Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Getting used to a new saddle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-06, 09:14 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I've posted earlier on my experience using the a hornless saddle called the Easy Seat. Recently, I bought a Terry Liberator as a "prostate-friendly" saddle with the intention of moving from my hybrid to a new touring bike.

Just wondering if anyone would care to comment on my observations:

1. This Terry liberator has a small opening in the middle. This appears to do nothing for my butt. What seems to work is that it is a hard seat with a raised section for the "sit bones".

2. At first, the seat was very uncomfortable, but after a great deal of tinkering and alignment, it has started to feel OK. Or at least 75% better than the stock seat that came with the hybrid. I think it has also helped my power slightly and balance has improved enormously over the hornless saddle.

3. Most of the discomfort right now seems to be related to bumpy roads. If I hit a lot of bumps, I feel worse. Would a suspension seat-post be helpful? Or should I consider moving to a sprung saddle? I notice that Sheldon Brown is very big on these and you can get a Brooks in several sprung models, like B-67.

4. The seat feels comfortable on my 7 mile commute. Tonight I tried a 15 mile trip that included some crushed limestone road surface. Tomorrow I will try 40. When I get off the saddle, everything seems OK for about 2 hours, then it starts to pain a bit. Not much. Maybe I'm just getting used to it. Although I've had it a week.
Old 06-30-06, 10:20 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
This is on a hybrid, right? Fairly upright seating position? If so, I think a sprung leather saddle like a Brooks Flyer or B-67 would be a good choice. Agree about the sit bone support being more important than the opening. You sound like a good candidate for a Brooks.
Old 06-30-06, 10:43 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
This is on a hybrid, right? Fairly upright seating position? If so, I think a sprung leather saddle like a Brooks Flyer or B-67 would be a good choice. Agree about the sit bone support being more important than the opening. You sound like a good candidate for a Brooks.
Actually, I replaced the bars with Nitto moustache-type bars, so the height is roughly the same as the seat. Think a Brooks B-67 would work? Or is the suspension seat post a better idea?
Old 07-01-06, 12:12 AM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
B-67's are perfect for being level, or just below the grips. I ride two bikes equipped with North Road bars. I have even turned them upside down and used them just lower than the saddle for longer rides, including centuries. I find that the outward grip angle is better for long distance comfort than the mustache type. Mustache bars are very elegant, though. Be aware that the springs on those 66/67 series saddles, as well as the ones one the Flyer, are not supple, as one might expect. They are quite firm but do the job very well.

I just recently bought a new Specialized Sequoia Elite. It has a cheapo suspension post and a low-end Milano (synthetic) saddle. Surprisingly comfortable, but both will go in favor of a carbon post and a Brooks. Synthetic saddles get hot under me, thick-hide leather does not.

There is a real differance between a susp seatpost and a sprung saddle. You will notice it on long rides. A susp seatpost moves in only one direction - up and down. Conversely, sprung saddles offer a very subtle form of suspension. They move with the rider and actually dampen shock by being able to move laterally as well. You won't notice the lateral motion, though. Dedicated purists may say this robs power transfer, but I doubt that it matters to most riders. I sure appreciate the way I feel after 100 miles.

If you want pics, PM me.
Old 07-01-06, 03:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously, what feels good to you is an individual matter. For me, less seat is better. I don't have a great deal of experience with what I would call seat pain. My longest rides have been in the 75 mile range - but I do make those rides steadily - i.e., one stop in the middle of the trip for relief and a drink, then, back on the bike for a non-stop ride back. On those long rides, my rear will be telling me it was on the bike, but, also that it would be far more willing to keep on riding than the rest of me - so, I'm not certain my comments are valid for you - but, if you haven't tried it, you might want to look a the Fizik Arione. To someone who is having problems with saddle pain, it will look wicked - but I put one on my bike a couple of weeks ago and have found it to be the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. It's not sprung, but there is an ample area for the sit bones, and the design lets you move around a little - vary your position as you ride.

I ride a cyclocross, so I'm probably not quite as upright as you, but not as double-folded as one of those ridiculously fit all out road ridin' youngin's for whom I hold deep-seated envy.

Good luck in your search. As I say, I'm no expert, but, definitely believe that there is a saddle out there for everyone, no matter what their shape or size.

Caruso
Old 07-01-06, 05:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Actually, I replaced the bars with Nitto moustache-type bars, so the height is roughly the same as the seat. Think a Brooks B-67 would work? Or is the suspension seat post a better idea?
You have a new saddle that is nearly working and after only a short time. Will another saddle be as good? Even if it is a Brooks that I have never got on with. Suspension posts are ok but the cheap ones are not worth a light. Unfortunately- the ones that do work are a bit expensive- a lot more expensive than a Brooks saddle that I do not like- (Heard that before somewhere).

Without you trying either- I would not like to say but a Post that does work is the Cane Creek Thudbuster.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-01-06, 06:51 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Century Liberator on my Bianchi which is the bike I usually ride on century's or rough surfaces. I've tried a bunch of different saddles but keep coming back to the Terry. I'd give it some more time.... it takes several weeks of riding to get fully accustomed to a saddle...
Old 07-01-06, 07:10 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Bars level with the seat would, for me, call for an unsprung saddle. My choice would be a Brooks B17, but that doesn't mean it would work for you. You may want to give the saddle you have more time to see if you become more comfortable on it. Terry seats are very good. If your model is wide enough and flat enough at the rear, it may be just the seat for you. Fiddle with the angle until you get it just right. Are you wearing lycra shorts?

I can't think of any situation where I would want a suspension post on a road bike. I don't want suspension on the road. Slightly lower air pressure in the tires can make for a much smoother ride. When I see a bump, I lift my bottom and let the legs and arms absorb the shock.
I do use a Thudbuster on my MTB and it works well at softening the jolts.
Old 07-01-06, 03:37 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jcm
B-67's are perfect for being level, or just below the grips. I ride two bikes equipped with North Road bars. I have even turned them upside down and used them just lower than the saddle for longer rides, including centuries.
That's exactly the setup I have on my hybrid. I replaced the mountain bike bars with Nitto Albatross bars. They are like North Road bars, but flipped upside down. There's a 5 cm drop, I think

Based on yours and other information, I'm undecided what to do next.

Today I further tested the Terry seat on a 56 mile trip. My butt aches right now, but so does everything else. One down side of the seat test is that I broke two spokes on the trip and had to limp home. While I was at the LBS getting the spokes fixed, I finally decided to buy the Volpe I have been lusting after.

So now I have two bikes. I think I'll keep the Terry for my hybrid and maybe try a Brooks, sprung or unsprung... on the Volpe.

Thanks for your help with this
Old 07-02-06, 08:08 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
I have a Terry Liberator Sport (don't see the Sport in their current line-up) on my mtn.bike, and went thru several saddles before finding it. A friend, complaining of his saddle, bought a Terry Liberator Gel, after trying my bike, and likes the Liberator. I have found that you have to fool with the placement of this saddle to get it right. Mine is slightly raised in the front (contradictory to what you might think would be comfortable). I think you'll find the saddle is fine, once you get it "dialed in".
Old 07-02-06, 01:35 PM
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
I think you'll find the saddle is fine, once you get it "dialed in".
More on my continuing seat saga: Today did another 56 miles on my new bike. You know, this is strange. The first night I tried it, I rode 5 miles and was ready to send it back. Now, 200 miles later, I have no pain with it. It is actually starting to feel comfortable.
Old 07-02-06, 04:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I'd say if you did 55 miles without pain, you may have found your saddle.
Congrats.
Caruso