Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is Blackberry and his Pie Charts?

Where has the boy gone? Did he disappear into a pie in Indiana? Where is the much promised report from his post of 6/16?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have fell in head first and never looked back! I feel a poll coming guessing what pie Blackberry consumed the most of.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PIE REPORT. READ IT AND WEEP

DAY ONE: No pie en route.

DAY TWO: It started with a sense of promise at an old-school diner. The placemat read, "Our food is so good, you'll think we stole your mom." A sign on the wall said, "Don't complain about the coffee. You too may be old and weak one day." As I watched waitresses hauling vast platters of meat and potatoes from kitchen to table, I thought surely excellent pie was right around the corner. But when I inquired if the pie was homemade, I was told, "No we buy it frozen from our supplier. But it's very good." Frozen pie, indeed. I turned it down, thinking I'd find better that day. But I did not. The placemats were right. Frozen pie was just the way mom made it.

DAY THREE: Found what may be the worst piece of homemade pie in the history of North America. The crust was thin and flat and tasted like cardboard. The blueberry filling was gluey sugary goo. I drowned my sorrows in a cup coffee may have been laced with battery acid.

DAY FOUR: The only pie I found was a peanut butter and jelly dessert pizza at an East of Chicago chain restaurant. Don’t even ask.

DAY FIVE: Got caught in a near tornado. From the relative safety of a barn, I watched a trampoline fly high above the highway and disappear into a distant cornfield. Also saw the storm rip the aluminum siding off a nearby farmhouse. I Forgot about pie, but I could have used another pair of shorts.

DAY SIX: As I rolled up to a coffee shop famed for its baked goods, I thought: “Pie at last. Pie at last. Thank Gold almighty, pie at last.” But all 239 other riders had thought the same thing and beat me to it. It was 10:00 a.m. and there wasn’t a slice of pie within miles of the shop. That’s what I get for lollygagging.

DAY SEVEN: Found a bakery with row after row of luscious-looking fruit pies. Alas, they would not sell by the slice. Not a good situation for a man on a bicycle. I was bereft.

DAY EIGHT: Visited my mom near Ft. Wayne. Before driving me to the airport, she offered to get a Mrs. Smith's pie out of the freezer. I wasn’t in the mood.
    Last edited by Blackberry; 06-26-06 at 05:59 AM.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Peanut butter and jelly pizza? Now that's pretty sad. Apparently there is no pie in Indiana. Hope the ride was otherwise enjoyable.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ride was fantastic otherwise. I intend to go back next year and renew my quest.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blackberry: My sympathies. I, on the other hand, was treated to a visit with my mother who had three kinds of pie, of which I sampled two... a rhubarb pie that was just the perfect balance of sweet/tart, and a cherry pie. Her crusts are flaky, light, and to die for.... I didn't get to ride while visiting her, but it's a trade I'll gladly make. Oh, yeah and there was not a tornado anywhere in sight. Better luck on you next quest.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Blackberry: My sympathies. I, on the other hand, was treated to a visit with my mother who had three kinds of pie, of which I sampled two... a rhubarb pie that was just the perfect balance of sweet/tart, and a cherry pie. Her crusts are flaky, light, and to die for.... I didn't get to ride while visiting her, but it's a trade I'll gladly make. Oh, yeah and there was not a tornado anywhere in sight. Better luck on you next quest.
    Don't know if you have it over there but have a Desert called Crumble. Very easy to make -so the wife keeps telling me- and it has to be rhubarb crumble with plenty of Custard on it- Bit difficult to take on a ride as the Custard slops over the back wheel from the fanny pack but definitely an end of ride when home treat. Then there is the other great Rhubarb treat and that is Rhubarb Jam. (Jelly I think you call it). Got the taste for it in France and it is not one of the things the wife has much success with- Strawberry or blackberry and apple but even she has to admit that Rhubarb jam is better when someone else makes it.

Hungry now so time to raid the fridge for a slice of apple Pie-(Home made of course)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Where has the boy gone? Did he disappear into a pie in Indiana? Where is the much promised report from his post of 6/16?
    Little Jack Horner
    Sat in a corner,
    Eating a Christmas pie;
    He put in his thumb,
    And pulled out a plum,
    And cried "What a good boy am I!"

Little Blackberry
    rode on his cycle
    searching for homemade pie.
    He pedaled and pedaled,
    but he had to settle
    for PB & J pizza pie.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really hate the search for pie ended up like it did but look at this way....it just gives more purpose for next year.

Your description of the storm around the barn was incredible. And the flying trampoline.......I completely understand the shorts thing....