Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wanderlust - to the Great White North

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-06, 09:11 AM
Touring senior

Bikes: Cannondale touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just can't help myself - I've gotta get on my faithful steed and head off to see some new territory. Leaving tomorrow (Mon). Alaska highway to Whitehorse, Klondike highway to Dawson City, then the big one - the Dempster highway to Inuvik (740 kms of gravel). That's the end of the road and takes me to about 100 kms shy of the Arctic Ocean; in order to do the obligatory salt water wheel dip I'll have to fly to Tuktoyaktuk right on the ocean.

That should leave me with enough time to swing around to Tok, Fairbanks, Denali and Anchorage.

I confess to delusions of grandeur.......

But first I have this Father's Day picnic (with it's mounds of food!) to attend to.

I've recently published my tour journals (Across Canada, Eh?) - if anyone's interested they're available at www.crazyguyonabike.com/journal/pianoman
Old 06-18-06, 02:20 PM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big Guy, thanks for the heads up on your journal. I read crazyguy regularly and find inspiration in many the journals there. I'm in absolute awe of some of the trips some of these riders do and wish that I could do the same. But until I do, I live vicariously through these diarys.

I'm looking forward to reading yours. It's neat to find out that one of our own (50+) has journaled there. I'll definitely start reading it this evening.

John in Oregon
Old 07-01-06, 06:05 PM
Perpetually lost

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Murray--I just finished both journals last night. That sounded like a fantastic trip. I have to admit that I could never walk (or bike) up to a total strangers house and ask to swim in their pool. But it shows the kindness of strangers that is still out there. But it was a great read--ya' done good!

So, are you really going to do a Texas/Artic Circle trip? That would be really fun--follow the Canadien geese migration. Start way up north (where it's cooler) and head south ending at the Gulf of Mexico around the end of September (when it's cooler). Sounds like a blast.