User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on HRM Inquiry

Thanks for all the input to my question in the other thread. I ended up picking up a Garmin Forerunner 301 HRM/GPS. So far, so good. It's really a cool little device. After a ride I down load the info into my laptop and it uses it's Training Center software to analyze the ride. It can put a whole bunch of different data on charts and in tables. For example, chart your HR again'st speed or distance or elevation. It also tells you how much of your ride you spent in the different zones both in time and percentage. I have found that I spend most of my hilly rides in zones 3 and 4 with an occasional short stint in zone 5.

The other feature I like is it gives you total time, moving time, and rest time. For example, last night I did a 7-mile course in 38.xx minutes with 3.xx minutes of rest time.

It also draws a map of your ride and works in conjunction with motionbased.com if you want even more data. It can also be set up so you can ride with a virtual training partner. I named mine Bambi!

I have found out a couple interesting things so far. One is that the big hill coming home is a 12-15% grade for almost a mile. The other is that no matter how hard I try, my legs give out before my HR gets to max. Whatever that means?

The only complaint I have so far is that under dense tree cover it sometimes loses satellite communications for some period. When it picks it up again and you are .5 mile further it calculates your speed at like 250mph for that .5 miles. However, it seems to not calc those intermittent peaks into the average.

I had my eye on the Garmin Edge 350 which is a newer product with more features and a stronger receiver but could not justify the $350. I guess I'm just cheap Oh wait, that's a different thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like what I am looking for. How do you wear it? Is there a chest strap? Is it mounted on your bike?

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try SportTracks from zonefivesoftware. It has a lot of nice features that TC does not have and is donorware. Another cool place is MotionBased they have some really good garmin forums, the subscription is somewhat pricey but you can do a few things without it.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dauphin,

You can wear it on your wrist or use the handlebar braket (costs about $12.00 extra). It's a little bulky on the wrist, I use the bracket. It does have a chest strap which I thought would be irritating but I never really even notice it.

stonecrd - Thanks for the tips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like mine but the HRM goes whaco near powerlines. I've learned to _not_ look at my wrist and read the data later so I've minimized a distraction. I'll occasionally peek for HR but speed can come later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope,
    Do you mind me asking what you paid for the unit? I see it on sale at campmor for 199.96.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dauphin,

Got mine at REI for that price..