User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke
    A man has got to know when to jump. bk
    Hands buried in pockets, trying to read his destiny on the wet, neon glimmering sidewalk, Fred walked wrapped in his own dark thoughts. Rounding a corner, he saw a lovely young woman surrounded by wild-eyed men. She was young, and fresh, and beautiful. Their eyes met and a thousand stars crossed, a thousand questions were answered, and a thousand needs were met. Her glance beckoned to Fred with promise and hope of a final consumation. Suddenly, a burly, rough-handed man lunged and grabbed the young woman. Her eyes plead with Fred. He began to think. What if she was the wrong one? What if he should meet a better? What if the cost of their union was too great? Answering "No" to all, Fred looked up ready to act........and she was gone.

Fred buried his hand in his pockets and walked. The deserted, glimmering sidewalk held visions of what might have been.

DG.....you've been thinking (and chasing the wrong chicks) for a year. Go ride some others in that price class....like Paulie, my steel Romulus is a magic carpet-- to me. Go compare some bikes that compete with the Pilot. Eventually, as "bk" says, you've got to make some decision. Sometimes, all our "discussion" needlessly constipates the decision process.

There is no final, perfect marriage partner. You find a good one that seems to feel good to you and is made of a material you think you like-- and you make sure she fits-- and then go ride the heck out of her and have long and happy life together. Same with bikes. Rant over.
    Last edited by CrossChain; 07-04-06 at 10:54 PM.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all for the amazing words of advice and wit.

I really don't mean to belabor this forum with my purchase (in)decision -- really I don't! In fact, I had resolved not to mention it again until I brought one home and then I'd show her off to everyone.

But, today, I rode a magnificent bike that just destroyed my paradigm of what a bike is supposed to feel like and be. I was startled because it was so unexpected. A bike is a bike is a bike, or so I thought, although some are lighter, or shift more easily, or have prettier paint.

Now truth be told I have no idea if this is the bike for me. Given my finances, it's an awful lot of money at at time when I'm inching forward on some old debts. And with two kids in high school, there are expenses that come before my self indulgences.

And, I must admit, part of me STILL wonders if I'll stick to cycling, even though I'm more than a year into it, and still loving it every time.

But I'm going to take my purchase deliberations back into lurk mode, and I will try more bikes in this range, and try some steel bikes as well. I'm under no pressure; my current steeds, while not fancy still bring a smile and I'm getting plenty of exercise. Perhaps when the fall season looms, and the stores are clearing out their 2006 and remaining 2005 bikes, I'll make the plunge. Perhaps I'll do it next week -- who can say for sure?

But the last thing I want is for people here to get sick of reading about my (in)decision about which bike to get, so I'm going to take that back into lurk mode out of respect for this forum.

That said, I'm still shaking my head at the way that bike felt. I just didn't know it was even possible. I thought all that talk was marketing hype. Not so!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, if there's a Giant dealer in your area, give the OCR a try. They are smooth riding bikes, and the bars are closer to the seat like the Pilot.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Paulie. Amen.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary,

I felt the same way about the Roubaix and the Roubaix Elite that I rode. Before going on my ride today, I stopped into the shop and stared at it some more. It may take me a little longer, but I will have it. If you can buy it now (whichever you decide on) do it! You won't regret it.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    +1 Paulie. Amen.
    Hey CrossChain, aka GrannyGear, I'm supposed to word the Benediction!

Gary, before you buy carbon fiber today, head the words of BP and CC, and read my thread "Riding with Charlie...." While I've never been on a CF bike, it's not what makes you fast.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    There is no final, perfect marriage partner. You find a good one that seems to feel good to you and is made of a material you think you like-- and you make sure she fits-- and then go ride the heck out of her and have long and happy life together. Same with bikes. Rant over.
    And isn't it funny how a guy will choose a wife in the kind of light he wouldn't use to select a bicycle?
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go on buy it, well worth the money, make it an on going life experience, otherwise there will always be regrets of not fullfilling the lust of owning a carbon bike.
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go on give in to the lust factor ,you will have no regrets.
    You can caress it during and after every ride, running your hands along the smooth fine lines, gaze at it with star struck eyes, wisper words of encouragment as you mount the frame and ride off into the distance with a smile.
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

My Bikes
    Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, It all boils down to what makes you happy and when you want to enhance that happiness. You enjoy riding, regardless of which bike, you enjoy doing it. If the bike you test rode gives you a different perspective on riding, then by all means buy the bike. You will find as you progress through your obsession, this will not be the last bike you buy. I now have carbon, steel, titanium, aluminum, and scandium. I enjoy riding each and every one of them. Do I need them all? Absolutely not! BUT, it is my hobby, I derive hours of exercise a week from them, and they give me great enjoyment. Don't buy the bike thinking this is the ultimate bike for your needs. Your perspective changes and so will your buying needs. If you try to justify the affordability, you may never buy another bike. It gives you pleasure, it gives you a means of exercise, it gives you a pathway to a healthier lifestyle, it gives you a means of sharing with your children and friends. Priceless!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Serotta.
    Gary - seems to be a bit of risk & reward scenario. The risk is the short term cash flow but the reward is long term with many miles of enjoyment, physical activity, etc.. Hey, if you give up the daily Starbucks you can easily afford a 2K carbon, steel or Ti bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jisaak
    Hey, if you give up the daily Starbucks you can easily afford a 2K carbon, steel or Ti bike.
    But if he gives up the Starbucks, he won't have a place to show off his two grand OCP outlay .

Gary,

You need to continue looking at a variety of higher-end bikes, and then just pull the trigger on the one that feels best to you right now. I got back into riding about a year ago after 15+ years pretty much off the bike. I started off riding my early 70's VolksCycle, and was enjoying things in general. But when I put together my Salsa LaRaza, the difference was like night and day as far as perfomance and speed.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my old Frankenbike and the frame geometry is built for long distance touring. But I don't regret what I spent for the LaRaza based on what I get in return....

B'Dog

P.S. - Steel frame and carbon fork/bars, best of both worlds .
    2006 Gary Fisher Marlin MTB
    2004 Salsa LaRaza aka "Mmmm, Blue Salsa" (853 steel is real, baby!)
    2003 Kona Humu Humu Nuka Nuka Apua'A Singlespeed - Gone, but not forgotten
    1998 Diamondback Outlook MTB
    1990 Centurion Cavaletto 'Gaspipe Beater' Roadie
    1978 Volkscycle 'Frankenbike' CroMo Tourer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And worst of all Gary, I remember that thread you started about what could you buy with your new huge credit line.

Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here.... Adams Avenue Bicycles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hee hee... I knew this was gonna happen sooner or later. The Pilot is a very nice bike. And once you ride a Roubaix then you'll really be in a pickle. The question then won't be whether or not to get a carbon bike, it'll be which carbon bike to get. Every single one of us on this forum -- including you, Gary, I suspect -- knows how this is going to come out eventually. It's only a matter of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invest in your own health. Go for it. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG.....either you show us evidence of serious bike searching (i.e. a list of test bikes ridden or better pics of you with a leg over something sweet in a bike shop), or another parable will be unleashed-- in which Fred is sent to Cyclist Damnation: chained to a chair for an eternity while eBay's bike listings continuously loop on a 52" monitor and he has a $10K bill taped to his nose.

Seriously, this is a "belabor" (your word) of love on our part.....keep the info and thoughts flowing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't do it.

I understand that if you ride the CARBON bike outside by yourself ("mono") in air with oxygen ("oxide") you may get a serious case of

carbon "mono""oxide" poisoning.

Stick with steel. It is safer!

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I just test-rode a 2005 Trek Pilot 5.2, full carbon everything. On sale for $2200 or so. After that, everything else I rode was just...another bike. (Even the 7.6 I've drooled over)

I know you guys understand, and I know I'm doomed. Thank God I at least had the presence of mind to say, "I'll have to think about it. That's a lot of money." Then I collected myself, and slunk out of the LBS, to drown my sorrows next door at the Starbucks.

I'm sobbing now. I've never ever ridden anything quite so sweet.
    You're doomed Gary. Might as well give up resisting. But you did the right thing to walk away from that dealer. Don't even mess around with that Trek stuff. Head on over to your localized Specialized dealer get a Roubaix

Steve

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Plus, higher end bikes hold more of their value, so if a financial emergency came up, or you decided you wanted to make a lateral move bike-wise, you have something of value to work with.
    Oooo.... I never even thought of hitting him with the "it's an investment" argument.

Good one, BP! I think I see him teetering on the edge.

Steve

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus, higher end bikes hold more of their value, so if a financial emergency came up, or you decided you wanted to make a lateral move bike-wise, you have something of value to work with.
    PLEASE!!!! BP, don't tell me you really just said this? If DG buys CF, and if CF survives for the next 25-50 years, and if DG buys a relatively low production brand and/or model in CF, (or even in TI or steel), and if it is a collectable model, then when DG is 75+ he might make 10-20% before subtracting maintenance costs. The math just won't work. Don't lead this poor boy astray. Pretty soon he'll have two daughters in college, and he needs them to stay clear of the likes of Gary Diego, Jr.!
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com

dck
    My Bikes
    '62 Peugeot UO8, '63 Schwinn Superior, ;72 Peugeot PX-10, '74 Motobecane LeChampion, '74 Peugeot UO18, '81 Fuji S12-S Mixte
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    And with two kids in high school, there are expenses that come before my self indulgences.
    The wisdom of that thought will give you far greater pleasure than a carbon bike. I know from experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two kids in high school? Try two kids in college. If he only waits, he can finally buy that bike when he's on....Social Security? (If it is still solvent.)

NO, DG needs right now to start jettisoning needless baggage in his budget. Let's start with heating...San Diego has a mild climate. He works from home and so has little need of clothing. This is fun. I'll buy his Canon camera. Etc.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, I apologize to everyone for highjacking this thread.
    Yeah, well....

Just watch it, buddy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by H.J. Diego
    My particular pathology does not respond well to dismissive references like "buddy" with a non-capitalized B.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to fly my long time co-conspirator "Kenny-Boy" from the scene of his faked death in Colorado to Argentina!
    While you're at it say hi to Pooty Poot and Turd Blossom. Don't pretend you don't know who I mean. By the way, don't you think you should apologize to DigitalGee for hijacking his thread?
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour B Diego
    Sir,

As a fellow cat fancier and a man who has been the butt of many-a-joke, I can only say that those who are unfortunate enough to have unpleasant names are deserving of your sympathy.

Pooty Poot and Turd Blossom indeed!!!
    Don't blame me. I didn't nickname my wife "Bushie."

http://www.nndb.com/group/750/000091477/

Do ya reckon we've pretty much destroyed this once-thriving and informative thread?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast