Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just Curious...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Just Curious...

Old 06-29-06, 10:14 PM

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just Curious...

Just wondering how and where everyone rides.
I try to get on the bike each evening for 45 minutes to an hour and ride at a leisurely pace for 8-10 miles. I found a nice spot in the neighborhood that is relatively free of traffic, with beautiful homes on tree lined streets and with nice smooth blacktop...four or five loops around with the wind whistling through my helmet and the sound of the tires humming and I'm satisfied.
Most people, at least those that frequent this forum, seem to ride much longer routes than I do and I'm just curious about your routine. If you decide to ride 30 miles do you head out for 15 miles and then back or do you pick a 2 mile loop and do 15 reps? I guess part of it depends on whether you live in an urban or rural area and the type of traffic you have to put up with.
Even though my personal routine is repetitious, I enjoy the serenity of a quiet neighborhood and a smooth road.
Anyway, like I said...just curious.

Last edited by SemperFi; 06-29-06 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I try to ride to work and back each day with a couple of different detours that give me a total of 15 miles or more. On weekends I try to ride at least 30 and longer. Last weekend I did a Saturday ride of 100 miles for the first time. This weekend, I hope to travel over to the Napa Valled and ride through the wine country. I like to seek out new areas and rides as much as possible.
Old 06-29-06, 10:44 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have several regular routes that start and end at home. They are from 6 to 35 miles and are on a 4 lane state highway with a wide paved bike lane or on rural 2 lane roads where I see less than 1 car per mile on a busy day. Some have hills and some are mostly flat. I just choose what appeals to my energy level and according to the weather.

Dogbait
Old 06-30-06, 12:10 AM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SeFi,

I live in a rural Oklahoma "city" of 6,500 people. The County Seat is 25 miles away at Stillwater, a college town with Okla.St.U. (pop. including students is about 40,000) There are much smaller communities around, also.

Our group rides on one weeknight a week sees 20 of us going on 2-lane roads (some with shoulders ) to these various places for dinner and laughs. We truck the bikes home long after dark. My three good riding buddies and I ride other times the same routes. Some are "out and backs" others are big circuits. Rides are generally 25 - 40 miles but easily changed to suit our needs.

Always we laugh that we are riding neat routes in pretty countryside 5 minutes ride from our houses without the need to haul our bikes anyplace. We are all college educated professionals who have traded decent big city salaries for lifestyle. A "living wage" would be nice, but then I'd be living somewhere else.

Tyson
Cushing, Oklahoma
Old 06-30-06, 12:12 AM

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take a 16 mile bike ride
about 6 times a week but
it is getting such that even
though there are hills on that
route I don't feel I am getting
a full workout without going farther.

I tend to try and find ways to make
a 20 mile trip out of going to the grocery
store with my utility bike. (EZ-1 with Basket)

I occasionally will take the Light
Rail for about 40 miles and ride
my bike back home for exercise.

I also have various and sundry length trips
I can take from my house and often times
even if I have ridden to a night meeting I
will turn my bike in the opposite direction
of home and ride about 10 miles and then
double back for home so as to get a nice
extra bit of exercise.

Night Riding is the best, and I really
enjoy it now that summer has come
to Southern California.

I have decent lights front and back on
both my bikes and feel comfortable doing
as many miles at night as I wanna, although
it has taken me a few years to get up the
guts to ride long distances on busy streets
at night. But mainly it is cool and at dusk
you get that glow of blueish purple on the
horizon with streaks of pink and white some
portion of a full moon and it makes for a
very joyous ride.

I don't ride around 2 mile circles.
Even when I weighed 240 lbs and
couldn't ride very far I set a goal of
riding a 10 mile course and just worked
on bettering my time, and then adding
more miles after that.
Old 06-30-06, 05:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last week I rode for an hour to an hour and a half twice a day (in between thunderstorms and painting a condo). Now I'm back out in the "sticks" so I'm confined to my exercise bike (my momma may have raised a fool but not a damn fool).

I was riding on concrete city streets. I had various "loops" that I strung together until I had to go to work or it got dark.

Newer developements have smoother streets so... I'm a carpenter and I was continually amused at how developer/ builders are mixing architectural items from various periods on one house. Isn't vinyl siding grand? My favorite has at least one element from every period I can think of except tudor! I enjoy the "scenery" and kept adding and changing loops.

How many miles? Who knows. Maybe I'll get an speedometer/ odometer some day and find out. Or maybe even a gps doodad if it will also work in my pocket.

Bob
Old 06-30-06, 05:50 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I live right on a bike path/MUP, and can head out to a variety of routes where I can ride (out and back) from 1 to 150 miles or more, with crossing a street perhaps an average of once every five miles or so, depending on the route chosen.

My typical ride is about an average of 25 miles with a range of 15-35 miles. I ride generally 5 times per week, taking long walks on the other two days. My wife likes to ride as as often as possible. Those rides with her are generally shorter and slower, but often I continue riding when she goes home.

I also take the bike to other starting points in the metro area.

I lead rides on Monday for our church seniors and those are typically from 15-30 miles.

Here is a map showing just the major trails I ride. The trail near my house now goes 10 miles further south than shown on this map. One day the trail by my house will connect to the north to Cherry Creek Reservoir. They are building a new MUP bridge there right now. The trail system is always being expanded. There are many other trails:

Here is a July schedule for the bike rides I lead. These are all on trails:

July 3rd - walk and potluck

July 10th
Moderate Bicycle Ride
8:00 am
Bring lunch
Willow Creek Trail. Ride the beautiful Willow Creek Trail from Douglas
County into Arapahoe County to the Highline Canal Trail and back. Go UNDER
C-470 and County Line Road!
About 15-20 miles, depending. Very easy except for a couple of very short
steep hills. This follows Willow Creek through a variety of open space. 2
porta potties

July 17th
Easy Bicycle Ride
Bring sack lunch
8:15 am
From the park across the street from the church north to the new Cherry
Creek bridge in Cottonwood and return.
Meet at the Eastbank Park.
Flat except for one very short steep hill. Feel free to walk up hill. About
15 miles round trip.

July 24th
Moderate Bicycle Ride
We will eat at Fazolis
8:15 am
Lee Gulch Loop
Loop through the Lee Gulch Trail, Highline Canal, the C470 Trail and the
Platte River Trail.
14 miles. Restrooms along the way
Mtn Bike or hybrid - gravel.

July 31
Very Challenging Bicycle Ride
7:00 am
Please call Denver to confirm.
Northern Trail System. Explore the northern metro trail system. Cherry
Creek Trail to Confluence Park N. on the Platter River Trail to 104th passing
the Clear Creek Trail, the Sand Creek Trail and some smaller trails and
return. 60 miles.

This is a very typical bike path, which generally follow waterways throughout the Denver metro area:

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-30-06 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-30-06, 06:12 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I don't get home until 7:00PM so my weekly rides are limited to the town center and back, 8-10 miles depending on the route. It is still a good workout though because I live at the top of a mile long 12% grade hill. On weekends the wife and I try to hit one of the trails and do 20-30 miles.

Once in a while, usually when I have a weekday off, I will just head for the hills from my house and see where I end up.

The spring weather here has been really crappy so my milage is not what I would like.
Old 06-30-06, 06:20 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually get home from work around 4:30, m-f and ride three times a week of 23-30 miles.
Sunday with a 50-75 miler.
every other week i have to work Sat. so sometimes the mileage is around 80 miles for that paticular week
Old 06-30-06, 06:29 AM

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bulk of my miles are in my commute to/from work - with my most common route it is 14 miles to work, and 15.7 miles home (I take a different route home because of traffic conditions). When I do a recreational ride I tend to do a loop which will give me the total mileage that I am looking for, but gives me a variety of scenery.
Old 06-30-06, 06:38 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 10.75x2 loop in my area that I ride 4 days a week after work. On Sundays I do a group ride that rides on the streets in the area for 40mi at 7:30a.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-30-06, 06:41 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
When Ilived in California my usualride was a loop around the neighborhood, as I could quit twice per loop if I needed, I liked the peaceful feling knowin I was never a mile from home.

I actually got to the point where I stopped and talked to a few of the regulars along the route, and often got waves...

Another reason for that loop was I didn't want to climb any hills, and I lived in a flat neighborhood.

Each loop was 2.5 miles, and I would do at least 4 loops, and did do up to 10...

I had other routes, but that was my reguar ride, and worked because it was right outside my front door.

I haven't established the same pattern here in PA, but I have a 20 mile loop that is my most common. Shorter rides are usually out and back along a portion the loop... There is a shortage of roads here that I consider good for cycling around the neighborhood. I don't ride nearly as often as I used to.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-30-06, 09:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgregory57
I liked the peaceful feling knowin I was never a mile from home.
This is an interesting point. Whenever I go on long rides...80 to 100 miles...I'm more worried about my distance from home than the effort of the ride.
Old 06-30-06, 11:43 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I typically do loops from the house that are 30 to 100 miles. I also have a very flat route that I do from the house thast is an out and back and is 20 miles long. I also do lots of organized rides that are 60-100 miles and they are typically either loops or "lollipops"-where you go out about 8-10 miles, do a loop and then come back in on the same section you went out on.
Old 06-30-06, 12:09 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SemperFi
Just wondering how and where everyone rides.
I try to get on the bike each evening for 45 minutes to an hour and ride at a leisurely pace for 8-10 miles. I found a nice spot in the neighborhood that is relatively free of traffic, with beautiful homes on tree lined streets and with nice smooth blacktop...four or five loops around with the wind whistling through my helmet and the sound of the tires humming and I'm satisfied.
Most people, at least those that frequent this forum, seem to ride much longer routes than I do and I'm just curious about your routine. If you decide to ride 30 miles do you head out for 15 miles and then back or do you pick a 2 mile loop and do 15 reps? I guess part of it depends on whether you live in an urban or rural area and the type of traffic you have to put up with.
Even though my personal routine is repetitious, I enjoy the serenity of a quiet neighborhood and a smooth road.
Anyway, like I said...just curious.
Offroad I am lucky as within 6 miles of home I hit the South Downs- a chalk ridge that goes from sea level to 250 metres and the number of trails over this ridge means that 2 miles on the road and I am on trails for anything from 12 miles to 65 miles in a circular route. I do not like out and back but If I do go say to Devils ****- 35 miles from home- I can vary the route so that back is mostly different to out. Like to do around 30 miles as an average ride with hopefully 3 x 15% hills and a few long slopes.
Now I have a very good cafe that is 12 miles away by Cycle path and I do this as a quick ride to stretch the legs but that is straight out and back- but downhill out and a bit of a long slope back.

Couple of pictures of the hills and trails I ride, but They don't alaways look this good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Downs view.JPG (38.8 KB, 12 views)
sdwcocking.JPG (28.8 KB, 13 views)
DSC00032.JPG (58.0 KB, 11 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 06-30-06, 12:21 PM
Not So Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favourite route takes me along the Welland Canal that links Lake Ontario with Lake Erie for shipping traffic. It's a paved multi use path that is 25 miles long. I live approx 6 miles from the path but can access from another bike path that follows Lake Ontario to the canal. For me it's a great ride since there is no vehicle traffic except at the road crossings and the scenery is great as you are always surrounded by water and trees. I go for a 20 mile ride or a 50 miler, whatever my mode and body will endure.
The path is part of the Greater Niagara Circle Route that is approx 90 miles and another great ride that I was able to do last year as part on my first century. Where else can you ride along 2 great lakes and then thru the mist of Niagara Falls all in one day. If you can every get this way drop me a line and we'll go for a ride.

Old 06-30-06, 01:01 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My route most weekdays is 15 miles each way to work and back. Weekend routes vary tremendously, but I try to avoid hard out-n-backs, I like to take one route to wherever I'm going, if I even know where I'm going, then try another route to get back.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-30-06, 01:12 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Southern California (Orange County). During the weekends, I have unlimiting riding possibilities. I like to do Loops and usually do 25 - 30 miles on Saturday and maybe 50 miles or so on Sunday (if I'm not mountain biking). I ride alot during the week after work usually between 15 - 25 miles depending on how late I get home and how much time I have to ride. Since people are focusing on getting home after work and not particularly looking out for cyclist, I tend to use alot of bike trail which, fortunately in Orange County, there are lots of and good ones too. I also live in the foothills so my favorite rides (when it's not too hot out) is to go up into the hills and do some country roads (yes even in OC there are country roads!). I'm really trying to mountain bike more and I have lots of very nice riding areas nearby such as Peter's, Weir, limestone and Blackstar Canyons. The MTB rides are typically 8 - 15 miles or so depending on difficulty, heat etc.
Old 06-30-06, 01:38 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mon through Fri, I have a set route that I try to ride 3-4 times per week. It is 15.85 miles and takes me through a mixed bag of hills, inclines a few dales and some flats. It's a good all around exercise ride. Using the same route allows me to track performance. I keep records on an excel spreadsheet.
On weekends I head to the west of Winston Salem to the rolling country of Yadkin County. Great open roads with rolling hills, very little traffic.
Old 06-30-06, 01:39 PM
Love to ride!

Bikes: 2010 Allegra 2X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a paved trail that runs alone a drainage creek. It's 13 miles round trip. There are some neighborhoods that insersect, where I can get more miles without traffic.

Average for me is 15 miles for now. 4-5 time a week.
Old 06-30-06, 01:48 PM

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute 4 days out of every week via bicycle....12.6 miles each way here in SW Fl.....this time of year the evening commute is usually more "interesting" with the typical thunder storm patterns prevalent here. I usually drive in on Fridays, because I like to "wander" on Saturday mornings for 40-60 miles.....depending upon the weather, the headwinds, my "to-do" list at home, visiting kids and grandkids, etc. I try to go different routes and different directions each time, discover a new neighborhood, a new shortcut, a "shortcut" that is 2+ miles longer, (some shortcut!) etc., etc. As you notice, I call my saturday trips "wanders", not trips......

Semper Fi
Old 06-30-06, 03:27 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I try to average at least 100 miles a week, but tend to get 150. That means 3 - 5 rides, sometimes solo, sometimes with friends. These days most rides are 25-30 miles with a 50 miler thrown in every few days. I live in the rural mountains, have several different rides, with out'n'backs and loops, always a hill or two.
Old 06-30-06, 03:41 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I have an easy bike commute (~30 miles per week) that I have done nearly every work day for the last 24 years. On Sunday mornings I usually get in an ~70 mile ride before the family is fully awake. This ride varies, but is almost always around that distance. The rest of my riding depends on how I can schedule my time, but I can usually find space in there for two or more 25 to 35 miles rides during the week.
Old 06-30-06, 03:51 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
My rides are short, after work I ride about 3 to 11 miles, depending on the course I choose. On the weekends I try to ride a MTB trail. Usually about 4 miles, but they're fairly rugged. I ride about 3-4 times per week. But my neophyte road biking is about to change as one of the experienced road cyclists at work has invited me to join one or two others for a road ride and another group of 4 to 8 cyclists are establishing a MUP ride of about 11 miles.
Old 07-01-06, 03:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I live right on a bike path/MUP
DnvrFox:
How far is Denver from Central City. My daughter is out there for the summer (8-weeks) and I'm wondering 1) how good are the riding opportunities there and 2) would I be able to rent a decent bike.

Thanks.

Caruso

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.