Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Ride at Harris Lake for Roccobike

I've had good rides and not so good rides. But there's no way to describe today's ride but 'bad'. I got up early and decided to get in a nice quick morning ride at Hog's Run in Harris Lake before the day's activities started. I took the dual suspension bike with clipless pedals and promised myself today I would take on the advanced trail with clipless to see how well I clip in and out. Well, long story short I fell five times, three were hard with the bike going one way and me the other. I can attribute one fall to forgetting to raise my crank as I cleared a protruding root on a sharp uphill. Three other times it was clearly snake bit tires. The fifth, well who cares.
    The trail was not in good shape. Hurricane Alberto combined with a tornado that touched down in the area near the trail caused significant degredation of the trail. It was more 'rooty' than I remember. Add to this, sections of the trails at Harris Lake are closed. So instead of going out on the right side trail, all traffic has to go out on the left, or return trail, which has been worn down going in the other direction. Anyway after three falls, I decided it was time to call it quits, but not before the trail bit me twice more. I can't blame the clipless, these were not slow falls, these were fast one minute you're in control the next minute you're taking an unwanted trip. I'm not sure if the dual suspension contributed or not. One things for sure, I've got to work on this to improve. When I returned to the trail-head, the other MTBrs saw the blood on my elbow and knees and said nothing, dead silence.
    When I returned home my wife had a father's day breakfast complete with a present of a set of Craftsman metric combined wrenches. Than made my day. I added some Polysporin for my wounded knees and elbow and later that day an IceHouse beer for my wounded pride.
    Sometimes I think this is a young man's sport......NAH!
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah.....its for the young at heart.....and stands to reason that the older the body that does it must indicate the younger the heart-----with all the folly, glory, hope, obsession, skinned knees and joy in life that goes with such youthfulness. In between times, polysporin, IceHouse, a sympathetic wife, and a heating pad ain't too bad.

And you know you'll be out there again....maybe minding your pedals a bit more, because age is wise as well as reckless.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Nah.....its for the young at heart.....and stands to reason that the older the body that does it must indicate the younger the heart-----with all the folly, glory, hope, obsession, skinned knees and joy in life that goes with such youthfulness. In between times, polysporin, IceHouse, a sympathetic wife, and a heating pad ain't too bad.

And you know you'll be out there again....maybe minding your pedals a bit more, because age is wise as well as reckless.
    Thanks GrannyGear, well said.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch!! You are one tough fellow Rocco......I would have been pushing that thing out of the woods. And you plan to go back!! I'm impressed with your fortitude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannyGear
    Nah.....its for the young at heart.....and stands to reason that the older the body that does it must indicate the younger the heart-----with all the folly, glory, hope, obsession, skinned knees and joy in life that goes with such youthfulness.
    Yes, well said GG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my area we have some technical trails with lots of rocky (limestone) spots thrown in with the roots and logs. I ride off-road occasionally but I know which trails are likely to throw/dump me off the bike. Last broken collarbone took too long to heal, I avoid highly risky off-road. But I applaud your courage to keep going after 4 spills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my area we have some technical trails with lots of rocky (limestone) spots thrown in with the roots and logs. I ride off-road occasionally but I know which trails are likely to throw/dump me off the bike. Last broken collarbone took too long to heal, I avoid highly risky off-road. But I applaud your courage to keep going after 4 spills.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having shoulder surgery next week. I have a torn rotator cuff in the right shoulder and its getting worse.

This is the result of a fall last November on a trail ride at a state park. I'm still not sure what happened, but something slipped and I flipped and caught myself on my right shoulder. The bike was still attached and the only thing keeping me from going over a big drop was the coefficient of friction between me and the bike and the ground.

For me, for I pretty much just avoid things that might not turn out to be fun, and stay on lower level bike paths, country dirt roads (lots of them around here) and hike/bike paths.

My experience with growing old is that every five years or so you have to give up another sport. So far I have given up flag football, baseball, slow pitch softball, racquetball, and water skiing, mostly due to knees.

I don't plan to give up biking even if I have to go to one of those three wheelers with a basket on back. Do they make those with a Dura-Ace or Ultegra group?

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike
    I can't blame the clipless, these were not slow falls, these were fast one minute you're in control the next minute you're taking an unwanted trip.

Sometimes I think this is a young man's sport......NAH!
    Well Rocco, I don't know about this. I'm still riding my mtb on the dirt roads and the rail-trails (22 miles on it yesterday). Last November I did one of those "one minute in control and the next going over" routines. I caught my weight with my right arm. The only thing that kept me from going off a 30' drop was the coefficient of friction between my body and bike (still clipped together) and the ground, as I was on a downsloping ledge when came to rest.

I'm having shoulder surgery next Thursday to fix the torn rotator cuff. I'm becoming more and more risk averse because it takes so much longer to heal.