User Tag List

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mexican food is gonna be the death of me!

I been feeling pretty good the last few days, my weight peaked out at 251 about 10 days ago and has dropped now to 244. I rode 25 miles this morning between the thunderstorms . I was looking forward to a light dinner when SWMBO begs to go out for Mexican. Okay I thought I can do this I'll have the chips and salsa and a side of rice. SWMBO wants her usual cheese and chicken enchilada, but the menu has changed!
    So being the loving mate and martyr that I am I suggested we split the enclilada platter. She can have the chicken and cheese and I will eat the bean and beef.
    Arrghhh! two enchildadas and 1/2 a side of beans I was stuffed! I felt so guilty when I got home I went out and rode another 20 miles. I still feel stuffed.
    I dare not enter the bathroom the scale in there stares at me, taunting me...............

jcm
    Gemutlichkeit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... thanks for reminding me that I haven't had Mex in a long time.

"Honey - we're goin' out!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by velonomad
    I been feeling pretty good the last few days, my weight peaked out at 251 about 10 days ago and has dropped now to 244. I rode 25 miles this morning between the thunderstorms . I was looking forward to a light dinner when SWMBO begs to go out for Mexican. Okay I thought I can do this I'll have the chips and salsa and a side of rice. SWMBO wants her usual cheese and chicken enchilada, but the menu has changed!
    So being the loving mate and martyr that I am I suggested we split the enclilada platter. She can have the chicken and cheese and I will eat the bean and beef.
    Arrghhh! two enchildadas and 1/2 a side of beans I was stuffed! I felt so guilty when I got home I went out and rode another 20 miles. I still feel stuffed.
    I dare not enter the bathroom the scale in there stares at me, taunting me...............
    Velonomad and Big Paulie...separated at birth!!!
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-02-06 at 10:39 PM.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm right there with you on the Mexican food thing. Just keep bringing it and I'll keep eating it......If you want to throw in some margaritas that is fine with me.

The next few days are rough going though getting the weight back in check.

Yet another vegan biker
    My Bikes
    Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I thought I can do this I'll have the chips and salsa and a side of rice.
    Mexican food can really be slimming. I often have huge taco salads -- lots of salsa, onions, peppers, lettuce and with about a cup of kidney beans, a shredded softshell tortilla and a few chips. In fact it was a regular meal as I dropped from the 317 I weighed in January of 2005 to the 215 I'm at today.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silversmith
    Mexican food can really be slimming.
    Especially if it goes straight through you. Sennapods work just aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lay off the starches & enjoy a grilled steak, salad, salsa - here in TX we're finally getting Mexican food restaurants that offer non-starchy entrees with 'barracho beans' instead of refried, avocado/lettuce/tomato salad instead of rice, a thin grilled porterhouse beefsteak or thin chuleta.

it's all the fried stuff that kills the calorie-counting...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you're on the right path. More miles is the answer. Oh, but wait. I guess that depends on if you eat to ride or ride to eat. Mexcian, Italian, French, Chinese, Greek, PA Dutch...... I've got a weak spot for all of 'em.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    History professor used to tell us Mexico's food was the reason it was never a world power. He didn't appreciate any discussion that climate may also have played a factor.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my biggest concerns in moving to Arkansas was a lack of good Mexican food. I knew I had nothing to fear several days after arriving when I heard an SUV with Norteño music blasting. There are a number locally. Señor Tequila's is great. I want to check out some that advertise on the local Univision, like Super Taqueria.

But the best Mexican I've ever had is Teresa's Cafe on Towne St. in Indio, CA. It's a hole in the wall, but it's been around for over 50 years. The food is completely authentic. They even still use lard.

Second best is Macario's on Indio Blvd. in Indio. More civilized with killer margaritas and a guitarist, it's where we usually took visitors.