Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

saddle that equals comfort

Need some advice- I just started riding and have a standard saddle on a trek 1000. I am in it for exercise and wish to change saddles to gain a comfortable ride-any suggestions? thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask this question again in about 6 months...when we all stop laughing!

Seriously David, this is the 64 million dollar question that can't be answered by anybody but you and your Visa card. It takes a lot of miles and more than a few saddles to figure out what you need, and how to set it up so it works best for you. It's a long journey, but when you get settled on something you like, everything else is a cake-walk.

One thing you need to do to get some focus to your question is to describe your physical attributes (height, weight, waist size, etc). Then the folks in here can give you some direction. This is a good group, with lots to offer besides stale jokes...but a saddle is so personal, all anyone can do is give you suggestions.

So, what are your particulars?

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, find someone who's ass is exactly like yours. Then, ask them what saddle they are using. If they are happy with theirs, get one of those. But make SURE you have identical asses.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    First, find someone who's ass is exactly like yours. Then, ask them what saddle they are using. If they are happy with theirs, get one of those. But make SURE you have identical asses.
    David,

Don't say I didn't warn you about the humor in here...but, there is truth in what DG is saying. Finding cyclists with like body type is really a good M.O. in sorting this out.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Don't say I didn't warn you about the humor in here...but, there is truth in what DG is saying. Finding cyclists with like body type is really a good M.O. in sorting this out.
    In that case, what saddle does Homer Simpson use? I need one of those!

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is why the other Fifty Pluser's have been checking out my Bootay?
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidaub83
    Need some advice- I just started riding and have a standard saddle on a trek 1000. I am in it for exercise and wish to change saddles to gain a comfortable ride-any suggestions? thanks!
    I found this helpful http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bicycleseats.html . I've done a lot of research on this too and am still looking. It's sort of cycling's Quest for Holy Grail. You could try searching Bike Forums for "saddle". That would give you enough reading material for a month.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    In that case, what saddle does Homer Simpson use? I need one of those!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=46562

Here it is.....
    Carpe who?

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    WHOOOOO WHOOOOOOO!!!!

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DeeGee, I'm still laughing. You are the Cosmo Kramer of the cycling world. Your idea reminds me of the time Kramer wanted to learn to take more efficient showers, so he goes to a gym with a notepad. Here's the dialog (right before he gets the crap beat out of him):

Kramer, [taking notes on showering men at the YMCA]: "Now see, that's smart.
    Constant motion. Wow."
    Man in Shower, [seeing Kramer staring at the showering man]: "Hey!"
    Kramer: "Oh, yeah, yeah, I-I'm watching you, too. But this guy's really
    showing me something!"
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I use a Selle An-Atomica, link takes you to
    a video of the thing in action. A note of warning, the
    perspective can be unsettling, but it does clearly demonstrate the
    effectiveness of the saddle.
    http://www.mcmwin.com/commercial%20portal.htm

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might be worth trying to find a local bike shop that will let you try out a few saddles without buying them. Not all shops will do this; in fact many won't, but if you can find one... it will really help narrow down what you like and don't like. Additionally, the same saddle will feel completely different with just 1/16 inch adjustments with tilt and fore/aft adjustments. So, experimentation is really the only way to get what will work for you long term. If you can't find a shop that will let you experiment, see if you can find other cyclist with saddles they no longer use. Once again, if you can borrow them and try them out, you'll eventually get closer to knowing what you really want.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    1974 Huffy 3 speed
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Additionally, the same saddle will feel completely different with just 1/16 inch adjustments with tilt and fore/aft adjustments. So, experimentation is really the only way to get what will work for you long term.
    This is so true. A correctly adjusted saddle makes a big difference. Even then, it may take a while before it starts feeling comfortable. You can't tell just by riding a mile or 2.

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks Swift with Titanium rails...if it doesnt' work out for you, send it on to me and I'll break it in for ya...(grin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To facilitate this butt match-up idea, I suggest we all send in (tasteful) photos of our behinds. Dnvr will sort through them and post an addition to the Rogue's Gallery where we will be grouped by butt similarities. We can then discuss mutual needs in saddles.

As an incentive, why not have "Best In Class" winners? Fat-Ass, Lard-Ass, Boney Ass, Head Up a**, Hard Ass, etc.

TO THE OP: Most questions get a thoughtful response-- usually more than you want to hear. The one universal truth about saddles is that in a couple years you'll have a box in the garage with a variety of saddles that you've moved-on from. Eventually you'll find one with which you make peace. Ain't that a kick in the ass!!

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all of the above.

On my main ride I have a Specialized Body Geometry Avatar. These are [allegedly] ergonomically designed to maximize blood flow to the, uh, "nether regions". I like it much better than the squishy saddle that came on my bike, but it's not always nirvana (the more hours you put in, though, the better it gets).

On a ride that I just built, I put on an E-3, another ergonomically designed saddle. I haven't ridden it enough to form an opinion on it yet.

There is a very large contingent that touts Brooks saddles, retro leather saddles that have been around forever and allegedly conform to your backside. But there are lots of opinions floating around. I'll be nearly to convinced that sadlle XYZ should be heaven, and then hear about how saddle XYZ is an ass hatchet. I think a lot of this can also depend on bike fit as well -- if you have a poor fit (e.g., too long a reach) then it can be manifest by an uncomfortable saddle.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by late
    Hi,
    I use a Selle An-Atomica.

http://www.mcmwin.com/commercial%20portal.htm
    Could you tell us how you like it? What would you compare it to? How is it different in feel and comfort to a Brooks Pro?

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.wallbike.com for the absolute best and last saddle you will try........BROOKS. Wallingford Bike affords the opprtunity to try the Brooks of your selection for six month trial/return.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people on this forum have suggested to get a saddle that supports your "sit bones."
    You can appproximate where they are by sitting on a piece of cardboard and marking the indentations. At least that way you will know the width of your needs.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty1
    http://www.wallbike.com for the absolute best and last saddle you will try........BROOKS. Wallingford Bike affords the opprtunity to try the Brooks of your selection for six month trial/return.
    Ah...another member of the Brooks cult. Only one member of my club uses a Brooks, and she's utterly devoted to it after owning it for six months. I asked her today how the Brooks was breaking in, and she said: "Just fine. I love it. Of course, I do have this saddle sore under one of my sit bones, and I may have to have it lanced."

No, thanks.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan
    Could you tell us how you like it? What would you compare it to? How is it different in feel and comfort to a Brooks Pro?

Ken
    Hi,
    I like it a lot. Here's the deal, I am a very big guy, not tall, heavy.
    So the extra length of this saddle keeps the nose off my perinaeum.

The front and tail are stiff like a Brooks. It comes with the infamous dimples
    pre-installed. The middle is like a baseball glove. The nose actually
    pivots when you move. I imagine you have seen the video by now. It gets
    out of the way when you pedal.

I have done 50 mile or longer rides on a Brooks Flyer, B17 and B67.
    Acutally, the B67 killed me, I didn't use it long. My sister is using it now,
    and seems to like it. But she sits nearly bolt upright.

Anyway, I have got up to 45 miles, and I have fewer problems with this
    than any other saddle. It helps that I am using better shorts this year, but
    I did the 45 mile ride on my old shorts. Which wasn't too bright. My brilliance
    will last as long as I can survive my process of elimination tests(ouch).

I got their most expensive saddle, so my comments apply to the Titanico with their fancy treated leather. If you are a big guy, or want your saddle to really last, it's prob the way to go.

Ahh, just noticed your Brooks Pro question. The Titanico is like the B17. Their Settebello
    is closer to the Pro and I haven't tried it. I have tried the Pro... briefly. A new Pro is
    hard, as you can tell from the video, these saddles come presoftened in the middle.
    Your sitbones will be on a firm or hard surface, but your tender bits and thighs will be on
    something that has some give to it.

Hope that helps.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been dealing with a 'lanced saddle sore' on my sit bone for a month: 2 doctor visits, one round of antibiotics - a real pain in the butt. Hibaclens is the answer...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks. (But regular readers already knew I would say that. )

After 34 years, my Brooks Pro is custom fitted and perfectly comfortable.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bernmart
    Ah...another member of the Brooks cult. Only one member of my club uses a Brooks, and she's utterly devoted to it after owning it for six months. I asked her today how the Brooks was breaking in, and she said: "Just fine. I love it. Of course, I do have this saddle sore under one of my sit bones, and I may have to have it lanced."
    No, thanks.
    Gee, I must have been using my B17 wrong all these years. I've never had a saddle sore. I hope I don't get thrown out of the cult!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg
    Gee, I must have been using my B17 wrong all these years. I've never had a saddle sore. I hope I don't get thrown out of the cult!
    Nice comeback. You'll get thrown out of the cult only if you buy a different saddle. the half-assed (!) point I was making is that real Brooks fans will never interpret a negative experience with their saddles as a limitation of the saddle design itself--it must come from poor saddle position, inadequate break-in, or some such cause. Which of course is often perfectly true.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast