Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sword Fight With Zorro

I just returned and looked at post of My Last Ride For A While and see that over 20 of my friends here at BF left me with good wishes for my surgery. I really appreciate all the kind words from you guys. I swear, one of these days we're going have to plan a BF50+ get together for a Mass Pie Ride.

The title to this thread reflects one of those answers, as if on the game contest Jeopardy....What happened to my right shoulder? It's all cut up.

As luck would have it, on my last ride last week, I had my first road flat in I don't know how long after about 15 miles. The tire was damaged also. I changed the tube, put a boot in the tire using a tire patch and a dollar bill, and started home. Two miles later I had another flat, same place. Patched the tube, checked the tire again, made it another mile and flatted again. At this point I gave up and hitched a ride home. So much for the long ride before surgery. I don't believe in omens but perhaps I should.

Drove over to the city last Wednesday, got checked in, and had rotator cuff surgery on Thursday morning. The tear was much worse than the initial MRI suggested, about 2+ inches across the right ligament/tendon group. Also, several bone spurs. All told, the surgery took two hours. My wife brought me back home Thursday night, as we live about 90 miles away from Abilene, Tx, where the surgery was. Then the catheter for the pain medicine for self medication came out so it was off to the emergency room at our local hospital to try and get the catheter back in place, with no luck. By late Thursday night the plumbing had not started working so it was back to the emergency room for another catheter to drain the bladder. A fairly miserable experience it was. This is one of the disadvanatages of today's do-it-yourself day surgery, particualarly if you live in a smaller town.

On Friday I went to my local doctor who changed all the bandages, pulls all the catheters, gives me another pain prescription, and generally helps me get over the surgery. I spent the weekend tied to the beer cooler/ice water circulation pump and shoulder pad trying to keep the swelling down. It is amazing how many colors bruised flesh can show. Why, its a veritable spectrum of the rainbow.

Today was much better. I even went to the office for an hour or two to check the emails and pick up the papers. Then I spent a hour in physical therapy. Life may return to normal.

I'm typing pretty slow, right arm is in a sling, adn the bikes are gathering dust. But I wanted to let my friends know that I am again checking BF. Will probably spend more time here this week.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

".............. and then the wheels came off"
    Last edited by Monoborracho; 07-03-06 at 10:11 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to have you "back" on the road to wellness, and glad all those trials are over. Best wishes for a speedy recovery-- which will be complete when you take that first ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monoborracho,

A good pal of mine, a serious cyclist, was in a skiing accident early last winter. He tore his rotator cuff and went into surgery soon after. He was quite concerned about missing most of the '06 cycling season at the time but things have went well. He was able to train for and complete Bike Virginia and has resumed his regular riding. The only complaint he has is the arm still hurts when he tries to raise it and it won't raise all the way yet, but it does not affect his cycling.

Best wishes for your recovery

Louis

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, here's hoping for a speedy recovery! I presume you've got beer on the ice in the water circulation/cooler, right? Sure hate to see a good cooler full of ice go to waste.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    Yes, here's hoping for a speedy recovery! I presume you've got beer on the ice in the water circulation/cooler, right? Sure hate to see a good cooler full of ice go to waste.
    Depends on how intense the Pain is- Beers OK for a gentle nag- Martini's for a pain but for a real man in agony- the ice cooler comes into its own for Crushed Ice with a liberal shot of Brandy poured over it.

Hope the recovery goes well but remember- Brandy is medicinal. All those St. Bernards can't be wrong. Do Ice packs still work from the inside?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yikes Mono!! You've really been through the ringer! Hang in there! The good news is that the surgery was definitely needed and you should be a lot better after the mending and therapy!

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of life's true miracles is the ability of the human body to heal. When you're back in the saddle, let's arrange that pie ride!
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.