Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   saddle that equals comfort (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/207729-saddle-equals-comfort.html)

davidaub83 07-01-06 10:06 PM

saddle that equals comfort

Need some advice- I just started riding and have a standard saddle on a trek 1000. I am in it for exercise and wish to change saddles to gain a comfortable ride-any suggestions? thanks!

Big Paulie 07-02-06 01:05 AM

Ask this question again in about 6 months...when we all stop laughing!

Seriously David, this is the 64 million dollar question that can't be answered by anybody but you and your Visa card. It takes a lot of miles and more than a few saddles to figure out what you need, and how to set it up so it works best for you. It's a long journey, but when you get settled on something you like, everything else is a cake-walk.

One thing you need to do to get some focus to your question is to describe your physical attributes (height, weight, waist size, etc). Then the folks in here can give you some direction. This is a good group, with lots to offer besides stale jokes...but a saddle is so personal, all anyone can do is give you suggestions.

So, what are your particulars?

Digital Gee 07-02-06 01:08 AM

First, find someone who's ass is exactly like yours. Then, ask them what saddle they are using. If they are happy with theirs, get one of those. But make SURE you have identical asses. :D

Big Paulie 07-02-06 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
First, find someone who's ass is exactly like yours. Then, ask them what saddle they are using. If they are happy with theirs, get one of those. But make SURE you have identical asses. :D

David,

Don't say I didn't warn you about the humor in here...but, there is truth in what DG is saying. Finding cyclists with like body type is really a good M.O. in sorting this out.

FarHorizon 07-02-06 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Don't say I didn't warn you about the humor in here...but, there is truth in what DG is saying. Finding cyclists with like body type is really a good M.O. in sorting this out.

In that case, what saddle does Homer Simpson use? I need one of those!

http://members.cox.net/younggg/homer_fatpride.jpg

Grampy™ 07-02-06 06:38 AM

So this is why the other Fifty Pluser's have been checking out my Bootay? :D

gerv 07-02-06 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by davidaub83
Need some advice- I just started riding and have a standard saddle on a trek 1000. I am in it for exercise and wish to change saddles to gain a comfortable ride-any suggestions? thanks!

I found this helpful http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bicycleseats.html . I've done a lot of research on this too and am still looking. It's sort of cycling's Quest for Holy Grail. You could try searching Bike Forums for "saddle". That would give you enough reading material for a month.

Grampy™ 07-02-06 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by FarHorizon
In that case, what saddle does Homer Simpson use? I need one of those!

http://members.cox.net/younggg/homer_fatpride.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=46562

Here it is..... :D

FarHorizon 07-02-06 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Grampy™

WHOOOOO WHOOOOOOO!!!!

Blackberry 07-02-06 06:50 AM

DeeGee, I'm still laughing. You are the Cosmo Kramer of the cycling world. Your idea reminds me of the time Kramer wanted to learn to take more efficient showers, so he goes to a gym with a notepad. Here's the dialog (right before he gets the crap beat out of him):

Kramer, [taking notes on showering men at the YMCA]: "Now see, that's smart.
Constant motion. Wow."
Man in Shower, [seeing Kramer staring at the showering man]: "Hey!"
Kramer: "Oh, yeah, yeah, I-I'm watching you, too. But this guy's really
showing me something!"

late 07-02-06 07:55 AM

Hi,
I use a Selle An-Atomica, link takes you to
a video of the thing in action. A note of warning, the
perspective can be unsettling, but it does clearly demonstrate the
effectiveness of the saddle.
http://www.mcmwin.com/commercial%20portal.htm

NOS88 07-02-06 11:20 AM

It might be worth trying to find a local bike shop that will let you try out a few saddles without buying them. Not all shops will do this; in fact many won't, but if you can find one... it will really help narrow down what you like and don't like. Additionally, the same saddle will feel completely different with just 1/16 inch adjustments with tilt and fore/aft adjustments. So, experimentation is really the only way to get what will work for you long term. If you can't find a shop that will let you experiment, see if you can find other cyclist with saddles they no longer use. Once again, if you can borrow them and try them out, you'll eventually get closer to knowing what you really want.

gerv 07-02-06 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by NOS88
Additionally, the same saddle will feel completely different with just 1/16 inch adjustments with tilt and fore/aft adjustments. So, experimentation is really the only way to get what will work for you long term.

This is so true. A correctly adjusted saddle makes a big difference. Even then, it may take a while before it starts feeling comfortable. You can't tell just by riding a mile or 2.

Baggsy 07-03-06 08:17 AM

Brooks Swift with Titanium rails...if it doesnt' work out for you, send it on to me and I'll break it in for ya...(grin)

CrossChain 07-03-06 08:25 AM

To facilitate this butt match-up idea, I suggest we all send in (tasteful) photos of our behinds. Dnvr will sort through them and post an addition to the Rogue's Gallery where we will be grouped by butt similarities. We can then discuss mutual needs in saddles.

As an incentive, why not have "Best In Class" winners? Fat-Ass, Lard-Ass, Boney Ass, Head Up a**, Hard Ass, etc.

TO THE OP: Most questions get a thoughtful response-- usually more than you want to hear. The one universal truth about saddles is that in a couple years you'll have a box in the garage with a variety of saddles that you've moved-on from. Eventually you'll find one with which you make peace. Ain't that a kick in the ass!! ;)

jazzy_cyclist 07-03-06 08:34 AM

I agree with all of the above.

On my main ride I have a Specialized Body Geometry Avatar. These are [allegedly] ergonomically designed to maximize blood flow to the, uh, "nether regions". I like it much better than the squishy saddle that came on my bike, but it's not always nirvana (the more hours you put in, though, the better it gets).

On a ride that I just built, I put on an E-3, another ergonomically designed saddle. I haven't ridden it enough to form an opinion on it yet.

There is a very large contingent that touts Brooks saddles, retro leather saddles that have been around forever and allegedly conform to your backside. But there are lots of opinions floating around. I'll be nearly to convinced that sadlle XYZ should be heaven, and then hear about how saddle XYZ is an ass hatchet. I think a lot of this can also depend on bike fit as well -- if you have a poor fit (e.g., too long a reach) then it can be manifest by an uncomfortable saddle.

Road Fan 07-03-06 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by late
Hi,
I use a Selle An-Atomica.

http://www.mcmwin.com/commercial%20portal.htm

Could you tell us how you like it? What would you compare it to? How is it different in feel and comfort to a Brooks Pro?

Ken

Thrifty1 07-03-06 04:56 PM

http://www.wallbike.com for the absolute best and last saddle you will try........BROOKS. Wallingford Bike affords the opprtunity to try the Brooks of your selection for six month trial/return.

scottogo 07-03-06 05:44 PM

Some people on this forum have suggested to get a saddle that supports your "sit bones."
You can appproximate where they are by sitting on a piece of cardboard and marking the indentations. At least that way you will know the width of your needs.

bernmart 07-03-06 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Thrifty1
http://www.wallbike.com for the absolute best and last saddle you will try........BROOKS. Wallingford Bike affords the opprtunity to try the Brooks of your selection for six month trial/return.

Ah...another member of the Brooks cult. Only one member of my club uses a Brooks, and she's utterly devoted to it after owning it for six months. I asked her today how the Brooks was breaking in, and she said: "Just fine. I love it. Of course, I do have this saddle sore under one of my sit bones, and I may have to have it lanced."

No, thanks.

late 07-03-06 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Could you tell us how you like it? What would you compare it to? How is it different in feel and comfort to a Brooks Pro?

Ken

Hi,
I like it a lot. Here's the deal, I am a very big guy, not tall, heavy.
So the extra length of this saddle keeps the nose off my perinaeum.

The front and tail are stiff like a Brooks. It comes with the infamous dimples
pre-installed. The middle is like a baseball glove. The nose actually
pivots when you move. I imagine you have seen the video by now. It gets
out of the way when you pedal.

I have done 50 mile or longer rides on a Brooks Flyer, B17 and B67.
Acutally, the B67 killed me, I didn't use it long. My sister is using it now,
and seems to like it. But she sits nearly bolt upright.

Anyway, I have got up to 45 miles, and I have fewer problems with this
than any other saddle. It helps that I am using better shorts this year, but
I did the 45 mile ride on my old shorts. Which wasn't too bright. My brilliance
will last as long as I can survive my process of elimination tests(ouch).

I got their most expensive saddle, so my comments apply to the Titanico with their fancy treated leather. If you are a big guy, or want your saddle to really last, it's prob the way to go.

Ahh, just noticed your Brooks Pro question. The Titanico is like the B17. Their Settebello
is closer to the Pro and I haven't tried it. I have tried the Pro... briefly. A new Pro is
hard, as you can tell from the video, these saddles come presoftened in the middle.
Your sitbones will be on a firm or hard surface, but your tender bits and thighs will be on
something that has some give to it.

Hope that helps.

centexwoody 07-03-06 05:56 PM

I've been dealing with a 'lanced saddle sore' on my sit bone for a month: 2 doctor visits, one round of antibiotics - a real pain in the butt. Hibaclens is the answer...

John E 07-03-06 07:43 PM

Brooks. (But regular readers already knew I would say that. :) )

After 34 years, my Brooks Pro is custom fitted and perfectly comfortable.

BluesDawg 07-03-06 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bernmart
Ah...another member of the Brooks cult. Only one member of my club uses a Brooks, and she's utterly devoted to it after owning it for six months. I asked her today how the Brooks was breaking in, and she said: "Just fine. I love it. Of course, I do have this saddle sore under one of my sit bones, and I may have to have it lanced."
No, thanks.

Gee, I must have been using my B17 wrong all these years. I've never had a saddle sore. I hope I don't get thrown out of the cult!

bernmart 07-03-06 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Gee, I must have been using my B17 wrong all these years. I've never had a saddle sore. I hope I don't get thrown out of the cult!

Nice comeback. You'll get thrown out of the cult only if you buy a different saddle. the half-assed (!) point I was making is that real Brooks fans will never interpret a negative experience with their saddles as a limitation of the saddle design itself--it must come from poor saddle position, inadequate break-in, or some such cause. Which of course is often perfectly true.