Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4th of July and no biking!

Late last week, I noticed my ears were beginning to stop up. Oh, I've been here before. I start using hydrogen peroxide and letting my wife try to flush them out. All to no avail as the ear aches began. Wow, how these can send you into "little kid" mode!

Yesterday, I felt pretty stopped up but not in a lot of ear pain. I hadn't slept that well but thought we might have caught it in time since I couldn't see the Doctor until Monday. Went out for a ride and about 10 miles in, all I could here was the blood pulsing in my head and then the ice pick pain in my right ear. On to the house for some thumb sucking with my head in my wife's lap.

Well, the Doc today took the firehose to my ears followed by the pick axes knocking things out of my scull I swear should still be there. Makes you pucker so much, you could ride a 1x2 and sit right on top! It's thought to be an inherited problem (my oldest son has had some problems too). They are not sure if alergies or what brings it on but I end up with waxy build up behind the ear drum that turns into little burrs that scratch and infect the inner ear.

Antibiotics and home flushing....and no riding until it clears! He's worried about the pressure put on the inner ear during exercising. Wow who wants to drive anywhere on the 4th? I do notice a lack of balance if I turn my head quickly though, So I will give it a couple of days.

Maybe someone would run an "Ear Wax 100" in my memory tomorrow.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clean every day with Q-tips. I know the conventional wisdom says "don't," but I've been doing it for most of my 53 years now with no injury and no problem with buildup. Hope you get better soon!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have the wax build up but get an irritaion that drives me nuts. Q tips may not be the done thing but I have to use an anti-hystamein cream on the Q tips to keep it at bay. Funnily enough- this irritation started about 20 years ago, Ever since the hair on my head started to reverse grow and come out of the ears instead.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha, yeah I've got the same thing going with the hair...even in the nose. Did you know that your ears and nose never quit growing?

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turtleguy54
    Ha ha, yeah I've got the same thing going with the hair...even in the nose. Did you know that your ears and nose never quit growing?

You're kidding, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stapfam: "Ever since the hair on my head started to reverse grow and come out of the ears instead."

a good barber can help you with that...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.