Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why so unfriendly - do I have BO??

In some fifty miles of cycling yesterday, I passed probably 20 other bikers going the opposite way - one traveling my direction who overtook me (evidently, he doesn't like exceeding a certain top speed, because, on a long downhill, he rode his brakes, so I passed him) - so, my contact was with no more than 21 bikes.

The guy who overtook me that I then passed offered first an "on your left" and then, a hearty good morning as he went by.

None of the other bikers would even acknowledge my nod of the head.

I don't get it.

One guy was even riding a bike that was almost identical to mine - I said hello, he rode by without acknowledging me.

I don't get it, really. What have we become – to what distant shore have common manners fled.

These other bikers were a mixed bag - some were decked out in complete modern riding clothes on expensive looking road bikes, others were in street clothes on old single speeds, some young and athletic, some old and athletic, others like me, fell somewhere in between (not so athletic, not so OLD, certainly not fancy). None could be bothered to acknowledge the most fleeting sign of acknowledgement.

I'm not looking for them to stop and chat, not even a hand wave - a nod would be fine. I hate to be repeating myself, but I don't get it. Why are folks so unfriendly?

BTW, I never confront this unfriendliness. I'll go on nodding hello until the day I die - accepting graciously responses from those who offer, moving on if there is none.

But, I still don't get it. Do any of you?

Caruso

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of our bicyclers are friendly and nod or lift a finger or whatever in return. Perhaps you just had a bad day of unfriendly bicyclers?

Is this typical?

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen this from time to time--but usually the riders who don't acknowledge me are either elite cyclists training for an event or (maybe more likely) elite wannabes. I never get upset. I just call my cousin Vito "the hammer" Diego and take out a contract on them.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    ...None of the other bikers would even acknowledge my nod of the head...I still don't get it. Do any of you?
    Some of it is cultural. I ride roads & paths close to the local university. Most young women will smile & retun my greeting. Most young men are too "cool" to do so. Most older folks return my greeting, but some think I'm too garish, in my bright T-shirt & spandex, to make a reply.

I'm happy to receive any friendly response that I get. I return home from my rides refreshed physically and spiritually - just as good as church for me!

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got one fellow in particular..... I meet him 2-3 times a week. I always wave, or say hi or a how ya doin'... (like I do to everyone) and he has never acknowleged my existance. It's now gotton to be kind of funny.... I think up new things to say to him every day.... "Nice bike", "beautiful day", "yo", or just a big cheesy grin and a wave. Nothin'. Oh well, sucks to be him.
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycling seems to have really taken off over the last few years and there seems to be more people on bikes. Average Joe may not yet know about our trademarked Biker Greetings. I always give the nod, wave, smile or hello whenever I see someone.

On the other hand though, there's been times I've been given the Biker Greetings but at the time I was aloof from being winded or fatigued or just enjoying the scenery and failed to reciprocate. It's always an awkward moment.
    We are the musicmakers and we are the dreamers of dreams...

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride MUPs, mountain trails and road. On the trails and MUPs, all the MTBers say hello or acknowledge me, about 80% of the MUP cyclists acknowledge me, about half of the road cyclists acknowledge or say hello. What can I say, others have made comments about some roadies not being friendly. From my experience, some are not.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    The guy who overtook me that I then passed offered first an "on your left" and then, a hearty good morning as he went by.

None of the other bikers would even acknowledge my nod of the head.

I don't get it.

One guy was even riding a bike that was almost identical to mine - I said hello, he rode by without acknowledging me.

I don't get it, really. What have we become – to what distant shore have common manners fled.

These other bikers were a mixed bag - some were decked out in complete modern riding clothes on expensive looking road bikes, others were in street clothes on old single speeds, some young and athletic, some old and athletic, others like me, fell somewhere in between (not so athletic, not so OLD, certainly not fancy). None could be bothered to acknowledge the most fleeting sign of acknowledgement.

I'm not looking for them to stop and chat, not even a hand wave - a nod would be fine. I hate to be repeating myself, but I don't get it. Why are folks so unfriendly?

But, I still don't get it. Do any of you?

Caruso
    Yes, I "get it". America is a land divided by many things now so "strangers" are to be avoided. Most
    folk's you pass by try to isolate themselves in the hopes that no harm comes to them so they travel
    in a "bubble" around them that lets no one in. The world is now full of nut cases that seek to do all
    they meet wrongs or harm.

America is now a "land of strangers" so the friendly folk's of old you may have known are now long
    gone. To a large measure America's sense of "neighborhood" is dead.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Peloton Pro, Colnago Master, Vision R40, Volae Club, Raleigh Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    I've got one fellow in particular..... I meet him 2-3 times a week. I always wave, or say hi or a how ya doin'... (like I do to everyone) and he has never acknowleged my existance. It's now gotton to be kind of funny.... I think up new things to say to him every day.... "Nice bike", "beautiful day", "yo", or just a big cheesy grin and a wave. Nothin'. Oh well, sucks to be him.
    The a$$holes I meet on my regular ride are typically elite wannabe's. There are a few from a team called North Hills Velo and I figure maybe they are too focused to return a greeting? I dunno. However it seems to me that if I was training and going all out, I probably wouldn't ride on the bike path at the local park; I'd be hammering some "real" roads.

I too run into several of the same rides every day and after a few times of being ignored, I find it humorous (to me) to smile and ding my bell as they pass. I bought the bell just to be an a$$. I have fun hammering past these guys on the hills too. (I ride a fixie, so hammering is the only option for climbing.)

*Ding-Ding!*
    My Current Bikes:

• 1993 Giant Kronos
    • 1974 Zeus (in restoration)
    • Cruzbike Silvio

05 Roubaix Comp Double
    My Bikes
    2012 Trek Madone 6.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Most of our bicyclers are friendly and nod or lift a finger or whatever in return. Perhaps you just had a bad day of unfriendly bicyclers?

Is this typical?
    More like a normal day. 1 out of 20 is about right.
    Touch every 3rd person and you'll find an idiot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    Keep it up. The guys twin brother lives here. I tried for years to get a hello from him.

One day, out of the blue, he said to me, "You got a computer on your bike?"

I said yes.

He wanted me to measure a portion of a new exactly 40 mile route for him, because there was some construction where he normally rode. He rides exactly 40 miles every single day over the same exact route.

Since then, he and I have gotten more friendly. I did find out that he is much more friendly to the ladies. He is 2 years older than I - 68yo.

Desert Rat
    My Bikes
    GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will always at least give a nod, most times I'll wave. Sometimes I'm caught up in my ride or looking at my computer and someone will slip past without acknowledgement, but not often. I don't know if their unfriendly or what, it doesn't matter to me if they acknowledge me or not. I actually find it funny to wave to someone and watch how fast they turn their head and pretend they didn't see me. I have no idea what may be going through a persons head at any given time.
    Have I mentioned that I love riding my bikes?
    GT Timberline (1989), Home build (2012), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Jack aka:makeitso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta admit to a few times where I've been so toasted with a deathgrip on the bars and a body petrified with weariness that I failed to acknowledge other riders. Most often, however, other riders & I usually wave. Although currently increasing in numbers, there still aren't all that many riders in my area. (At one time, meeting another rider was so rare it was almost reason to stop.) Perhaps in more rider dense areas (some of the hilly roads in the S.F. Bay Area) riders are so overpopulated nobody bothers...like waving at a fellow sardine. Nice to maintain the Brotherhood of the Spoke with at least a head nod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of snobery I suspect. If your "kit" or bike wern't up to thier standards, they won't wave. I've had it happen with guys passing me. Sure makes me feel good to blow right by them in return. Nothing like getting all dressed up in your color coordinated team outfit and having some over weight over age guy in a LL Bean shirt leave you in the dust.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in NYC where most people will not say hello to you on the street (why, because there would be too many people to say hello to on any given day?...don't know) but I haven't met the same response from cyclists that I meet on the road. Most are friendly and will acknowledge you. Is it because, in a way, we're members of the same fraternity?

It could also be a cultural thing depending on what part of the country you live. When I went to college in Oklahoma in the late 60's I was literally dumbfounded that people I had never met would take the time to say hello. I'll admit that it caugh me offguard for awhile and I don't believe much has changed since then.

As an aside, NYC was recently proclaimed "The World's Friendliest City"...go figure.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With me it's situational. Sometimes I make a point of saying "Hello" to every rider I encounter, sometimes I get into a zone and don't. Sometimes I ride where there are just too many other riders and I get tired of saying "Hello" to all of them.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi
    As an aside, NYC was recently proclaimed "The World's Friendliest City"...go figure.
    Were the judges all from Newark or Camden?
    Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BroMax
    Were the judges all from Newark or Camden?
    I heard that the judges were from Baghdad.
    I try to be cheery to one and all when I am riding, including pedestrians. But there are times when I am riding that it turns into a meditation.....bicycles are good for that and on those occasions, sorry, you get nothing back from me.

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Around here it is only 20 something wannabe's and 40 something-never-was in Lance drag that don't return greetings.
    On my frequent after dinner rides on the local MUP . Some evenings I encounter a local right wing radio talk show host who is out walking with his wife. I ignore him and greet his wife in French, she smiles, he frowns. I'm told it has pissed him off enough to add to his latest on-air anti-French rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad
    Around here it is only 20 something wannabe's and 40 something-never-was in Lance drag that don't return greetings.
    On my frequent after dinner rides on the local MUP . Some evenings I encounter a local right wing radio talk show host who is out walking with his wife. I ignore him and greet his wife in French, she smiles, he frowns. I'm told it has pissed him off enough to add to his latest on-air anti-French rant.

I'm lovin' it...keep it up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride with a right wing, conservative person....who happens to also be one of the most generous and kind people I know. Perhaps we shouldn't judge others on opinions, but on personal actions. Why, I suspect there might even be worthy people riding zoot bikes with zoot kit.....

BF50Plussers are old enough to know, if not best, then better.... I'd like to think we hold ourselves to a higher criterion than those sometimes in-your-face twirps on other forums. Nor do we need to be milksop, wishy washy. Just fair.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why hasn't anyone addressed Caruso's original question -- could it be that he has B.O.? I mean, that would explain his observation, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad
    It is the same on the bike paths around here, especially if I am riding my hybrid. But if I take my sweats off and let my prosthetics show, some of the non-greeting roadies change their attitude. One non-greeter in training eyes lit up and gave me the thumbs up sign. Quite the contrast from the first time I passed them.

Riders in training can be too caught up in their exercise or too snobby on their expensive bikes.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta admit, I used to wave but stopped. I am 'in my own world' when on a bike, purging my mind of troubling anger and heavily dispensing all of the days troubles in the wake of my dust settling back down on the road. Good thearapy and no offense for not waving, but getting these troubles off my mind saves me a bundle instead of buying prozac or similar.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast