Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Mourning Doves

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mourning Doves

I received my new Brooks B17N Laced saddle yesterday just in time to see the storm blow in. A wall of sand as high as the Rockies, 60+ mph winds followed by rain for the evening.

I'm an early riser and always have been. With no prep, I saddled up and peddled my bike out of the drive and headed out of town. The storms that blow threw here leave a clean smell behind them along with the broken branches and sudden puddles. The 60 degree air was also welcome after remembering the afternoons of high 90's and 100's.

I took a road less traveled that crossed the cotton fields and acres of undeveloped land of prairie grass and scrub oak. The birds were singing as if in unison praising the welcome rain. This all felt good as the sun was rising. Then I heard the "whoo-whooo" of the mourning dove. That one sound has the trigger to take me back to my boyhood growing up in Louisiana, South and West Texas....getting up before anyone else and going out into the quiet mornings with no distractions as the day begins except for that lonely "whoo-whooo" of a lone mourning dove off in the distance. I don't know, it was such a peacefull feelling riding along in the cool and wet dawn with that same familiar sound as the only break of this quite morning besides the swish of my tires.

Just some thoughts from this morning

Oh, I even forgot to evaluate my new saddle.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post! It's great to have the kind of ride where the equipment really becomes secondary. You just have to figure that the seat must be good or you wouldn't have heard the doves over your muttering about how bad the seat was.

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HaHa, yeah are maybe I just think my butt is supposed to hurt.

Actually, it felt fine. I just got lost in the moment and not in thinking about technical stuff on the bike.

My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR2 sport, 1990 Diamondback Sorrento
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carpe Diem Turtle!!! Nice post brightened my day. Hope the saddle works out well
    1990 Diamondback Sorrento
    2006 Giant OCR2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what it's all about.

Thanks,

Paul

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to get out and and about with nothing to annoy you except for the wild life- There I was on Sunday driving into Brighton at 4.30 am and the wild life that was about- Never seen so many rabbits- at one point must have been 50 in one spot- Saw a couple of Foxes- and a couple of Deer ran across the road in front of me- Just as I was enjoying the "Morning" chorus of all the birds by driving slowly with the window Down- Got the Mourning dove all over the front of the Car- Splat. Bloody wood pigeons and the feathers blinded the car following me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "praising the welcome rain" among other lines a very pleasant read. Thank you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's too funny Stapfam. Kind of spoils the mood, huh? Your post, though, made me recall something I did not put in the op. As I rode through the CRP (the land farmers are paid not to farm but let return to native vegetation) there were literally hundreds of prairie dogs sitting outside their holes. I guess the rain flooded their homes. Many were right at the road's edge and as I went by they did not even flinch but just watched as I passed by. One of these days I gotta get a camera.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I read this post this morning, I was reminded that I haven't seen any Doves this year.... some Bandtail Pigeons, which are more rare, but no Mourning Doves. As if on cue, a pair was sitting on a wire watching me ride past this afternoon.

Dogbait

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just returned from three days in Lubbock at orientation for my future Red Raider. I took my flat bar Fuji road bike with me, planning to ride yesterday afternoon, which was free time. Unfortunately, the storm you refer to blew in and ruined my plans. I saw many of those as a kid growing up on the plains but this was my Bay State wife's first witness to a wall of sand following by the cleansing rain.

I was just plain tuckered out this morning, so I didn't get out and ride. Three days in flat ground territory without riding....my loss.

I did stop at the bike store on Broadway and bought some Double T cycle socks. By chance had a good visit and first hand report from a customer on current conditions of the Caprock Canyons trail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleguy54
    One of these days I gotta get a camera.
    Your words are your camera. No picture needed when written well, your story stands on it's own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Your words are your camera. No picture needed when written well, your story stands on it's own.
    A big +1...

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Another +1! Your story would make a great sermon illustration.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mourning dove sounds.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Read, I road 2 mornings last week on a single lane country road. Saw about 30 deer each morning, including 2 fawns and 2 nice bucks in velvet. Saw a coyoye chasing a fawn last year. It cornered a fawn in a fence corner and I grabbed a bottle (litter on road) threw it at coyote and chased it away.
    Saw many a raccoon headed back to their den. My favorite time to ride.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very poetic.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice post. Another great example of why we like to get out on the bike!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The perfect ride. Thanks.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for the nice comments. Yeah it was a nice ride and just thought I would post some thoughts. I don't usually post much and thought I would contribute. I'm still working on the saddle but I think I have it about dialed in. Still a little sore after riding and haven't taken it out longer than a couple of hours yet. Maybe tomorow.

Hey Monoborracho, my youngest son is starting Tech in the Fall also. Thank God the last one!

Again, thank you all for the comments and your own experiences.