Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Impulse Upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impulse Upgrade

Three months ago, I got back into cycling after a hiatus of close 10 years. Instead of riding my old road bike, I went out and purchased a Giant OCR Composite 3. The bike rides beautifully. Carbon is so much easier on my 59 year old body than any of the aluminum bikes or my old steel frame (Columbus SL/Dura Ace) road bike. My trade off was componentry. The OCR C3 has Shimano 105, SRAM Truvativ, and some no name components on it. I know that this is low/middle level componentry which may be a little heavier than the higher level components - but it all works just fine.

Last week I was surfing ebay and found some very attractive pricing on Dura Ace components. I ordered a new rear derailleur, cassette, crankset and bottom brackets. All 9 speed (as is my current componentry) but priced way below the online dealers and my LBSs discount prices. But - it is Dura Ace.

As a senior citizen, I guess it is OK to do stuff like this. I guess that a new wheelset to replace the old XERO XSR3s is next in line.

In the meantime, I am very much looking forward to riding my new Dura Ace bike. I hope that I notice some difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgkaplan
    I hope that I notice some difference.
    So what if you don't? You got the stuff that makes your bike seem special to you, and you'll ride it all the more as a result. Besides, once your'e over 50, if you don't do it now, when are you gonna do it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...agrees with Big Paulie

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, +1 for Big Paulie's comment. Go out and enjoy it. If I could find Dura Ace, at a really good price, I'd do the same thing too.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Waterford, Orbea, Giant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently upgraded my Ultegra 9 speed to Dura-Ace 10 speed. Hey, I REALLY wanted that extra gear Anyways, the D-A is a joy to ride. Nothing was really wrong with the Ultegra (other than I just wore it out) but the D-A has a completely different feel. It is hard to describe, they refer to "crispness" etc. It's much the same as the way a door on a high end car closes...with a very satisfying click and no ringing or rattling. I feel the D-A is well worth the extra cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    So what if you don't? You got the stuff that makes your bike seem special to you, and you'll ride it all the more as a result. Besides, once your'e over 50, if you don't do it now, when are you gonna do it?

I'm with Paulie on this one--I'm 61, and I've ridden a buttload of cheap bikes and spent a lot of vacations sleeping in tents while I was raising my kids and sending them to school and doing all the things a husband and father is supposed to do. I don't regret any of it. But three years ago a Rivendell Atlantis caught my eye, and I fretted over it for about six months (I had the money, but it was a lot to spend on a bike when I already HAD three bikes...). My wife and one of her friends finally talked me into it with just that argument: At 58, which I was at the time, you expect that you have 12 or 15 years left, but you don't KNOW you do. If you don't get what you want now, when are you likely to do it?
    I bought the bike, set it up the way I wanted it (spending more than I've put into any three bikes I've ever owned, even though I did most of the work myself), and I've never been sorry for one second.
    If buying DA means your kids don't eat, then you shouldn't do it. If it means you have to choose between the Dura Ace and a couple of days in a hotel at the beach, it's nobody's business but yours. Enjoy it.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your upgrades to Dura Ace at the price you got is very wise. I've recently done the same thing (some parts were slightly used) and while the difference in performance is not extreme, I think it is noticeable. The shifting, cranking, braking, etc is just a little nicer. I enjoy the benefits of the slightly lower weight as well. If you're going to spend 5-6 hours on a bike, climb mountains, ride 5000-10000 miles a year and push yourself to the limits, why limit yourself????

You certainly get my vote!!

By the way, I picked up another interesting tidbit that is sure to spark debate but it is around chains, one of my local buds who is really on top of the equipment swears by using Campy chains on Shimano/DuraAce components. He has lots of experience that would indicate that the Campy chains last longer and the pins are easier to use. He sells all types of equipment and that is what he rides........When my next SRAM chain wears out I'll probably give it a try.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dura Ace upgrade makes perfect sense if that is what you want. I'd do it too. However, I bet the wheel upgrade "feels" like it matters more. Have fun. What are we going to do with the money of we don't spend it on bike stuff? I guess we could give it to the Gates Foundation.
    Just Peddlin' Around

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I put an XTR rear mech on the tandem. Possibly a bit better feel to the XT that was fitted before but the big difference was when I came to overhaul the thing. Rear mech is one of those items I change each year. There is always a bit of wear in it and this year I was all prepared with a new XT mech to put on. Took it back for a refund as the XTR had absolutely no wear in the pivots at all. XTR or Dure ace may not be worth the money- unless you get a special deal on it- but it is definitely better quality gear.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    I guess we could give it to the Gates Foundation.
    Send all monies to our San Diego representative...make all checks out to either "Gary" or "cash."
    Last edited by Gates Diego; 06-27-06 at 06:31 PM.

My Bikes
    Kona Unit single-speed Frankenbike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Last year I put an XTR rear mech on the tandem...the XTR had absolutely no wear in the pivots at all. XTR...is definitely better quality gear.
    I adore my XTR "low normal" or "rapid-rise" rear derailleur! That puppy works GREAT!!

My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best part of D-A is the shifters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the shifters noticably better than the 105 shifters. I can get a set of used Dura Ace 9 speed shifters - in very good condition - for $150. New ones are about $300 for the 9 speeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    . If you're going to push yourself to the limits, why limit yourself????
    jppe.........you should write copy for bike adverts!!

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gates Diego
    Send all monies to our San Diego representative...make all checks out to either "Gary" or "cash."
    Speaking of San Diego... It seems that he is the only Diego who hasn't showed up in the forums...
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    jppe.........you should write copy for bike adverts!!

Hey, if it would pay some college tuitions and I could work from the saddle I'm game!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgkaplan
    Are the shifters noticably better than the 105 shifters. I can get a set of used Dura Ace 9 speed shifters - in very good condition - for $150. New ones are about $300 for the 9 speeds

Just my opinion but there is certainly a subtle difference. It's even more noticeable when combining the shifters with other Duraace components. I was especially surprised at the brakes of all things....

My rationale was that the shifters are the one piece of equipment (other than saddle???) that you use the most so why not upgrade there first......

By the way I just bought some 9 speed shifters and if the used ones you're refering to are indeed in really good shape $150 is not a bad price. I just bought some 9 speed stuff on eBay and $150 is not a bad deal at all. Shifters do wear out but if you get at least 1/2 the life of a new pair with the used ones you're ahead of the game.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    My rationale was that the shifters are the one piece of equipment (other than saddle???) that you use the most so why not upgrade there first......
    Hmm! My wheels are ALWAYS turning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you are done with this (if ever) you are going to have a real nice bike that is 'yours'. A guy who understands how nice good equipment can be. I like it. bk