User Tag List

My Bikes
    2010 Allegra 2X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer heat and sweat bands

Well, I think I'm going to try a sweat band with my cycling helmet. Can’t stand getting sweat in my eyes.

Any other suggestions?
    2010 Jamis Allegra 2X
    God loves you, and God loves me, Even if I do cause his over time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your like me, buy several. I have to change mine out about every 45 minutes, as they get saturated and the sweat just pours into my eyes. I am also trying one of the sweatbands with the hankerchief attached and it seems to absorb more of the sweat.

Brian

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ones I have, I have to keep wetting them with water on every water stop. The do a really good job of keeping my head cooler and sweat out of my eyes..... They are made of some wicking material that wicks the sweat away and evaporates really quick.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using skull caps made out of wicking materials that seem to work for a couple hours. Sweatbands worked ok too as long as i brought 2 or 3 of them along and switched out when they got saturated. I mainly went to the skullcaps to keep me from burnin my noggin. I liked the sweat bands though for the "grossout" factor as i always waited untl the wife popped her head in to see me wring about a quart of sweat onto the garage floor.

My Bikes
    1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear this brand under my helmet. They also make a helmet liner that has no "tails". This type of material soaks up a lot of sweat and the air coming through the helmet vents evaporates it and keeps your head cool. Most bike shops and online sporting goods outfits have them.

Headsweats

Dogbait

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbait
    I wear this brand under my helmet. They also make a helmet liner that has no "tails". This type of material soaks up a lot of sweat and the air coming through the helmet vents evaporates it and keeps your head cool. Most bike shops and online sporting goods outfits have them.

Headsweats

Dogbait
    +1 I use the same product and find it superior to sweat bands.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, look for the Coolmax stuff.... Mine have a terry cloth brow pad. They come in a bunch of styles and colors....
    Carpe who?

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a couple of these guys here. They keep me cool, and they've got this thing rubberized strip on the brow that is supposed to channel the sweat away from the eyes. Since I started wearing these rather that sweatband, I haven't had sweat in my eyes.

My Bikes
    Felt F60--Giant MTB--SS beater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up the Headsweats headband that is made of Coolmax fabric. Works like a champ! I did a 56 mile ride in 80 degree weather yesterday and not one drop of sweat ended up in my eyes. I am very pleased with it for $12

My Bikes
    2010 Allegra 2X
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks,

I ordered two headsweats, one for me and one for my wife!
    2010 Jamis Allegra 2X
    God loves you, and God loves me, Even if I do cause his over time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "one size fits all" do-rag dealies do not fit all. I use a coolmax headband that channels water to back of neck, and seems to work OK. They also need to make helmet pads out of a closed-cell foam so they don't absorb so much sweat. When I bend my head down (like when standing during a climb), my chin pulls on the chin strap, compressing the helmet against my head, and causing a stream of sweat to squeeze onto my forehead. Without sweatband, I've been blinded - not good.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered some Headsweats a few days ago...waiting on delivery.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor
    I use a couple of these guys here. They keep me cool, and they've got this thing rubberized strip on the brow that is supposed to channel the sweat away from the eyes. Since I started wearing these rather that sweatband, I haven't had sweat in my eyes.
    The Halo headbands are great.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by torqd76
    I just picked up the Headsweats headband that is made of Coolmax fabric. Works like a champ! I did a 56 mile ride in 80 degree weather yesterday and not one drop of sweat ended up in my eyes. I am very pleased with it for $12
    If ya really want to stay cool, soak it in cool water, give a quick wring and put it on wet.... refreshing.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Coolmax Headsweats, but I cut out part of the thick headband in front. Too thick to be comfortable. Other times I'll wear a bandana to cover my head and soak up sweat. They don't evaporate as quickly, so they fill up with sweat, but at a stop I'll rinse it out and the water helps cool my head as it dries.
    On really hot rides, I'll wear a bandana and a Coolmax headband to wick the sweat away from my eyes. The best I've found is the simplest. Tom Morris of Cyclosaurs Sportwear has these simple coolmax bands that work great to pull the sweat from your forehead to behind your head where it drips or evaporates. It is just a strip of Coolmax, folded double and flat sewn to form a headband. He doesn't have a website, but you can find his booth at rides around the southeast such as BRAG, Bike Virginia and Six Gap Century (Tom does the jerseys for Six Gap).
    CYCLOSAURS SPORTSWEAR
    P.O. Box 54562, Atlanta, GA 30308
    E-mail: CYCLOSAURS@Bellsouth.com
    http://www.dahlonega.org/aboutus.asp?id06=124&par06=23
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Helen's Cycles in Westwood, near UCLA and bought the Sweat Gutter. Its the soft plastic and actually is a gutter of sorts. Its worn like a headband but its not cloth of any kind, just the soft plastic gutter that channels the sweat to the sides of the face instead of the eyes.

It works. I examined the Halo sweat band and it too uses soft plastic. But the big thing is that the soft plastic is merely a strip built into a headband. That soft plastic strip is nowhere near the design of the sweat gutter. The drawback of the sweat gutter is that it has a higher profile than the Halo sweatband. Its thicker and thus not that great under a helmet. I suppose to make the soft plastic gutter design functional, it had to be thicker than the Halo.