Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, after some more searching I found another (friendlier) LBS that has my size frame in the Roubaix. The place is actually on the route I took Saturday when going for my long ride. They said I should come on over and test the Roubaix, so I plan to do so this evening. Hopefully with better service than the last place!

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at the Roubaix and a used Trek 5000. The Roubaix is quite a bit more money, but it just seems to call out to me. Now, if I can figure out how to convince my wife it is really the used Trek!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I go to the bike shop in Folsom and there it is. Roubaix in black/silver and in my size. I leave the guy my driver's license and head off along the bike path by the shop. This section of the path runs along Lake Natoma. It's about five pm and that part of the path is shaded by overhanging trees. Lots of folks pass me as I try and figure out how to smoothly shift the gears on drop handlebars. This is only my second time doing this so I am being extra careful. Give me the rapid fire shifters on my Sirrus and I can do it in my sleep. The second thing that I notice immediately is that 23 tires make my 28s seem like mountain bike tires. After a while, I began to become more comfortable with the shifting and start to pick up some speed. I get the feeling that I could ride this bike to Oregon if I forget to turn around. I think the bike shop might frown on this, so I reluctantly turn around and head back. Just for good measure I take out a Trek Pilot which is in the same price range and I am told comparable to the Roubaix. I am sure the Trek is a fine bike, but I couldn't wait to get back and see the Roubaix again. I think I might just have to figure out a way to get this bike!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I think I might just have to figure out a way to get this bike!
    Look what happened to the last three guys who "figured out a way" to get a Roubiax!"
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sides are still hurting from laughing so hard....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dauphin,
    Buy the bike, or thoughts and regrets for not doing so will buy you. You've worked hard all your life, taken the garbage out, patiently endured 18 year old LBS clerks, logged miles on a "trainer" bike. Now, like Cortez with one boot in the New World, you look out upon endless miles of golden, unexplored cycling.
    With your past history behind you, infinite possibility before you, can you really afford not to go forth well-mounted? Buy the bike...........your future Self, a faster, longer rider, is depending on you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granny,

They should pay YOU the commission...

My Bikes
    Marin Indian Fire Trail- set up for the road (for now)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialized Roubaix

Ditto to what foxden said. If you can find a 2005 Elite leftover, go for it. I saved $500.00 off of MSRP and the componetry is better although it is 9 speed not 10. Honestly it does not matter. The local shop also swapped out the 53/39 FSA carbon crank for a 50/34 no charge. I picked up my new steed on a Friday night and did a 50 mi charity ride the next day. It was my longest ride this year so far and I was sorry that I didn't do the 75. It was that much different from my other bike (rigid frame Marin Indian Fire Trail w/ 1.25 Specialized Fat Boys @ 90PSI) Comfort, speed, climbs like it has a motor (almost), I'm in lust!
    Craig
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
    and get used to the idea.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty new to this, but I'm pretty sure my wife can't tell the difference between a used Trek and a new Roubaix. Except that one says "Trek" on it and the other says "Specialized". But hey, I'm almost 57, I've taken out the garbage for a long, long time, etc, etc.

And I've got 2 neighbors, one slightly older and one slightly younger, who both had open lung surgery. One guy had a malignant tumor and the other one had some weird inflamation or auto immune reaction. Last night, when walking the dog with my wife, we ran into the guy who had the tumor removed. He's going to be fine, but it occurred to me that a day may come quicker than I want when I won't be able physically do a lot of things I can do now and want to do. Thats my personal current justification for spending more money than I should on a bike.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm like foxden. Just bought 2005 Roubaix Elite Triple for a good closeout price. I was really settled on the base 2005 Roubaix also on closeout, but the price difference between base (Al frame with Carbon forks/seatstays) and Elite (Full Carbon) was only $300. And of course, after test riding the two models, there was no doubt that the Elite dampened the rough roads much better. I was fitted well enough when I bought it, so now I'm just riding it everyday and have no complaints so far. Okay, well, the wheels will have to be my first upgrade, I suppose.

Anyway, I also showed up in a LBS 15 minutes before closing, and although, wasn't treated the same way as dauphin, I definitely detected a "we really can't entertain you right now" with the way they answered my questions. The owner wasn't there, so I suppose the LBS associates where just hurrying up to close and leave the shop. I bought the Roubaix Elite in a different shop, of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a chance to test an 06 Elite today. The price was around 1500.00 for the new one. I also rode a Trek Pilot and a Cannondale Synapse. I liked the Cannondale better than the Trek, but neither measured up to the Roubaix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oddly enough, I was driving around with a business partner yesterday, and we passed by a bike shop. He asked me to turn in so he could check on a broken part he had taken in to check on the warrenty. And so there I was, face to face with a Roubiax. Of course, I immdiately thought of this thread, and checked the bike out. I was really impressed. It just felt like quality. No time to ride it however...

05 Roubaix Comp Double
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love my 05 Comp. Suppose to be one of the stronger carbon frames.
    Touch every 3rd person and you'll find an idiot.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Oddly enough, I was driving around with a business partner yesterday, and we passed by a bike shop.
    Wait! You have a business partner? Who is it, and how did you talk him/her into being a business partner?
    Lemme guess -- it's Rockerfeller Diego, right?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Wait! You have a business partner? Who is it, and how did you talk him/her into being a business partner?
    Lemme guess -- it's Rockerfeller Diego, right?
    Nah, just some Money Business I'm involved with...
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 09:54 AM.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LBS has an '05 Roubaix in my size (alloy, base model I think but not sure) for $1200...Nice ride but budget is tight if not nonexistent. I need a @#$%! job, dammit!

BTW, has anyone else here had trouble navigating the Specialized website lately?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya on the money thingy....and yes Specialized has had some website issues lately.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Cheese-do I spot a new crank and a new set of Zipp's on that thing?? What a machine you have there now!!!

I'm shopping for some 404's myself. Really nice upgrades!!
    Can't hide anything from you jppe

About the 404s - I was a bit skeptical about their durability, but they're tough and they ride nice!

Take care,

steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's decided. After testing lots of other bikes, I will order my Roubaix from the "good" LBS that treated me nice. I have this urge to put in major mileage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    It's decided. After testing lots of other bikes, I will order my Roubaix from the "good" LBS that treated me nice. I have this urge to put in major mileage.
    You won't regret it. Light, stable, comfortable and it looks great... what more could you ask for?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Oh, yeah... I've got about 6,500 miles on the old frame that was replaced and 1,700 on this one. The original frame was replaced because the bonding agent holding the bottom bracket gave way. Someone tried to take out the bottom bracket and was trying to turn the drive side the wrong was. Specialized said that this didn't matter. It should have held, but didn't. Specialized replaced with no hassle at all.
    This is really weird. I read your post last night and was riding this morning and EXACTLY the same thing happened to my Roubaix. The alloy (?) sleeve that holds the BB to the frame worked its way about an inch out of the nondrive side.
    Last edited by Velomancer; 07-02-06 at 06:45 PM.

My Bikes
    '05 Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 50 yrs. old, 6'4", and 200 lbs. I have a 2005 base model Roubaix ( 63 cm. alloy frame, carbon fork, carbon seatpost, carbon seat stays) with an Ultegra RD, and otherwise full 105 components (including brakes and a Hollowtech triple crankset). I've had my bike for 14 months, and have ridden around 1300 miles (short upstate New York riding season). Simply put..... I LOVE MY BIKE !!!
    I did a lot of research, but ultimately put my trust in the hands of an excellent LBS, where I was properly fitted (including my Specialized road shoes and Speedplay X-2 pedals & cleats).
    I recommend the Specialized Roubaix without hesitation, as long as you are properly fitted by a good LBS. Good luck, and happy riding !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode an Allez and a Giant OCR 2 today. Just goes to show you should never settle. Get what you really want, even if you have to wait for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by NOS88

Oh, yeah... I've got about 6,500 miles on the old frame that was replaced and 1,700 on this one. The original frame was replaced because the bonding agent holding the bottom bracket gave way. Someone tried to take out the bottom bracket and was trying to turn the drive side the wrong was. Specialized said that this didn't matter. It should have held, but didn't. Specialized replaced with no hassle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Velomancer
    This is really weird. I read your post last night and was riding this morning and EXACTLY the same thing happened to my Roubaix. The alloy (?) sleeve that holds the BB to the frame worked its way about an inch out of the nondrive side.
    Well I got a brand new S-Works frame... as NOS88 said "Specialized replaced with no hassle at all." and upgraded at no extra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12