I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Independence Day...

Here in the States we're celebrating Independence Day today and I think it lends itself to a great theme for a thread (for anyone, by the way).

For example, yesterday I was able to send a big check to pay off my auto loan 18 months early, and now I'm independent of car payments. After leasing four cars in a row, and then deciding to buy this one, I'm finally going to be without a car payment for the first time in 18 years. Whoa!

Once I get over that shock, perhaps i can put a virtual car payment or two aside for my new bike fund.

Where are you discovering the joy of independence lately?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    on my bike, riding through the countryside, is where my greatest sense of independence occurs...

my son turned 18 today & his 'sense of independence' is palpable: getting his own checking acct, registering to vote, going to Selective Service to get a draft card, etc. He's been looking forward to turning 18 all year and I've never tried to dissuade him that the privilege of being tried as an adult is part of the panoply of 'privileges' he's gained.

BTW, Gary, congrats on your honoring your folks' anniversary - very cool, indeed
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I celebrated my freedom from some acute back pain by riding my age five times in one week while on vacation. (Just don't ask me my speed).
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rode with Wifey today.... ran into the rude couple she dropped a while back... they were as nice as could be to us. So we were in turn. Lesson learned. We even visited a bit over a couple bottles of Gatorade and found out this was their first year of bikin' and they were "learning the ropes". We even shared some of our favorite ridin' spots with 'em.

Got home and mowed the lawn..... (I certainly got my exercise today) Now I can ride all week guilt free. I'm off the rest of the week, forecast is for nothin' but sunny skies........ I'm ridin' baby!
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Birthday US of A!!!

Back to the OP........would my kids gaining more and more of their independence qualify?? I'm proud of them and glad to see them continue to grow.

(except for the boys they bring home..........)