I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Lawd, Save Me! I Just Rode Carbon!!

I just test-rode a 2005 Trek Pilot 5.2, full carbon everything. On sale for $2200 or so. After that, everything else I rode was just...another bike. (Even the 7.6 I've drooled over)

I know you guys understand, and I know I'm doomed. Thank God I at least had the presence of mind to say, "I'll have to think about it. That's a lot of money." Then I collected myself, and slunk out of the LBS, to drown my sorrows next door at the Starbucks.

I'm sobbing now. I've never ever ridden anything quite so sweet.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full Carbon!! Once youv'e tried it there is no substitute!!!
    Last edited by p8rider; 07-04-06 at 05:43 PM.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p8rider
    Full Carbon!! Once youv'e tried it there is not substitute!!!
    I'm telling you, I was not riding a bike, I was floating on air! Add to that I was probably going 3-4 mph faster than usual with no extra effort.

It made me weep.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

On the road again
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is amazing how sweet carbon is, once you ride a carbon frame you are hooked. I have a Specialized Roubaix and it is an awesome ride. When I go back to my Cannondale (which is still a nice ride) I can't wait to get back on carbon.

I hear it calling to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parable: A youthful Fred went into a big city LBS. He had dreamed for what seemed years of the sweet simplicity and integrity of Glenn Close in "The Natural". Her wholesome, gingham grace. But instead, he met up with a fully endowed Big City Woman...every nook, cranny and curve shaped to purring, voluptuous perfection. Her presense beneath him was smooth as silver tears. He rode in her velvety arms until, bewitched by her expensive, crafty touch, he had forgotten the innocent charms of his youthful dreams. He exchanged breeze ruffled gingham for hard, cold carbon. Fred spent the rest of his life slaving in a salt mine earning shekels to fulfill her endless demands.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To tell you the truth, most bikes ride just as well with a good carbon fork as those with all carbon frames.

My Look KG241 DOES ride smooth as silk though. But my aluminum Fuji Newest is hardly detectibly different.

My Colnago Super rode pretty crappy before I replaced the steel fork with a carbon model.

So think about it some. If those two bikes listed are your only bikes though, you really do need a REAL(tm) road bike. Try riding a 1500 first though.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclintom
    To tell you the truth, most bikes ride just as well with a good carbon fork as those with all carbon frames.

My Look KG241 DOES ride smooth as silk though. But my aluminum Fuji Newest is hardly detectibly different.

My Colnago Super rode pretty crappy before I replaced the steel fork with a carbon model.

So think about it some. If those two bikes listed are your only bikes though, you really do need a REAL(tm) road bike. Try riding a 1500 first though.
    I like the geometry of the Pilots a whole lot more than the 1000-1200-1500. The LBS didn't have the cheaper Pilots with carbon forks in my size in the store today, so I want to give those a shake as well. And I'm still going to try for a test on the Specialized Roubaix if they EVER get one in stock in my size! (Different LBS)
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Ain't Easy Being Cheesy CheeseLouise's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Break out the credit card DG! You are caught, hook, line and carbon :-D
    "Bike First"
    "Work Later"

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
    www.bikenaked.net

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HILL SLUG
    Break out the credit card DG! You are caught, hook, line and carbon :-D
    Yeah, and right now, interest free financing with a year to pay without interest. Plus he'll toss in a $50 computer, two water bottles and cages, and pedals. Oh Lord it's going to be a long night.
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - i tried a full carbon bike but it felt 'dead' to me... i'm sure it was a nice bike (Orbea Onyx in the Crayola orange), but i really like my Ti and steel rides...

- i guess i'll have to try some different carbon framesets from other manufacturers?

:-)

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    I'm telling you, I was not riding a bike, I was floating on air! Add to that I was probably going 3-4 mph faster than usual with no extra effort. It made me weep.
    Wanna add an extra 5 mph with no extra effort? - by a recumbent!

My Bikes
    Schwinn Peloton Pro, Colnago Master, Vision R40, Volae Club, Raleigh Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you already bought it...am I right?
    My Current Bikes:

• 1993 Giant Kronos
    • 1974 Zeus (in restoration)
    • Cruzbike Silvio

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two carbons and really enjoy them. Hey, you would not appreciate them as much if it was the only bike you've ever ridden though. I've said it before, you CAN buy a time and performance.....at least to a point.

Ain't Easy Being Cheesy CheeseLouise's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and right now, interest free financing with a year to pay without interest. Plus he'll toss in a $50 computer, two water bottles and cages, and pedals. Oh Lord it's going to be a long night.
    I am having visions of DG at the LBS tomorrow morning. I see DG waiting at the door with his nose pressed against the glass. He is fondly admiring his soon to be new ride. I see him looking at his watch and telling himself only one more hour until they open Then the store manager appears out of nowhere and opens the beloved LBS. DG is overjoyed! He stumbles into the store stuttering "that one" while frantically pointing at the shiny new gleaming carbon fiber chariot! DG happily rides off into the morning dew on his new carbon fiber chariot! I love a great story with a happy ending!

Although, the store manager does ask DG if he could “please clean his drool off the store window”

We want pictures of that new ride, oh and pictures of my vision
    "Bike First"
    "Work Later"

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
    www.bikenaked.net

Experienced Lurker
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my new full-carbon Pilot as an upgrade from a 5 year old TREK 1000. Holy smokes, what a difference; I feel like I can ride carbon all day long. In fact, I can usually make the first 65 miles with no discomfort at all. I dont even have to wear gloves anymore. On the old TREK 1000, I had to have gloves no matter how short the ride was and I was always getting uncomfortable after about 25 miles.

The only problem is my bringing performance up to an acceptable level to ride such a nice bike. Before I was a crappy rider with a crappy bike. Now I am a crappy rider with a super cool bike.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn out the liiiiiiiiiiiights, the party's ooooooooooooveeeeeeeeer........
    Carpe who?

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Parable: A youthful Fred went into a big city LBS. He had dreamed for what seemed years of the sweet simplicity and integrity of Glenn Close in "The Natural". Her wholesome, gingham grace. But instead, he met up with a fully endowed Big City Woman...every nook, cranny and curve shaped to purring, voluptuous perfection. Her presense beneath him was smooth as silver tears. He rode in her velvety arms until, bewitched by her expensive, crafty touch, he had forgotten the innocent charms of his youthful dreams. He exchanged breeze ruffled gingham for hard, cold carbon. Fred spent the rest of his life slaving in a salt mine earning shekels to fulfill her endless demands.
    My life story before I got married, and I'm not talking about bikes....
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AAAHHHH, yes, but the time he spends in the saddle is sweeter than he ever dreamed possible!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    AAAHHHH, yes, but the time he spends in the saddle is sweeter than he ever dreamed possible!
    Says the devil on your left shoulder. The angel on your right shoulder says, "You know you're going to pay, and pay and pay." What to do? What to do? What to do?
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Methinks I'm going to have nightmares tonight... Thanks a lot, CC!
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Says the devil on your left shoulder. The angel on your right shoulder says, "You know you're going to pay, and pay and pay." What to do? What to do? What to do?
    You live but once. Pay and dance, dance, dance.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DG, if you knew how much vicarious pleasure we all have at your excitement, and how much melodrama we get to be a part of as you go up and down with this bike search thing.....we should each buy a ticket and thereby help you pay for the bike!

Except, some of us still have car payments-- unlike SomeOne else. LOL.

Methinks I'm going to have nightmares tonight... Thanks a lot, CC!
    You may toss and turn, but it won't exactly be a nightmare.

So cool, once you bring the Pilot home, we can all start deciding how to "upgrade" La Femme Carbone.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come to the dark side of carbon DG..... OooOOOooOOOOoh come to the dark side of carbooooon. OooOOOoOOoOooOOoh.....
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gary, you found the bike you want, GET IT BEFORE SOMENONE ELSE DOES! It seems like a lot of dinero, but as an investment in your health, it's reasonable. The more you like it, the more you will ride it. Even better for the health. A man has got to know when to jump. bk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Her wholesome, gingham grace. He met up with a fully endowed Big City Woman...every nook, cranny and curve shaped to purring, voluptuous perfection. Her presense beneath him was smooth as silver tears. He rode in her velvety arms until, bewitched by her expensive, crafty touch, he had forgotten the innocent charms of his youthful dreams.
    You ever write for Penthouse, CC???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast