Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going for 64 this weekend

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-21-06, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sometime in the next couple of days (hopefully Saturday) I hope to ride the entire length of the Jedediah Smith Memorial Bike Trail (know to most as the American River Bike Trail or Parkway) which is 64 miles round trip. I am sure some of you are familiar with this trail, but in case you aren't here are a couple of links that show a map and some actual photographs taken along the trail. This is my first long ride in over two years. I hope to give a good report once I finish it!

https://www.saccycle.com/bikewaymaps/map6.htm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pcdshots/sets/1028302/
Old 06-21-06, 12:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
First long ride for a while but you can do it. Just remember to enjoy the scenery and Keep drinking. Just got a road bike and did a 56 miler last weekend. No problems at all- except for the other riders- and it was a warm day. Looking at the pics of the trail- only one thing is missing so take the camera for the Cafe stop.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-21-06, 02:01 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like a great ride. Just remember, keep hydrated and have fun!
Old 06-21-06, 04:08 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500 OCLV, Trek Fuel EX 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well the local weather is really heating up this week. It may be downright Phoenix-like in ol "River City" (Sacramento) for at least the next seven days. I suggest that you start early and maybe have someone on standby with a sag wagon just in case you run into trouble. It is a great ride, by the way!
Old 06-21-06, 04:28 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Have fun. I'd be tempted to join you -- my wife has to be in Sac that day anyway -- but I have a ride up here in Quincy (about 3 hours away) that I've paid for and then I have to be in Northstar that evening. It may be 108 while you're riding. Take it easy and drink drink drink. I've done stretches of the the trail, but never the whole thing. Maybe next time.
Old 06-21-06, 04:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The map shows everything but pie stops! Good Luck
Old 06-21-06, 06:53 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TaosWoman
The map shows everything but pie stops! Good Luck
There must be pie! How's that wind in New Mexico? (on my way out to ride in today's 93 degree evening)
Old 06-22-06, 01:47 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
....so the weather calls for temps in the low 100's through the weekend. I've been riding in low 90's most of this week. I think if I get a real early start and drink lots of water I should be fine. Perhaps the temps will cut down on the traffic!
Old 06-22-06, 07:51 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Eager to hear the report. Have a great ride.
Old 06-23-06, 03:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
99 degrees at 2:16pm. Tomorrow will be a scorcher for sure. Still looking forward to it though!
Old 06-23-06, 10:07 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Forecast high for Sacramento is 107 tomorrow. I will take some photos of the ride along the trail.
Old 06-24-06, 05:10 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That is hot!! Good luck!
Old 06-25-06, 01:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, so I get up this morning and remember that I have to teach a Spinning class. Afterward, I stop off and pick up some sunscreen and start thinking about how hot it will be riding the American River Bike trail. From Beal's Point in Folsom, CA to Old Sacramento is about 32 miles, so I think I will do the roundtrip to hit 64 miles. The more I thought about it, the more I felt like doing more, so I decided to ride from my office to Folsom which is approximately 22 miles. I figured that would put me over 100 if I made it back ok. About 11:45am off I went! Fortunately there are many places to refill water bottles along the way. Fortunately as well the forecasted high of 107 never materialized...it only got up to 100. I gotta tell you, about 30 miles in, the bottom of my right foot started to get really hot. For some reason, the left wasn't as bad. This necesitated a short stop about every ten miles thereafter. I also started experiencing quite a bit of numbness in my hands about the same time. That is something I experienced before. Thank goodness for the new Pearl Izumi Attack shorts. Gotta say they were worth every penny! The last twenty miles were the most uncomfortable. Had it not been for the numbness and the hot foot, I think I could have riden another 50 miles no problem. Perhaps those annoyances are part of being 51 years old. Nevertheless, it was a great day and the first time I have ever ridden 100 miles in a day! If you would like to see some of the photographs of the ride, go to the link listed here.

https://www.imagestation.com/members/dauphin87
Old 06-25-06, 05:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
WOW!

Congratulations are surely in order!

Nice pics - it doesn't LOOK hot!
Old 06-25-06, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A slice of pecan pie is in order! Don't know about that sweet rice & ice cream concoction!
Great job, congrats
Old 06-25-06, 11:03 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic report, great ride and thanks for the pics! Especially happy to see a flatbar do 100 miles!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-25-06, 11:12 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Very, very nice ride. To do that ride unsupported, solo and in the heat is tremendous.

Your experiences the last 20 miles is so typical for folks that are fairly new to doing the longer distances. You quickly find areas were some minor tweaking is needed to get slightly better comfort. On the feet, I'm wondering if one foot is slightly larger than the other and there a little shoe size difference there. Also, do the shoes you're wearing have ventilation through the soles by chance?

Thanks for sharing the pics as well. That looks like a really nice trail others will have to try out one day.
Old 06-25-06, 11:42 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
Very, very nice ride. To do that ride unsupported, solo and in the heat is tremendous.

Your experiences the last 20 miles is so typical for folks that are fairly new to doing the longer distances. You quickly find areas were some minor tweaking is needed to get slightly better comfort. On the feet, I'm wondering if one foot is slightly larger than the other and there a little shoe size difference there. Also, do the shoes you're wearing have ventilation through the soles by chance?

Thanks for sharing the pics as well. That looks like a really nice trail others will have to try out one day.
Never thought about the shoe size being different. Back in the day before going to cycling shoes, I never got hot feet. My first pair of cycling shoes were Cannondales and they were really hot. My current shoes are Specialized Sonoma's that are more comfortable but still can get hot. As the day goes on today, I'm noticing some residual numbness on that right foot, especially the middle toes and numbness in the hands, primarily in the ring finger areas.