Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Up-down-Up-down

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Up-down-Up-down

Old 06-18-06, 06:50 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up-down-Up-down

Howdy from sunny Utah,

Yesterday my stoker wifie and I finished a wonderful, 50 mile ride. It was a lovely cruise up into a high canyon, about 3,000' of climbing. We started in the Heber valley, just south of Park City, and climbed east about 15 miles, then back down into the valley west, climbing again up to the high west bench area. So the ride was up one side, down, and up the other, and then back down. The temperature was just perfect, about 65F at the start (9:30 A.M.) and about 85F at the end. I think there were about 25 riders, and 3 of us were tandem teams. My stoker and I decided to take the tandem, even though they are real slugs for climbing. But, boy, do they come down fast, at times over 45 MPH. We were one of the last up the mountain, but were the first ones down.

If you look carefully, you can see the valley floor, looking west from the top of the mountain. Robert Redford's house is below the large, snow-capped mountain. The shot from the parking lot is looking east, back up the mountain from where we just came down. The parking lot is at the Soldier's Summit skiing area, where the 2002 Olympic cross country events took place.

As I said, it was a great ride, and the Mexican food afterwords just added to a perfect day.

Hope you enjoy the pics.

P.S. This is my first attempt at attaching pictures, hope it works.
Old 06-18-06, 07:16 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. I loved the part about the views and the Mexican Food! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
Old 06-19-06, 11:26 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Sounds like a great ride. I loved the part about the views and the Mexican Food! Looking forward to seeing the pics!
+1 or rather +2 from another tandem team. Have to agree about the lack of speed up hills, but NO SOLO stands a chance when gravity takes over. Sunday I took in a hill on my road bike and got 46MPH on it and that was going for it chasing a load of other bikes on a Closed road. Last year we did it on a Tandem and that was with traffic that slowed us down. Same hill but better conditions for the solo, Tandem did 52.8--with traffic.

Spike Milligan