Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Overcoming Negative Thinking (Take Two) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/208205-overcoming-negative-thinking-take-two.html)

Big Paulie 07-05-06 04:01 AM

Actually, I'm on Australian time! I'm doing some consulting work for a guy at Newcastle University, so I'm up to all hours e-mailing stuff back and forth. They just finished their Wednesday work day, and I'm really tired!

pastorbobnlnh 07-05-06 04:08 AM

Go to bed. Get some sleep! Then go for that long ride!

old99 07-05-06 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Predominately flat, with some rolling hills. Maybe start well north of Santa Barbara, and end up in Malibu. Ride along the coast, with tail wind in the afternoon.

SLO is a good place to start but I'd stay on 1 south of Pismo. 101 is nothing but a freeway but 1 goes through small towns and rolling hills and Vandenberg. South of Lompoc (at Gaviota park) you pick up 101 again to go into SB. I know that there's another way into SB to the east of 101 but it's really hilly. This would be a great winter ride--heavy fog is always a possibility in summer.

Big Paulie 07-06-06 07:55 PM

Let me throw this out for you to ponder, Gary.

If you could transform a 63 mile into the fun and comfort of a 30 mile ride, and do it for a one-time cost of $100, would you do it?

Jaguar27 07-06-06 09:10 PM

Well done Mate!! I'm proud of you....

There are times in life when you just can't let NT get the better of you and that was a great example...

I think the turning point in my life was in 2000, to cut a long story short, my Wife was diagnosed with Cancer and had to undergo major emergency surgery, after we left the Dr's I made up my mind that there was no other way but to face what was in store for us, there was no alternative....
Anyway, it turned out that the Surgery and six week recovery didn't turn out well, the Cancer was back and we had to go through the whole thing again....the first time I was scared, the second time I was terrified...obviously my Wife was too because she knew exactly what to expect next time...and it turned out to be worse than the first...
I know it wasn't ME going through the pain but I may as well have been as those who have been through the same thing can probably understand...

What does this have to do with Cycling you might ask, well, that was the first REAL trial of my life, a time when you have to find a massive amount of strength you never even knew was in you....

So after that approach everything in life, especially my Cycling, with the same attitude....when I start a Century or am at the bottom of a Climb (I did Mt Haleakala in Maui last March) I always say to myself "I have to do it, there's no alternative" it always gets me to the end of the ride or the top of the Hill....

Mind over matter, it's amazing.

Digital Gee 07-06-06 10:19 PM

If you could transform a 63 mile into the fun and comfort of a 30 mile ride, and do it for a one-time cost of $100, would you do it?

I'm not sure I understand the premise behind your question, but, taking it at face value, sure, I'd do it. Why not? Now, that means I think you're asking if I could buy a bike for $100 that would smooth out that 63 miles, make them easier, right? If that's not what you're asking, then I have no answer.

I don't want to *settle* for 30 miles rides, however. Although the longer ones are tough at the moment, I like the feeling of pride and accomplishment that comes from completing them. And as i look back on that metric, the physical side just wasn't that tough, it was the mental side that challenged me. I was worn out, sure, but I was NOT sore (except for my back which knotted up for a day).

As I look back, I fully, completely, 100% believe that had my goal been 70 miles, I would have ridden 70 miles, not 63. My paradigm was 63, so that's what I believed was possible. I'm convinced tonight that I had at least 7 more miles in me, physically. But having set the goal at 63, my brain wouldn't allow me to believe anything longer than that was possible.

It's like that story about Roger Bannister's 4 minute mile. Until he did it, no one believed a human could that. Once he did it, dozens were turned in shortly afterwards. Right now, my "4 minute mile" is like surpassing a metric century.

Big Paulie 07-06-06 10:28 PM

http://www.boure.com/1102.html

This will make a world of difference in your mental and phsyical perspective. You will ride longer, faster and more often. You will lose more weight. You will meet beautiful women. Beautiful women will ask themselves, "I wonder what's underneath that chamois liner?" Dude, this is the cheapest and easiest way to elevate your cycling.

Size XL for you...

Digital Gee 07-06-06 11:41 PM

That's a slippery slope, BP. Next you'll be suggesting jerseys, and bike socks, and so on and so forth. I will not stand for it! :D

Big Paulie 07-06-06 11:52 PM

My entire life has been one, big slippery slope, so don't go there! ;)

cyclezen 07-07-06 01:03 AM

seems to me that the reason I might ride the 63 is for the additional 33 miles of 'content'. having it be "the fun and comfort of a 30 mile ride" seems inconsequential, short changed, not the point...
so, $100 better spent on tire stock to hang in your closet and age properly...

Garfield Cat 07-07-06 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jaguar27
Well done Mate!! I'm proud of you....

There are times in life when you just can't let NT get the better of you and that was a great example...

I think the turning point in my life was in 2000, to cut a long story short, my Wife was diagnosed with Cancer and had to undergo major emergency surgery, after we left the Dr's I made up my mind that there was no other way but to face what was in store for us, there was no alternative....
Anyway, it turned out that the Surgery and six week recovery didn't turn out well, the Cancer was back and we had to go through the whole thing again....the first time I was scared, the second time I was terrified...obviously my Wife was too because she knew exactly what to expect next time...and it turned out to be worse than the first...
I know it wasn't ME going through the pain but I may as well have been as those who have been through the same thing can probably understand...

What does this have to do with Cycling you might ask, well, that was the first REAL trial of my life, a time when you have to find a massive amount of strength you never even knew was in you....

So after that approach everything in life, especially my Cycling, with the same attitude....when I start a Century or am at the bottom of a Climb (I did Mt Haleakala in Maui last March) I always say to myself "I have to do it, there's no alternative" it always gets me to the end of the ride or the top of the Hill....

Mind over matter, it's amazing.

In your turning point of your life, where did you turn to?

fthomas 07-07-06 12:52 PM

Digital Gee - thanks for the great post and encouraging commentary on your ride and thoughts!

Please extend my congradulations to your parents! What a legacy they have created in their son!!

Now that is an accomplisment that truly lasts!