Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone own a Specialized Roubaix?

I went to my LBS tonight and for the fourth time began perusing the road bikes. I initially thought about the lower end Specialized Allez, but the guy at the shop told me the Roubaix was more appropriate for doing longer distances such as centuries. Anyone here own a Roubaix and have any reports for me?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't answer your question, but I will say you are starting to sound like me. Careful -- indecision is a fickle master!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I went to my LBS tonight and for the fourth time began perusing the road bikes. I initially thought about the lower end Specialized Allez, but the guy at the shop told me the Roubaix was more appropriate for doing longer distances such as centuries. Anyone here own a Roubaix and have any reports for me?
    I can without hesitation say the Roubaix is one fine bike. I love mine. Single best investment I've made in years. I keep thinking about what I'd choose if I were to ever replace the bike, and I keep coming full circle back to the Roubaix. The ride is as great as some of the reports you've problably seen on it. I've had it since it was new a little over a year ago now. I have just shy of 6,000 miles on the frame.

What info are you looking for?

Here's mine, upgraded just a bit

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test rode a Roubaix. Very nice indeed. Too far out of my price range tho. I bought a Sequoia Elite instead. It was on sale and rode(rides) beautifully.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Specialized Roubaix Pro. I've done centuries, metric centuries and other long rides on it. I had the frame replaced under warranty this spring and was given a Trek Madone 5.2 as a loaner until they finished the work. I'll take my Roubaix any day of the week! It is surprisingly stiff up hills and remarkably comfortable for all day riding. The Trek Madone was a little tigher/quicker, very appropaiate if you're going to be racing shoulder to shoulder with 30 other riders. Although the Roubaix frame was ridden in the last two TDFs. The stock wheels aren't the fastest, but they've held up very nicely and I'm 200+ lbs. Your LBS dealer is correct, it is much more comfortable than the Allez, which I rode for two 30 mile rides before buying the Roubaix. I concur with Cheeseflavor, if I had to replace it, I'd look for another. Oh, yeah... I've got about 6,500 miles on the old frame that was replaced and 1,700 on this one. The original frame was replaced because the bonding agent holding the bottom bracket gave way. Someone tried to take out the bottom bracket and was trying to turn the drive side the wrong was. Specialized said that this didn't matter. It should have held, but didn't. Specialized replaced with no hassle at all.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden the Allez, but haven't had a chance to ride the Roubaix yet. They seem to never have my size frame when I stop by.
    Last edited by dauphin; 06-26-06 at 04:36 PM.

My Bikes
    05 Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a base model Roubaix & I love it. I haven't tried a century yet with it (maybe this fall), but I would not hesitate to use it. I regularly do 50 mile rides & it's very comfortable. I just put a Fizik Arione on it & my rear is much happier too! Take your LBS's advice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I keep getting great reports on this model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While new to this forum, I have both a Roubaix and a Sequoia. Both are extremely comfortable on long rides. The Sequia I use for touring because it is set up to take panniers and all the stuff needed on a self-contained trip. I have ridden over 80 miles a day on numerous occasions and it is extremely comfortable. My Roubaix , I use on local daily rides, is also comfortable but in a slightly different way, more compact and precise. I have ridden it over 50 miles a day and it is also extremely comfortable. The difference, in my opinion between them, can be summed up like this--the Sequoia is an extremely comfortable SUV with power steering and the Roubaix is a sportscar.

Brian
    Last edited by tigerdriver; 06-26-06 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has a Roubaix, and she loves it. We shopped around quite a bit (I'm always game for bike shopping), and the Roubaix rose to the top very quickly. Great ride, and a geometry that's aggressive enough that some people race it, but still relaxed enough to be comfy over the very long haul. She did 56 miles on hers a few days ago (she's still braggin' about it! ), and not a single complaint. Highly recommended.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    I can without hesitation say the Roubaix is one fine bike. I love mine. Single best investment I've made in years. I keep thinking about what I'd choose if I were to ever replace the bike, and I keep coming full circle back to the Roubaix. The ride is as great as some of the reports you've problably seen on it. I've had it since it was new a little over a year ago now. I have just shy of 6,000 miles on the frame.

What info are you looking for?

Here's mine, upgraded just a bit

Cheese-do I spot a new crank and a new set of Zipp's on that thing?? What a machine you have there now!!!

I'm shopping for some 404's myself. Really nice upgrades!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a two year old Roubaix Pro set up with a Full Ultegra drive train, over Bontrager Race X Lite wheels. It is a fantastic distance road bike. It really soaks up the road chatter better than any other bike I have found.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have rack and panniers with carbon seatstays? Is this a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdriver
    While new to this forum, I have both a Roubaix and a Sequoia. Both are extremely comfortable on long rides. The Sequia I use for touring because it is set up to take panniers and all the stuff needed on a self-contained trip. I have ridden over 80 miles a day on numerous occasions and it is extremely comfortable. My Roubaix , I use on local daily rides, is also comfortable but in a slightly different way, more compact and precise. I have ridden it over 50 miles a day and it is also extremely comfortable. The difference, in my opinion between them, can be summed up like this--the Sequoia is an extremely comfortable SUV with power steering and the Roubaix is a sportcar.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Sequoia has aluminum rear seat stays and the rack bolts right to the frame like a water cage. No problem with the rear panniers. I do not use front ones as my front fork is carbon. Everything fits just right in the rears and the bag on top of the rear rack. I do not put racks or panniers on my Roubaix. Sorry if there is any confusion.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I managed to find a Roubaix in my size at a LBS not too far from me. If it's within an hour drive, I consider it local. Hopefully sometime this evening I can go and give it try.

My Bikes
    2011 Surly LHT, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1990 Simoncini Super Professional
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned a Roubaix base model for 53 days and have put about 400 miles on it. I'm well pleased. I tried a Sequoia Elite, which was fine, but I preferred the Roubaix for about the same money. The only mod I've made so far was to change the original all-condition tires to Armadillos upon purchase, which probably stiffens the ride a bit. But it's been easy to take on 30+ and 40+ mile rides. I'm 53 and had not ridden a road bike for a few years, having given up my 70s model Motobecane for a hybrid in '03. I'm loving the 105 shifting, and the Avatar saddle works fine for me.
    Last edited by globie; 06-26-06 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's more good news, since I am almost 52 and already have an avatar saddle on my Sirrus! I look forward to checking it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have one, but a friend bought his about three months ago and says it's by far the best bike he's ever owned for "real cycling," which for him is long distance rides over moderate- to bad roads and lots of miles. He's about 6'3" and 200 pounds, a serious cyclist for 25 years, and he says it's the first bike he's had in a long time that he uses "just to go for a ride." Once in awhile he'll hop on it and jam around the block, just because he likes it so much. he's trying to talk me into getting one, but I have a couple of bikes I'm happy with and I don't think the Roubaix comes in my size.

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Roubaix triple comp (don't have the sweet Zipp 404's I see on Cheese's fine machine). The Roubaix is an outstanding bike, great for climbing, great for long distances. I can't say enough about it. The ride is very tight but smooth, all the pedal energy goes directly into the frame amd moves the bike forward., no flex at all. I've ridden Cannondales for 20 years, got the Roubaix last August and have over 3500 miles on it and have a tough time getting back on the Cannondale. You won't regret getting this bike at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So anyway....I didn't ride Sunday after the long ride on Saturday, so I decided to ride to work today. Legs felt great and I felt real confident on the bike despite the high temps. On the way in, I'm thinking I will go and test ride the Roubaix tonight. Later in the evening I get to the bike shop that has two in my size about fifteen minutes before they closed. I really didn't expect them to be happy about someone wanting to take a test ride and I had decided not to ask being as it was so late. The disappointing thing was the way I was treated when I went in the door. One employee looked at me like I was speaking Greek when I asked where the Specialized Roubaix was located. He didn't have a clue so he asked the older fellow behind the counter. He replied, "yeah..there over there...". I walked over and closely examined both bikes, pulling them out of their racks, lifting them, practically begging for someone to ask me if I needed any assistance. Nada. Nothing. Ok, so the most I have ever spent on a bike so far is $549.00. I think that whether you are looking at a $500.00 bike, a $1200.00 bike, or a $12.00 pair of socks, then someone might offer to treat you as a customer who might make a purchase. Anyway, they totally ignored me. On the way out I called the shop where I bought my Sirrus and explained that I had stopped at the other shop to test ride my size in the Roubaix since his shop didn't have one. I also told him that I had bought two other bikes from him and that as soon as I could decide if I wanted to purchase the Roubaix, that I would be ordering it from him! As a small business owner, I am very sensitive to the quality of customer service that I receive. So, I at least got to admire the bike I like. Hopefully I will enjoy riding it soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I think that whether you are looking at a $500.00 bike, a $1200.00 bike, or a $12.00 pair of socks, then someone might offer to treat you as a customer who might make a purchase.
    This is so universally the case, it makes me wonder how shops can stay open. I don't even feel the least bit guilty about buying through the internet any more, because every time I stop myself and say, "I should go over the my LBS," they treat me like crap.
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 06-26-06 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    This is so universally the case, it makes me wonder how shops can stay open. I don't even feel the least bit guilty about buying through the internet any more, because everytime I stop myself and say, "I should go over the my LBS," they treat me like crap.
    Big Paulie, I just luv it when you talk your righteous indignation trash! You make me swoooooon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Didi Diego
    Big Paulie, I just luv it when you talk your righteous indignation trash! You make me swoooooon!
    It's the charm I have over women...even real ones!

Me, right after the war...
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 10:54 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dauphin: Yes, when given a choice, always buy from the shop that gives you the best service. Sorry you didn't get to test ride one. Once you've determined that it's the bike for you (and I'd be very surprised if you don't) then get your favorite dealer to order it. Might even consider sending a post card to the other dealer telling him or her why they lost the sale. Then again, that would likely being wasting energy you could better spend on pumping up your new tires and riding!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a 2005 Elite, all carbon, etc. The closeout price was great, but still much more than I dreamed I would pay for a bike. I chose it based on the reviews that talked about comfort. I am not a racer or anything more than a fitness rider, so it probably is more bike than I need, but I can ride 40 miles and do that weekly. Not sure if a lesser bike would have allowed me to ride it as much. I find the stock seat and all the components to be fine, too. The older 2005 have a higher grade of components than the 2006, so check around, you may find a really great buy.
    2006 Raleigh Passage 5.0 Hybrid (two - one for wife)
    2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast