheral Neuropathy, could be your shorts are to tight. Do you really want someone like me to tell you what's wrong???? Go to a Doctor.
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    Do not however, let him refer you to Dr. P. Diego in South America.
    I always have trouble with thespian patients. Call my office and make an appointment.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I made an appointment with my doctor. Scheduled a physical as well (it's been five years). He wasn't available until next Monday, but I don't think what I'm dealing with is something more acute (knock wood). I've never been much of a go-to-the-doctor kind of guy, but I would like some peace of mind. Or piece of mind. Whichever comes first.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Okay, I made an appointment with my doctor. Scheduled a physical as well (it's been five years). He wasn't available until next Monday, but I don't think what I'm dealing with is something more acute (knock wood). I've never been much of a go-to-the-doctor kind of guy, but I would like some peace of mind. Or piece of mind. Whichever comes first.
    You can tell the doc (if you so desire!) that 100's of folks on the internet are awaiting his/her diagnosis and treatment plan - so he/she better not screw up!

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    You can tell the doc (if you so desire!) that 100's of folks on the internet are awaiting his/her diagnosis and treatment plan - so he/she better not screw up!
    And not to mention we're waiting in 4 countries on at least 3 continents too.

And remember Gary, when the doctor asks you a question, remember that it's paw the ground 3 times for "yes", and 5 times for "no". And if you don't know, whinny and shake your head.

Glad to be of help.

John in Ore
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I can take a hint. I talk too much. I'll keep the diagnosis to myself. Appreciate the feedback.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can take a hint. I talk too much. I'll keep the diagnosis to myself. Appreciate the feedback.
    i'd like to hear...same thing happened to me and i was surprised when i found the cause...drop a hint a least

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mis read the intent of my message. It was not a hint. I really would like to know, if you feel up to sharing whatever - and that most likely is nothing, hopefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My lower left leg numbness keeps returning.
    Be very clear with the Doc: lower left leg, not upper left leg.

motto: start slow, then ease off

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the left leg hurts, amputate the right testicle. Works every time.
    Trek 7.3 FX, then I got real,
    2006 LeMond Alpe d'Huez.
    But then that got stolen, so I upgraded to a
    2006 LeMond Chambery... WOW