Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What constitutes hot?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What constitutes hot?

Old 06-23-06, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
What constitutes hot?

I just got back from a 20 miler. It was tough. My lunch was sprayed along the side othe rode at about the 14 mile mark, and by mile 16 I was only able to muster a 14mph pace. When I got home, I all but fell off the bike, because I didn't have the strength to completely lift my leg over the top tube. I had plenty of water, was dressed appropriately, and have ridden in weather that was hotter. BUT.... today felt hotter than I can ever remember. The temperature was only 95 and the humidity about 90%... typical summer weather for the Philadelphia area. I think what made it feel so hot was that the entire ride was in direct mid-day sun and along a blacktop road that was hot enough to fry eggs. The combination of all of these factors made today feel like the most heat intensive ride I've ever been on.

It was probably a mistake to ride with the combination of conditions I just described. I still don't feel all that well. Next time, I'll find some shade and/or wait until later in the day. So, what combination of things makes it too hot for you to ride?

Last edited by NOS88; 06-25-06 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-23-06, 12:40 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I do pretty good until I hear the blacktop "pop". Once that happens I'm about 10 minutes to fully cooked and the only thing that really helps is to get into the air conditioning until my core temperature drops back to normal.
Old 06-23-06, 12:41 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow what you just described would send me into a tizzy - I wouldn't even think of riding outdoors when it's that hot and humid.

I whine and complain if the temp gets above 85 and if humid, I'm going to the movies!!!! Here in So Cal we are just starting to see warm temperates but it's still cool in the mornings and a nice breeze comes up in the evening and... and big and, I can choose to ride along the ocean, that really cool things down. In August and September we will get temps around 90, but usually it's drier here, 30 - 40 % humidity. When its that hot I generally stay along the ocean.
Old 06-23-06, 12:50 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going out midday in that weather is probably not a good thing. This time of year I either ride at 7:00a; 80F and 90% RH or after 6:00p; 95F and 45% RH. I can take the heat and I can handle a bit of humidity but if you have both at the same time with no shade on your course it is going bake you like Betty Crocker

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-23-06, 01:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
96 F today in big BR with 90 to 100% humidity (ie before or after the afternoon convective thundershower). Normal cycling weather. How you ride in this is that you GRADUALLY acclimate to it over about two weeks. If you just go out and hammer, you get heat stress or heat stroke pronto. I've worked outside in this all my life - it doesn't get any more fun, but you do become accustomed to the heat. If you take that two week period to build up your tolerance, you just don't notice anymore.
Old 06-23-06, 01:30 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remeber a phrase about "mad dogs and Englishmen". I think it applies

Mad Dogs and Englishmen
(Noel Coward)

In tropical climes there are certain times of day
When all the citizens retire,
to tear their clothes off and perspire.
It's one of those rules that the biggest fools obey,
Because the sun is much too sultry and one must avoid
its ultry-violet ray --
Papalaka-papalaka-papalaka-boo. (Repeat)
Digariga-digariga-digariga-doo. (Repeat)
The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, absolutely nuts --

Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
The Japanese don't care to, the Chinese wouldn't dare to,
Hindus and Argentines sleep firmly from twelve to one,
But Englishmen detest a siesta,
In the Philippines there are lovely screens,
to protect you from the glare,
In the Malay states there are hats like plates,
which the Britishers won't wear,
At twelve noon the natives swoon, and
no further work is done -
But Mad Dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.
Old 06-23-06, 02:49 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NOS88
I just got back from a 20 miler. It was tough. It was probably a mistake to ride with the combination of conditions I just described. I still don't feel all that well. So, what combination of things makes it too hot for you to ride?
Well, as a kid, I rode in the afternoons all summer long around Tampa and St. Petersburg. As an adult, I commuted 9 miles in up to 120 degree desert heat. So I know it can be done.

I didn't hear the words, "drank a lot of water" or "ate fruit" or "rested in the shade" in your message.

Weather is as palpable a hurdle as a hill. You want to start guzzling water 20 minutes before you start. Eat your fruit(esp bananas) to keep your potassium levels up. And most of all throw your cyclometer away and use your noggin. It's hot. The point of riding is fun. Relax and take some time to just enjoy the feeling of the heat scintillating off the pavement as you coast over it. Enjoy the green trees, the puffy summer clouds.

Take the afternoon ride because it's fun. If you want to do training, the morning or evening may be better.

What makes it too hot for me to ride? I don't know. I have to find temps hotter than 120 and see. But it does change my style. I wear padded gloves because the bicycle becomes too hot to touch. When I stop at a light, I stand on the white line and lift my bike so the tires don't melt. I carry 2 liters of water for a 9 mile ride and drink it all. But it's exquisite. The cloudless skies are so blue, the heat almost talks to you its so tangible. It's like riding in an oven. Quite a unique feeling. And maybe, its my way of living dangerously while simply commuting home from work and amazing the cagers.

Of course, now I'm in Arkansas. 95 degrees and 90% humidity is an exercise in applied sweating. But I appreciate the puffy afternoon clouds and the electric blue sky and just take it easy and get where I am going sooner or later.
Old 06-23-06, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
water bikin'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2193651490.jpg (5.8 KB, 262 views)
941872050.jpg (5.5 KB, 262 views)
Old 06-23-06, 03:33 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Heat hits people in different ways. I used to race Karts in Europe and have raced in temps of 105F. Big problem was not the heat but the Humidity. Only way to beat that in those days was plenty of water and Salt Tablets.

Last Sunday I was on a ride- Either riding or queuing or waiting for friends for 6 hours in 85 F temp. Did not bother me at all. Mainly because there was low humidity and a bit of a breeze. Mind you the number that were affected by the heat was phenominal. You could see them flaked out by the road.

As I said- Heat hits people in different ways- Try getting to a Sauna to get accustomed. Even if it does not work- A sauna is still enjoyable.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-23-06, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife and I just got back from a 45 miler up in the mountains. The temp was about 90 with 15% humidity. It was hotter than I like, but not too bad. Wife seems to have more trouble with the heat, but she also sits on the back of the tandem and doesn't get as much air. This is about as hot as I like it, but I can take up to 100-105 if the humiditiy is down in the 10-15% range, and it usually is here when it's that hot. I'm planning an Iowa crossing in August, and I'm really concerned with the humidity. Anywhere east of Chyenne, and I start getting real uncomfortable. And then there's mosquitoes....
Old 06-23-06, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Geez maybe we are getting old, All I read about on this topic is temperature.
Old 06-23-06, 09:23 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I used to lay in the sun and not worry about the heat or sun burn. I used to drink beer and then go swimming in the ocean at the hottest time of the day. I used to run 5 miles (not jog) in 90F weather. I used to ride in the middle of the day in the summer heat.
I used to be a young man with an efficient body. But my body is not that efficient anymore. So I passed on the group ride yesterday at Govenor's creek due to 100F temperatures. Heat stroke is not a fun thing. I'll ride another day and enjoy it.
Old 06-23-06, 09:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What constitues hot?

How about Heather Graham???
Attached Images
fgen1.jpg (15.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-23-06, 09:33 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Too hot is well up in the 100+, and our humidity around here is about 60-80%. Anything is the low 90's is very bearable. If I ride I take plenty of water. At least one bottle for each hour. I have three different size camelbacks, and I take one most all the time in the summer. When the skin gets prickly its time to get off the bike, wet the jersey, cool down.

Still, my favorite is an early morning ride, using lights for the first half.
Old 06-24-06, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Diego
What constitues hot?

How about Heather Graham???

Knew this was coming. What took you so long?
Old 06-24-06, 02:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
Knew this was coming. What took you so long?
Diego still has a working hormone - and he's proud of it!
Old 06-24-06, 03:37 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Diego still has a working hormone!
Work!!!
Old 06-24-06, 04:05 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Water and electrolytes are the key to comfort in the heat. When I worked for a living, it was out in the weather every day. In the hot part of the summer, I carried a one gallon water cooler and would have to refill it at lunch. If it was over 85° or so, I would also buy a large bottle of Gator Ade in the afternoon.

I just got back from a hard 20 mile ride (average HR 133, max HR 156) and I emptied a 50 oz. Camelback (water) and a 24 oz. bottle of Propel® "fitness water". The temperature was 89° and the humidity was 35%. If the temperature was in the low 70's, I would expect that amount of liquid to last me 35 miles or more.

Losing your lunch is an early indication of heat exaustion. Your body needs the blood that is involved with digesting that food to cool you off... so it empties the stomach. You should have stopped at that point, rehydrated and cooled down.

To answer your question, I usually won't ride if the temperature gets much above 95°. Since our hot weather blows in from the desert, humidity is low when the temperature is high.

Dogbait
Old 06-24-06, 05:21 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
You know it's hot when the heat of the asphalt is more pronounced that the breeze from riding......Probably just do some shorter rides and with an easier pace??
Old 06-24-06, 09:13 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
You know it's hot when the heat of the asphalt is more pronounced that the breeze from riding......Probably just do some shorter rides and with an easier pace??
I agree with this. At the higher temperature the rides get shorter. It is always amazing how much the hot asphalt adds to the temperature on a road bike. In hotter weather the mountain bike off on some dirt roads or rail-trail always seems cooler.
Old 06-25-06, 06:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dogbait
Water and electrolytes are the key to comfort in the heat.
Totally agree, Dogbait. Nos88, I don't know if you can still purchase salt tablets (and have no clue what the current medical wisdom on this practice might be), or put a tablespoon of salt in your favorite drink (mine is OJ) before you head out on a really hot day. Then, make certain to replenish fluids lost along the way to perspiration.

You'll sweat a lot, but, my guess is that you'd be surprised how comfortable you can feel working or exercising on a really hot day.

I'd love to hear some comments from a medical type person on this subject - is there a doctor in the house?

Caruso
Old 06-25-06, 10:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And in six months it will be too damn cold......
I have gotten to the point that I have to use an electrolyte drink when it warms up....hell with the low sodium stuff. I am concluding that extra potassium is a help for the cramping and stomach/headach problems.
Old 06-25-06, 05:07 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
Totally agree, Dogbait. Nos88, I don't know if you can still purchase salt tablets (and have no clue what the current medical wisdom on this practice might be), .....................snipitty

....................- is there a doctor in the house?

Caruso
I am not a Doctor but here is a discussion on the subject of salt tablets from cyclingnews.com:

Salt Tablets

There are two letters followed by a detailed answer from Pam Hinton.

The Old Salt
Dogbait
Old 06-25-06, 05:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
20 miler may be a bit much in that heat, myself, I like it on the hot days, but then I'm
trying to lose weight and get that sweat a working like crazy, people at work think I
am crazy when it hits high 90's low 100's and I ride my lunch time route of about 12 miles.
Much rather ride than walk in it, that's for sure!
G2
Old 06-25-06, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, there you go. Thanks for the link, Dogbait.
Caruso

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.