tly
    My Bikes
    Cannondale T700 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Combo of shoes and pedals

I am considering going clipless and am trying to decide which direction to go. I ride a Cannondale t700 for my road machine and have a Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc. I divide my time fairly equally between the two and enjoy both equally. Is there a clipless pedal that will work well for both machines and should I go with mountian shoes or road shoes or should I bite the bullet and buy two pairs of shoes? I probably won't make the total jump to clipless right away because of the fear factor of being clipped in on the mtn bike.

I've learned so much from this forum. 50+ is my home.

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use mtn bike shoes (SPD sandals) and mtn bike clips on my roadie. I also have regular mtn bike shoes, but I never use them any more.

As I use toe clips on my mtn bike I can't specifically speak to that, but I would think I would have absolutely no problem if I installed the same clips on the mtn bike that I have on the roadie.

Depends on your objectives. Do you want the "roadie" look and lighter equipment?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road spacific shoes and wide platform cleats (like Look or Shimano SPD SL) provide more than a "roadie" look and light weight. The road shoes have a much stiffer sole and the wide cleats spread the point at which the pedal and cleat come together. It makes for a more solid feel like you are connected better to the bike. It also makes your stroke more efficiant.
    I used SPD cleats and pedals on both MBT and road bikes for awhile and was glad when I went to spacific shoes/pedals as you are definatly making a compramise in either direction.
    I currently use SPD on my MBT bike and for city riding as you can jump off the bike and walk easier in those shoes.
    On my road bikes (commuter and road bike) I use SPD SL as I am not worried about walking in them (although once I walked three miles in them when I broke two spokes, it wasn't as bad as you might imagine). The road shoes and cleats just work better.
    I always try and tell people that if you're worrying about "getting out" of cleats your worrying about the wrong thing, my experience is that "getting into" cleats has been more of an issue. With that in mind you'll find road cleats easier to deal with as clipping into SPD cleats/pedals is harder as they are tiny and since they are on the bottom of your foot (where you can't see where they are) it is sometimes hard to position them into the cleat.

tly
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Thanks guys. I think that I'll go road specific and hold off on the mtn for now.

Tom

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the Crank Bros pedals. I have Eggbeaters on my MTB and Candies on my road bike. I wear a lite weight Specialized Sierra MTB shoe. I have never had a problem with either and will never get anything but Crank Bros again.

I got the shoe wrong, it's the Sonoma.
    Last edited by HopedaleHills; 06-22-06 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first went with spd pedals I was using Cannondale mtb shoes but for some reason the bottoms of my feet kept getting really hot. I bought a pair of Specialized Sonoma shoes which I use for riding outdoors and when I teach Spinning classes. They work really well for me and aren't bad to walk in either.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    Take a look at the Crank Bros pedals. I have Eggbeaters on my MTB and Candies on my road bike. I wear a lite weight Specialized Sierra MTB shoe. I have never had a problem with either and will never get anything but Crank Bros again.
    I keep forgetting about these pedals- But anyone starting on clipless should look at these pedals- They are probably the most basic pedal design around and probably the most efficient for Mountain bikes. I believe they have one that is suitable for Road use aswell, and I have heard of several roadies using Crank bros pedals successfully. Look at the type of shoe you want- It is surprising the number of roadies using an MTB shoe. Not the full blown one with clips and Studded soles- but the Trainer casual look SPD shoe. Road specific shoes may be the best for Road use- but a Shimano or similar Trainer type shoe looks better when going into cafes or sightseeing, and if used with the right pedal and cleat can be walked in. And as to pedalling efficiency- If racing- yes you want that. I would rather have something I can walk comfortably in though.

Worried about being clipped in on an MTB? Why? Doesn't matter which type of riding you do- The worry will be there. I did a ride last weekend on my road bike and Boy was I worried- Tarmac is harder than mud.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopedalehills has the right idea. The CrankBros eggbeaters are excellent on and offroad pedals. They are simple to set up and work flawlessly. Get one good pair of shoes and use them for both bikes. I chose Sidi Dragons because (1) they fit my feet perfectly and (2) the soles are replacable, so when they eventually do wear down you just order new parts and replace them yourself.

I used Speedplays on my road bike for years and they're a great, lightweight pedal, but you can't overestimate the practicality of being able to walk normally (and safely). I went from Sidi road shoes and Speedplays to Sidis and eggbeaters and could detect absolutely no difference in performance -- even while racing, except that I can walk to the post-race food table with ease ...

Highly recommended combo.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got two pair of speedplay x3's that are just sitting around collecting dust..... I've swithed all of my bikes to eggbeaters and have 1 pair of MTB shoes and one pair of sandals. (My fancy rad shoes are also collecting dust) Honestly if it's warm enogh I will wear the sandals, YOU CAN NOT BEAT THEM. In colder weather I grudgingly break out the MTB shoes....
    Carpe who?

tly
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lateral movement

Wow! Great responses. Do the Crank Brothers pedals have some lateral movement? I've been told that you need a little side to side movement on long rides to help your knees. Good point stepfam about tarmac being harder than mud. I guess I'm concerned about the abrasivness of the gravel and the likelyhood of getting into more comprimising spots with the mtn bike but in those situations, the speed won't be as great at least.
    I'm going to check out the Cranks!

Tom

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tly
    Wow! Great responses. Do the Crank Brothers pedals have some lateral movement? I've been told that you need a little side to side movement on long rides to help your knees. Good point stepfam about tarmac being harder than mud. I guess I'm concerned about the abrasivness of the gravel and the likelyhood of getting into more comprimising spots with the mtn bike but in those situations, the speed won't be as great at least.
    I'm going to check out the Cranks!

Tom
    If I recall correctly, the Crank Bros pedals have about 6 deg of lateral movement. They do seem to let your feet move a little and have never bothered my knees.

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crank Brothers is currently sponsoring Sierra Nevada/Kodak Gallery domestically and Davitamon Lotto internationally. They use the Quattro model.

www.crankbrothers.com