User Tag List

My Bikes
    2006 Giant OCR2 sport, 1990 Diamondback Sorrento
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm All Gummed Up!!

While on my ride in the blistering NJ heat and humididity I encountered the ultimate of road hazards. A freshly laid piece of gooey,gunky,dirt encrusted wad of GUM All I'm really lookin for here, other than the spewer of this yuck stuff of course, is a good method of removing it from my rear brake without using a product that might cause any damage. Thanks in advance for any suggesstions. Other than this, I had a great ride of 30mi. Maybe had it stuck to my saddle I'd still be riding
    1990 Diamondback Sorrento
    2006 Giant OCR2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold an ice cube in contact for several minutes. Gum then breaks apart into lumps which can be cleanly picked off.

Works on clothes/furniture...pretty well.

Al

Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
    My Bikes
    '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or if you don't mind wasting a Co2 cartridge, you can blast the gum with that-- freezes it in seconds.
    The best libertarian podcast on the internet! freedomainradio.com

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WD-40 is suppose to remove gum.... although I'd be carefull around your brake pads. It will not hurt your paint though.... it's also good for taking bugs and grime off your frame.
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    1984 Miyata 310, 1989 Club Fuji, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would use a combination of the two methods. Use the ice to get the majority off, then the WD-40 to get the remaining residue. If you get some WD-40 on the brake pads, clean it off with soap and water. There is also a product called Gu-Gone that works pretty good. You can get it at craft stores. It is similar to WD-40, but with more solvent and less oil.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought about the WD-40 but am a little *** shy about keeping it off of the pads and also the tires. I've got a bit on the rims also. I suppose I'll just take my time and use the ice method. The shame of it is that Today I'm working a double shift and won't be able to deal with the problem until tomorrow afternoon, which unfortunatley will cut into my ride time
    2006 Giant OCR2

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another gum story that's kinda funny and pretty painful. Yesterday, I grabbed a pair of bike shorts from the dryer, got dressed and went out for 15 mile ride. Barely into the ride I noticed an irritation in my backside. The longer I rode the more annoying it became, then it started to really hurt. No matter how much tugging and rearranging of my shorts helped. Well, I got home and went upstairs to change and take a shower. As I pulled off the shorts I discovered a piece of gum stuck in the shorts, and elsewhere. I can only assume someone left gum in their pockets that ended up in my shorts during the wash or dry.

Moral. Always check you shorts for UFOs (unidentified foreign objects).
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the rims I'd definately use the WD-40. You can always use a bit of solvent to clean the braking surface....
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
    Here is another gum story that's kinda funny and pretty painful. Yesterday, I grabbed a pair of bike shorts from the dryer, got dressed and went out for 15 mile ride. Barely into the ride I noticed an irritation in my backside. The longer I rode the more annoying it became, then it started to really hurt. No matter how much tugging and rearranging of my shorts helped. Well, I got home and went upstairs to change and take a shower. As I pulled off the shorts I discovered a piece of gum stuck in the shorts, and elsewhere. I can only assume someone left gum in their pockets that ended up in my shorts during the wash or dry.

Moral. Always check you shorts for UFOs (unidentified foreign objects).
    HAHAHAHA That is funny Hopedale.........Yet another errrrrrrr Sticky situation

Grampy, maybe I'll try that WD as well. Thanks
    2006 Giant OCR2