User Tag List

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Training advice for MS150

How much training should I be doing to ride in the MS150 in August? I've only been riding for a few months, and no more than 20 miles at a time. I'd like to use this as a goal for training this summer. My main issue is time - I'd find it difficult to ride more than 4-6 hours per week, but could do more. Should I be working up to a 60+ mile ride? Only 6 weeks to go.

So am I kidding myself, or is this something that anyone with determination can finish? In addition to conditioning, should I be practicing any other skills, like survival in mass charity rides with inexperienced cyclists (myself included in that category)?

I need to decide whether to ride on our company team, or just sponsor a friend again this year. Any and all advice is welcome, though I may choose to ignore it!

Rich

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, when time is a factor, I go for the hills.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    you need to get close to what you will be doing in the event. If it's 60 miles or so, then you need to add 10 miles a week. If it is a multi-day event, you need to do training rides back to back as well.

If the course is in the mountains, you need to train there. Do one really hard ride a week. Then do a couple easy rides (basically M-W or T-Th) to keep things going.