User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating the kids

I can't help it, I love beating kids. On the bike, I mean. Despite being 61 years old, I pass way more cyclists than pass me. When I see a "mark" up ahead, I can't help but push a little harder and pass him (or her). When I am feeling really nasty I pull out my water bottle and cruise by while drinking.

Today I did a 42 km ride in 1 hr, 54 min, which is pretty typical. I pulled out ahead of a "kid", a guy in his 20s, at a traffic light, and sensed him behind me as we followed city streets until we could get back on the valley bike trail. I thought I had probably lost him but a few km up the trail he passed me. Not to panic, there is a steep hill ahead and I can undoubtedly get him there. Sure enough, he is pedalling like crazy up the hill in too high a gear, and as he fades I breeze past him just before the crest. Of course I accelerate way faster down hill than he, with my rapid-fire "brifters", and my Cannondale touring bike is superior to his MTB.

Am I being immature? Should I grow up and act my age?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are acting your age Mr Brown!! I've found the competitiveness while pedaling is not age specific! Ride on........and fast!!
    Last edited by jppe; 06-24-06 at 07:11 PM.

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At 14 mph or 21kmh average, they are pretty slow kids. Where were they in their ride when you blew by them with your water bottle in hand?

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the vision of you taking a drink while passing. If I ever get to pass someone, I'll have to give that a try.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgregory57
    I love the vision of you taking a drink while passing. If I ever get to pass someone, I'll have to give that a try.
    Come ride with me. We can take turns passing each other.

Ken Brown - of course you should take delight in passing someone younger, no matter what their conditioning. We have less and less to take delight in, so we have to take delight when and where we can get it!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb
    At 14 mph or 21kmh average, they are pretty slow kids. Where were they in their ride when you blew by them with your water bottle in hand?
    Ouch, that hurts. I thought I was fast, never considered that they are slow.

This is just a Saturday ride; there are serious cyclists, casual cyclists, some going short distances, others doing serious rides. When I was "competing" my speeds were more like 28 - 30 km/h, at other times I was going slower or dealing with city streets and traffic lights.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never bothered "one-upping" the youngsters unless they make a show of passing me. If they want to show off, I'll make them pay for it! They may still pass me a second time, but they'll work for the privilege...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    I've never bothered "one-upping" the youngsters unless they make a show of passing me. If they want to show off, I'll make them pay for it! They may still pass me a second time, but they'll work for the privilege...
    +1 for the spirit of this post. I don't like to one up any rider unless they've made a point of trying to make me look bad or been disrespectful. While no longer a youngster, I still remember what it was like to be one.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to Go KB, highlite of my day was a ride in the country. Passed 4 young'en's 2 girls, 2 guys, all on new bikes, flashy outfits, one on a recumbent- going UPHILL!!!! (steep but only about 200 yards) I was doing 18mph (HR hit 151). Heard one person say 'D***' were did he come from? ' BTW- I did holler 'on the left' I held speed till I got out of sight and then caught my breath.

I love It!!!!!!!!!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Brown
    When I am feeling really nasty I pull out my water bottle and cruise by while drinking.
    In recumbent circles, that's known as a "poseur pass." Namely, you pull off the pass while acting as relaxed as possible. This may mean taking a drink, whistling, a nonchalant friendly greeting, etc, to make it look like you're barely working while zooming past your prey. There's plenty of time to die later, around the next bend where they can't see you!

On rides I do, 14 mph wouldn't pass very many bikes. But competition is relative. Near the end of a recent metric century, I passed one competitive type who latched on for a minute at 28mph until I dropped him on the next hill. Believe it or not, there are some that would scoff at those speeds, too. The challenge is to graduate to more worthy prey as time progresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyb
    I'll agree w/ crazyb on this one, don't let 14mph go to your head. It's can be great fun to pass people, but if you want to race join a master's group for comparison or try the senior olympics.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no strong rider, and there are precious few people to ride with around here. In the last year I have seen two riders on my treks out and about the north Texas countryside.

One of those riders was a 20ish mountain biker who claimed to be from the mountains in New Mexico, and said he was working here in town for a couple of weeks. He caught up with me as I was heading out of town one afternoon. He was on a Kona MTB and I was on my old 30+ pound Schwinn touring bike with racks and fenders. He kept on and on about how these weren't really "hills" at all to him....right up until I said "well, see you later, I'm going to the next town and back"....and I spun away from him.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dgregory57
    One of my favorite things to do while picking on a youngster is to try and strike up a conversation as I'm passing them and they're out of breath. Of course, I'm dying too, but they don't know that

Then there are the ones that can whoop my behind at will...

Steve

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch out!! The ones that get me are the neighbours kids that I take out for the occasional ride. There is a 12 year old on a 24" wheel, full suspension "Wallmart" type bike that I have to be carefull of. He may not have a high top speed but he can keep 12mph up good slopes for miles. I have to work to stay with him. Then there is the Casual Rider that comes out with us. Only one speed and he does not know how to use the gears, so it is middle ring everywhere- including the 15% offroad trails we take him on. Last time we took him on a ride- he got to the top of the 15% hill with us, and then asked us to sort his brakes out as they were rubbing a bit. Wasn't the brakes. He only had 10psi in the tyres.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

LMCM wannabe
    My Bikes
    Peugot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know the saying about "old age and treachery defeating youth and vigour every time". Well it's true. On a 50km blast the best I can hope for is to keep the young guns honest, just so they have to put some effort into the win. Now, a 600km randonee is a different story - you don't get to finish on strength alone - half the effort is ride management and planning, and that's where us over 50's level the playing field somewhat!!!

It's still fun to try though. A few weeks ago on a training ride I broke away from the bunch to chase down a youngster who blasted past us down a big hill. He had about a half a km lead by the time I had convinced myself that I needed to max out my HR on this particular ride. Took about 5km to catch him. I sneaked up to his wheel and stayed for a short distance to catch my breath, then casual as could be said "good morning". Well, it was like he had been shot. He must not have realised I was there - he swung his head around, took one look at the oldie on his wheel, jumped out of the saddle and sprinted. I just kept the pressure on and he blew up about 500m up the road. For the next 15km I could not close the gap and neither could he extend it, but it was a bucket full of fun to watch him looking back over his shoulder every hundred metres. Keep 'em honest, that's what I say!!!
    "Live today as if it is your last, plan for tomorrow as if you will live forever"