Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skinny tyre riding

I know I have only just got the thing but I surprised myself yesterday. Did a road ride with a couple of Mountain bikers so I took the road bike- One of these mountain bikers is fit and he does not like to be beat. He is always the first one up the hills and the one that puts on a bit too much pace for comfort on the flat to lose everyone else. This is one fit rider and the saving grace is that he is only a 40 mile rider, before he blows.
    Back to yesterday-Did the road ride on one of our short routes and it is fairly flat. Found out that The Skinny tyres sink in Beach gravel around the harbour, but Did not expect anything else. Then we started on the way back and it is a gradual uphill rise for the 14 miles home. I set the pace at 16mph and towed the other two along very comfortable- They were on knobblies remember. Then we started on the long drag and the fit rider decided to take the lead- He raised the speed from 16 to 20mph and we lost the 3 rd rider which annoyed me a bit as I like to ride with others and not slaughter them. Still I stayed with him for 2 miles until the slope became a hill. That road bike of mine did not slow down so pushed the lead rider until he slowed. No problem- just pull past him and keep the speed up. Got to the top and stopped to wait for the group to collect. The fit rider just rode past- but this is the point that we always collect. I waited for the 3rd rider and we carried on. That long drag at 20mph- I had to push but it was easy. then the final hill and OK out of the saddle but easy again.

Back to the reason for doing this ride yesterday- I felt hungry so called into our favourite cafe on the seafront for a couple of Buns. I know I have posted this picture before but it is well woth showing again.

These road bikes do go fast on the roads and they do go up hills at sensible speeds. I now realise why I struggle to stay with road bikes on the metric and 100 mile rides towards the end. Now I know a mountain bike is for rough graound and road bikes for roads- but I never realised how much difference there is in the two bikes types. Then there is the bit about road bikes not going off road. the others were on mountain bikes so we took a couple of miles on a smoothish trail. Not hardpack- just loose soil through a wooded area. The road bike did reasonably well- I did not chance it on the downhills as there were a few lumps and jumps on this trail but uphill it worked and on the flat it held its own- even though I was looking for the smooth bits.

So next time you go out with the mountain bikers on the road rides- Don't laugh at how slow they are- They are slow but the effort required to get them working well on the road is a lot more than you think it should be. And next time I get overtaken by a cyclocross rider on my favourite offroad hill- I will not feel so bad. They will work efficiently offroad - if the tyres are suitable and the wheels strong enough, But I think I will still get them on the downhill with my nice fat Knobblies.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yummy.

Oh, bikes, darn. It is amazing the different experiences you get with different bikes and the same rider.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had only a hybrid bike until last year (which I still ride when rain threatens, or on a family ride), but got a road bike last May. Yeah the difference is more than noticeable, it's astonishing. Even more so if I get out there in the wind, where the more upright position on the hybrid seems to just stop me in my tracks when a gust of wind hits.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam: You're sounding more and more like a roadie.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report stapfam. It seems you're getting to like that roadbike!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    Nice report stapfam. It seems you're getting to like that roadbike!
    Let him make friends with a couple of dedicated roadies and he'll be a convert.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

Kreuzotter calculator will tell you what you are experiencing. All things being equal, there is a 5-10% difference depending what tire is used. (Assuming same bike) I have used the same bike on the same track:
    700 x 25 (slick), 700 x 28 (slick), 700 x 38 (threaded but no knobs). About 10 % range in work required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam,

As a former kart racer myself (just local club racing), I'm certain that the road racer in you will appreciate road cycling. You may in fact become a complete convert!

My Bikes
    all diamond frames
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pies look outstanding. That place would be on my weekly ride-- maybe my daily?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long do you guys think it will be before he starts shaving his legs?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    How long do you guys think it will be before he starts shaving his legs?
    I heard he was shopping for new razors already.

Stapfam: You really have opened a new door. Don't let our kidding deter you from becoming a full fledged multi-surface rider. Hey, is this what they mean by cross training... riding dirt and road?
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    I heard he was shopping for new razors already.

Stapfam: You really have opened a new door. Don't let our kidding deter you from becoming a full fledged multi-surface rider. Hey, is this what they mean by cross training... riding dirt and road?
    The old grey beard hasn't been off since I left the Marines in 66 and the cut-throat must still be in the back of a drawer somewhere. (Did once for a charity event and it hurt so much never again) As to road racing- forget it- Tarmac hurts. Now cyclocross- Hmmmmm.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    As to road racing- forget it- Tarmac hurts.
    Hurts, why? It shouldn't. Maybe it's just training similar but slightly different muscles.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    Hurts, why? It shouldn't. Maybe it's just training similar but slightly different muscles.
    I have a habit of falling off.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step; I always thought British cuisine was an oxymoron...and I have been to your fair Isle thrice. But those pies look amazing .

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck5.2_in_CA
    Step; I always thought British cuisine was an oxymoron...and I have been to your fair Isle thrice. But those pies look amazing .
    Since we tried to copy the "American" fast food- British cuisine is not that good- In restaurants. Now Home cooking is a different matter. The cafe I go to for the Pies is Fuscardi's- Italian name and owners but they can't do an english breakfast.

Spike Milligan

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an amazing difference between road and off road bikes and trails. You'll enjoy a century on the road bike.
    I bought a used Giant hardtail and put some fornt shocks on it. I'm riding the C&O this September & training now. Today I did a 14 mile trip to Harpers ferry on the canal at speeds of 11 - 14mph. Had some cherry pie and java, then returned.
    Take that same MTB on the WO&D 12 miles to work and it's torture 60 minutes compared to 40 on the road bike. But take the road bike in the mud and gravel on the C&O and everything shakes loose.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page