just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour de Cure - Kansas City

When I got up and went outside, it was misting a little at 5:30 AM. I decided not to bring
    rain gear it was 65 degrees.

We left downtown Kansas City MO at 7 AM. I started out fast 20 mph. I wanted to get
    out in front to get around some construction barricades. We went over the Burlington
    bridge hwy 9. I was staying at 20 mph and talking to other riders. My best ride avg in the
    past was 14.2. I didn't know how fast I could pace because I had bought some slicks
    Wednesday and had not tested them long range.

We came to some gravel, I slowed down and was passed by 20+/- riders.

It was still cloudy but the misting had stopped. When we got to a rest station at Farley on
    hwy 45 I stopped but didn't feel the need to hang around. That early leave put me back in
    front of those 20 riders. By this time my avg speed was 18 mph. I still thought I might be
    going too fast but I felt good so I maintained that pace. Turned West on 45 spur one guy
    caught me and I followed him over the Missouri river bridge to Leaventhworth Kansas. I
    let him go after we got to town. Turning North again on hwy 73 we were heading Nw
    into the wind. How fast was the wind? I don't know I always overestimate it. But it was
    strong enough to make the down hills not easy.

About 1/2 way through we came to a long steady hill after a while I really became
    fatigued my avg speed was down to 15 mph and I was peddling at 9 to 10 mph. my
    cadence was above 60. I pulled out a peanutbutter/honey sandwich. It was dry but I
    forcd it down washing it down with water. Now the sun came out. Not long after my
    energy picked up a lot. I started pushing on the down hills but could only get it up to
    30mph.

Arriving in Atchison KS we got a bus (provided by the Tour de Cure) across the
    Missouri river. The bridge was narrow it would not be fun riding over it.

Riding back South we had the wind behind us. And flat roads for awhile. I was running
    17-20 mph pace. When we got close to Weston the hills started up again shorter but
    steeper then the ones on the Kansas side. I could tell when I got to Weston I was spent. I
    was standing on the pedals to climb. About 4 guys passed me in the last 3 blocks.

Just as I got to the finish my wife and daughter had parked the car and arrived at the road
    where we were finishing. So it was neat they got to see me come in.

When I got off the bike I was a little dizzy and sat down. I ended up with a avg speed of
    15.8 mph. A record avg speed by 1.6 mph when I increased my record distance by 20
    miles. 70 miles total. So I'm pleased with the ride. (My computer measures rolling time
    only). I am also pleased with my Bianchi Volpe it was humming.

A century is now within view.

They had a lunch for us. I won a T-shirt by being first to answer a trivia question "What
    year did Greg Lamond win the Tour de France." I answered 1989. He also won in 1986 &

Last edited by cruzMOKS; 06-18-06 at 08:14 PM.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzMOKS
    I ended up with a avg speed of
    15.8 mph. A record avg speed by 1.6 mph when I increased my record distance by 20
    miles. 70 miles total. So I'm pleased with the ride. (My computer measures rolling time
    only). I am also pleased with my Bianchi Volpe it was humming.

A century is now within view.

It sure is within reach. Way to go!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ride cruz!! That's a darn good average speed for that distance as well. Isn't it neat when the family gets involved in the ride as well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done!
    How many other riders did the ride?