Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hammerin' the newbie wannabes......

SingleSpeedDemon got me started on this one.... I didn't want to hyjack the other thread.

How many of you have had a young "thinks he's hot" newbie on his brand new "Racing bike" and see a old fat guy (you) turn around and try to hammer past you to show you how fast he is? I get this once or twice a month.... I must look like an easy target or somethin'. But I just love to grab their wheel as they blow buy and then re-pass 'em on a hill..... makes my whole day complete.
    I know.... I'm too competative....that's what Wifey tells me.... but I can't help myself.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes my day too but sometimes ruins my training regimen. I ws in recovery mode the other day when a younger rider blew passed me without so much as a "good Morning". When I saw him make the same turnaround as me I just couldnt resist. I caught him in a couple miles and set back a hundred yars or so to watch him need to get out of his seat to "climb" through an under pass. The look on his face made my day when I passed him at 26 mph. Damn I love this...LOL

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't give a rat's patootie about the speed of other riders--possibly because I'm slower than everybody.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't get to upset mate. This is youthful harmelss play that all mammals
    do at young ages. "Kid's" of all stripe (Puppies, kitties,kids etc.) all want to
    show "mom & dad" how good they are. Just smile and ignore it.

Truth is "WE" probably did the same sillyiness as a youth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It usually doesn't bother me to get passed - obviously there are many riders out there faster and in better cycling shape than me. What bothers me is to get buzzed - passed at really close proximity without warning - and it usually happens when I'm not really trying to ride fast - I'll be just leisurely rolling along checking out shops or sights or whatever when some guy with all the fancy goodies buzzes by me. Not much one can do in that situation except control ones emotions.

In most cases, I like getting passed - and the faster the other rider the better. I like to test myself against them to see just how fast and for how long they are riding and whether I can maintain my interval against them.

I was climbing out of Blue Marsh near Reading, PA one afternoon on my skinny-tired cyclocross when a couple of teens whizzed past me at the base of the hill. I watched as they spun like crazy trying to get up that hill. The hill is a long one, and it took me a good five minutes to catch up to them - but by then, they were all winded and spun out. The look on their face as I slowly rode by was priceless.

It happens once in a while, but, I have to be honest. Most times, when I get passed, the other cyclist is around me to stay, LOL.

Caruso

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grampy™
    SingleSpeedDemon got me started on this one.... I didn't want to hyjack the other thread.

How many of you have had a young "thinks he's hot" newbie on his brand new "Racing bike" and see a old fat guy (you) turn around and try to hammer past you to show you how fast he is? I get this once or twice a month.... I must look like an easy target or somethin'. But I just love to grab their wheel as they blow buy and then re-pass 'em on a hill..... makes my whole day complete.
    I know.... I'm too competative....that's what Wifey tells me.... but I can't help myself.
    Well, here is my read of this.
    I do not know if this "young, thinks he is hot" biker is a newbie. I was going around a park road at my top speed of over twenty miles per hour (uphill). This young biker passed me at, I think, well over 25 MPH.
    I looked at his legs and his riding style and said to me: forget it.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    Well, here is my read of this.
    I do not know if this "young, thinks he is hot" biker is a newbie. I was going around a park road at my top speed of over twenty miles per hour (uphill). This young biker passed me at, I think, well over 25 MPH.
    I looked at his legs and his riding style and said to me: forget it.
    Ahh that is the trick knowing when it's a newbie..... Even then I don't mind getting passed, it's the guys that meet me on the trail and turn around to "ride me into the dust".... Brand new shiney bike, still has the plastic spoke protector on the back wheel, reflectors in the spokes front and back, Toe straps and Nike running shoes, Skinny little calves with no deffinition, brand new Disco Kit and helmet..... not that I mind any of that but when they pass they always look back at me, like they're Lance and I'm Jan...... Trying to give me "the Look".... I think it's "The Look" that gets me....... I just can't help myself. Maybe it is youthful exuberance.... still it's the job of the old to teach the young.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This motivates me to get some slicks on my Boulder SE so that I'm at least going 18 MPH when these road jockeys slipstream past me.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "on my skinny-tired cyclocross"

so what cyclocross bike do you ride? I've been dreaming of building up a Surly CrossCheck...
    centexwoody

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I don't give a rat's patootie about the speed of other riders--possibly because I'm slower than everybody.
    I'll bet you're not. If you lived closer I'd challenge you to a race. Winner buys lunch.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    This motivates me to get some slicks on my Boulder SE so that I'm at least going 18 MPH when these road jockeys slipstream past me.
    Don't bother. MTB's are still slow on the road. Now when you get to that technical climb, covered in tree roots, loose Boulders and a thin slurry of mud on the top, then that is the time to stop- admire the skill of the young riders as he negotiates the hazard, and Give him a word of consolation as you cycle slowly past him while he is trying to get the mud out of his shorts when he fell over in the sticky bits.

Speed is not everything but experience is.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so what cyclocross bike do you ride? I've been dreaming of building up a Surly CrossCheck...
    Surly Crosscheck would be an excellent choice. That bike has soul......
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is a Cannondale Cyclocross Disc. I don't ride Cyclocross - just have the bike. Actually, I went bike shopping with my grown children on Father's Day last year. Explained to the guy at one of the shops what I wanted in a bike - something that would be fast, but not so frail that I wheels would constantly need truing (my arm was just mending from a break that occurred when the newly built rear wheel on my Schwinn LeTour pancaked at 25 mph). I think, either I overstated my need for durability or he figured an old guy like me had no use for a speedy road bike. At any rate, he brought out this C'dale, I rode it and bought it on the spot. I particularly liked the disc brakes (didn't know you could get them on a skinny tired bike) and that extra set of brake levers (my Schwinn has something similar).

When I got the bike home and started riding it, I almost decided to take it back because the gearing wasn't "fast" enough for me. I would quickly run out of pedal on downhills. Instead, took it to another shop where I fit a new bottom bracket, longer crank arms and oversized chain rings. Now it is, for me, the perfect ride - and my kids and I can ride together (one of us on the Schwinn and the other on the C'dale) and neither has a speed advantage.

I see many mentions of the Surly - tell me what's special about it?

Caruso

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    I'll bet you're not. If you lived closer I'd challenge you to a race. Winner buys lunch.
    Now that would be fun! And a free lunch to boot.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    I see many mentions of the Surly - tell me what's special about it?

Caruso
    "Options, that's what. Get yer freak on. Gears? Great. Single speed? No sweat. Commuter? Touring bike? Grocery getter? Bring it on. Or, build it as a bonafide 'cross bike and race it. It likes it."
    Plus, it's steel. A very nice ride for whatever purpose....
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I admit I have indulged in this passtime. Not currently, as I'm nursing my wonky knee...A couple of years ago I was out on my normal round-the-park course, and it was a particularly windy day. I was just doing a warm-up lap when some juicy lad whizzed by, saying something about "love this wind!"

He was oblivious as I tucked in behind him and stayed on his wheel for a couple of turns around the 2.5mile route. I passed him one of the hills, saying "yeah, it's sure blowing..." He looked rather surprised.

My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi
    I don't ride Cyclocross - just have the bike.
    OK, this reminds me of a story, totally off-topic and not even bike related. But, I'm gonna tell it anyway, cuz that's just the kind of idiot I am.

A kid is walking down the main drag in some sea-side town. As he comes up to a bar, a sailor comes walking out. The kid sees the sailor and greets him..

"Hey sailor, I love the Navy, Anchors aweigh, can I have your hat?"

The sailor says, sure, and gives him his dixie cup.

A few blocks later the kid nears another bar where a Marine comes tumbling out the door and ends up face up in the gutter. His uniform is a mess, his face is bloody and the smell of whiskey is all over him. The kid walks over and says..

"Hey Marine, Halls of Montezuma, Leatherneck dude, can I have your hat?"

The drunken Marine squints up and sees the kid with the dixie cup on his head looking eagerly down at him... "Get the F outta here, ya little queer bast@rd!"

The kid is shocked and replies excitedly, "Oh no, I'm not a sailor, I just have the hat!".

Har har...I got a million of em...some are even funny.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like seeing them coming in the rear view mirror. I try as hard as I can to stay ahead of 'em for as long as possible. Once they pass, I lose interest in the race and recover. Occasionally I'll "chase" someone who is far distant. I am generally not responsive to show offs or those who think it particularly special that they are a better cyclist than I. Friendliness is more important than informal competition.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's so special about Surly Crosscheck?

I've been reading a LOT on the web about Surlys. Yes, they are welded in Taiwan from Cro-Moly steel; yes, they are heavier than the Ti frames. BUT the Surly owners of Long Haul Trucker bikes (the touring model) and of the Crosscheck (the cyclocross model) seem to have an unusual loyalty to their machines. The Surly models have hit the market segment as a relatively inexpensive, high-quality steel frame with sufficient attention to detail & ability to put almost any configuration of gears, brakes, etc. on them. The Crosscheck is their only complete bike sold. Corresponded with a rider up in Lubbock who uses his for road riding and is totally satisfied with it. I am not a cyclocross racer and unlikely to ever attempt so. But I do like the concept of a bike frame strong enough to withstand the truly horrible clay soil disruptions of pavement we have here in the Brazos Valley. And the flexibility of being able to build the bike at my LBS (they are actually excited about my getting one!) and then upgrade components as money comes available. My wife & I are saving and will give ourselves new bikes for Christmas - I think mine will be a Surly Crosscheck frame and then built out with the components I select.

Besides, the Surly website appeals to me: do a search on the Cyclocross forum & you'll find a LOT of discussion about them (pro & con). Do a search on the Touring forum & you'll find the loyal LHT website references.
    centexwoody

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many of you have had a young "thinks he's hot" newbie on his brand new "Racing bike" and see a old fat guy (you) turn around and try to hammer past you to show you how fast he is? I get this once or twice a month.... I must look like an easy target or somethin'.
    Grampy,

I rode the Hotter 'N Hell 100 in Witchita Falls a two years ago. It was my first Century. I had been biking again for about 6 months after a hiatus of about 20 years. Never been on an organized ride but was with my friend and very experienced long distance rider Edd.

About 75 miles in, it became apparent to me that a pattern was developing . . . Edd and I were riding well and were with a couple of other decent young riders on nice bikes and well kitted out. We would overtake singles or groups and slowly begin to pull away from them at the same pace at which we had overtaken them. BUT, often, the riders we had overtaken, would bear down, speed up and repass us. Always, they would slow down again within a mile or so and we would pass them again. They would stay passed after the second time.

I mentioned this to Edd and he and the other two riders started laughing. "It's YOU" they said. Look at you! No one wants to be passed by YOU!" "You're fat and old and have grey hair sticking out all over! You have the oldest bike out of the 7000 bikes out here, you have on a loose t-shirt that's flapping about in the wind, and you have a pudding bowl on your head!" And look at that bicycle. A 1968 Peugeot with no decals, rust and mismatched wheels!" They continued: "When you go by someone, they either don't like it, or they think to themselves that if a fat old man can go this fast, then so can they!"

But, they CAN'T.

I didn't know whether to be insulted or be proud.

Tyson

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pudding bowl on your head! that's great, love the image.

actually, I still have my old Bell helmet, except I think mine's a salad bowl, not a pudding bowl.

and when I started riding again (after a 15-20 year layoff) I used a Specialized Helmet that I'd bought in the interim when I was doing a little wishful thinking (if you buy a helmet the bike and legs will follow) except I unknowingly bought a mountain helmet (they didn't exist 20 yrs ago) so I got strange looks from fellow roadies just as if I had a pudding bowl after all.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Peloton Pro, Colnago Master, Vision R40, Volae Club, Raleigh Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SingleSpeedDemon got me started on this one...
    I...feel...so...honored!

It does feel good to ride a beater and keep up with the boys with expensive toys. Of course, I've also been known to race Porsches in my Dodge Caravan.
    My Current Bikes:

• 1993 Giant Kronos
    • 1974 Zeus (in restoration)
    • Cruzbike Silvio